Debbie Downers Empowered By WGR550 Afternoon Drive

theRalph

Is it negative to take a wait and see approach? 

Are we we all hoping Allen is a franchise guy? Yes. Am I ready to shout definitively that Allen is that guy from the rooftops after one season like TS? No. Same goes for the free agent signings, we’ll see how it goes.

42 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Is it negative to take a wait and see approach? 

Are we we all hoping Allen is a franchise guy? Yes. Am I ready to shout definitively that Allen is that guy from the rooftops after one season like TS? No. Same goes for the free agent signings, we’ll see how it goes.

Sure but do you notice how quick hosts like Jeremy White crown other QBs? He acts like Baker Mayfield is already getting a bust in Canton. Wait and see is fine but apply that evenly to non-Bills QBs as well. Never forget that White HATED the Allen pick. He wanted Rosen.

I listened to the afternoon show every day last week and don't recall anything overly negative. I think the sentiment was that  after the Antonio Brown thing fell through they had to do something and that the plan that was enacted seems to be as good as any. 

I do recall a caller stating that the John Brown/Cole Beasley combo could possibly be the best WR combo the Bills have had in the last 30 years - which was of course shot down. 

I think part of the issue is that anything that is stated that is not overly optimistic is deemed as pessimistic, and that isn't necessarily the case. 

8 minutes ago, CBend said:

I listened to the afternoon show every day last week and don't recall anything overly negative. I think the sentiment was that  after the Antonio Brown thing fell through they had to do something and that the plan that was enacted seems to be as good as any. 

I do recall a caller stating that the John Brown/Cole Beasley combo could possibly be the best WR combo the Bills have had in the last 30 years - which was of course shot down. 

I think part of the issue is that anything that is stated that is not overly optimistic is deemed as pessimistic, and that isn't necessarily the case. 

I agree, I thought it was overly positive after free agency too.  

I don’t want local sports shows  to be Fluffers for the team.

Teams pay their own peopel to fluff them.  General Managers, Head Coaches, Play by Play Guys, “Beat Reporters”.

so many franchises provide their own people with enough knee pads, mouth wash to fluff long and good.

Giving both sides of a coin should not be considered negative or Debbie Downer (what a silly phrase).

simply down the middle.  I don’t think I’m being a “Debbie Downer” when I say...

Buffalo has improved in Offseason, but they still hAvent improved enough to be one of the Top 6-7 teams in the AFC.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
15 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I don’t want local sports shows  to be Fluffers for the team.

Teams pay their own peopel to fluff them.  General Managers, Head Coaches, Play by Play Guys, “Beat Reporters”.

so many franchises provide their own people with enough knee pads, mouth wash to fluff long and good.

Giving both sides of a coin should not be considered negative or Debbie Downer (what a silly phrase).

simply down the middle.  I don’t think I’m being a “Debbie Downer” when I say...

Buffalo has improved in Offseason, but they still hAvent improved enough to be one of the Top 6-7 teams in the AFC.

Okay but much of the WGR staff admit they don't do any research on the subject matter they talk about.  White and Sal are really the only on air personalities that aren't going through the motions.  I flat out change the station anytime I am listening and Paul Hamilton comes on, I am 100% serious on that.  How that guy is still employed is beyond me.  I know it's Buffalo and not New York but it would be nice if you could tune in and feel like one of those guys might actually expand your own thought process on sports.  There is being a fluffer like John Murphy, which I agree is also hard to listen to, but these guys have a cake job with subject matter that should be easy to research.  Most WGR personalities give you their minimum.  They could do much better.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

not sure that karma will catch the Pats***, but Ed Oliver will catch Brady and end the dynasty as Brady gets happy feet and throws too many INT's to Milano covering slow Gronk.  

Meanwhile, Allen puts up a all-pro year. 

I don't live in Buffalo, so I can't listen to this show, but WTF.  Of course Allen could have a worse season.  That happens, then Barkely plays.  More likely is that he has a better season.  And how on earth do we have a worse WR group this year???   Do they drink/do drugs while doing this show???

3 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Okay but much of the WGR staff admit they don't do any research on the subject matter they talk about.  White and Sal are really the only on air personalities that aren't going through the motions.  I flat out change the station anytime I am listening and Paul Hamilton comes on, I am 100% serious on that.  How that guy is still employed is beyond me.  I know it's Buffalo and not New York but it would be nice if you could tune in and feel like one of those guys might actually expand your own thought process on sports.  There is being a fluffer like John Murphy, which I agree is also hard to listen to, but these guys have a cake job with subject matter that should be easy to research.  Most WGR personalities give you their minimum.  They could do much better.

I would say the Mike Schoop is strictly a Numbers and Vegas Betting Line Guy.  That is how he presents himself.  He actually owns that he doesn’t attempt to try to be be or learn the X’s and O’s.

so I completely can see how a guy whose opinions are dirived solely from spreadsheets and Vegas woudl irk people.the optics of it aren’t great either 

23 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I would say the Mike Schoop is strictly a Numbers and Vegas Betting Line Guy.  That is how he presents himself.  He actually owns that he doesn’t attempt to try to be be or learn the X’s and O’s.

so I completely can see how a guy whose opinions are dirived solely from spreadsheets and Vegas woudl irk people.the optics of it aren’t great either 

It's a way to appear objective in the eyes of people who profiteer off of correct predictions.  Vegas is cold, unapologetic, and oftentimes, painfully accurate.  The stories of "sports books lost $750,000 on X game" last week are stories simply because sports books losing money is a rarity.  They profit because they are correct almost all of the time.  

Bills fans will complain when Vegas has the Bills as heavy underdogs, or a poor preseason Win/Loss record.  "No one respects the Bills".  "Hey here's another media idiot bagging on Buffalo".  We're all so defensive about our loser football team.  We're not losers because the Bills are losers!  And yes, they ARE losers.  Per ProFootballReference.com - Record (W-L-T): 415-477-8.  #SorryNotSorry.

Are you willing to bet your income that the Bills WILL win more than 8 games?  I'm not.  I don't gamble, but I must honestly say it's hard to put your money where your mouth is until we see consistent success.

What Mike Schopp tries to do EVERY DAY his mic turns on is be right, and be objective.  It's RIGHT to say "The Bills are unlikely to make the playoffs". Some of this is NOT their fault.  It's a function of living in the hopelessness of the AFC East.  He is paid to be RIGHT not a fan.  Does this make sense?

Josh Allen very well could be terrible. This is how the league works. Just because that hurts your feelings you don't have to write an essay here. 

The same exact thing happened last year. Vegas put a 6.5 over under on the Bills, WGR guys said yep that makes sense and expect the under. Tons of crying on this board and what do you know, 6-10...

I used to be a guy that hated the negativity on the radio but after about 20 straight years of losing it's sounding less like negativity and more like being factual. I will say this, they've all been pretty positive with the Bills and their trajectory so this thread is extra confusing.

Edited by Elite Poster

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

While I absolutely believe Rico pushed for Peterman to start (an example of the coaching arrogance I often point to "if only this guy ran MY system the way I designed it") the lengths McDermott went to prop up Peterman even after Rico was long gone says to me he didn't have to push very hard. McDermott believed Peterman was a capable NFL Quarterback. It is the biggest black mark against him as an NFL coach so far.

There are plenty of posters on here who loved Chip Kelly too. He really did hoodwink a lot of football people for a few years.

1)  I agree his fascination with Peterman was dumbfounding.   It makes you wonder if he was foolish enough to think that the LA game was some kind of test of his faith in Nay Pete from The Almighty himself.   Hopefully Baltimore cleared that up.   Sometimes a burning bush is just a bush that caught fire.?

2) I don't think Chip Kelly hoodwinked anyone.    He's basically an updated version of Mike Martz...........just a guy with a gimmick so great it takes the league by storm and can even win a championship and have an impact on the game for years after.    Kelly took over a 4-12 team and won 10 games in each of the next two seasons.   His larger impact on the league is the RPO and Nick Foles.........which netted a SB win for Philly.   I will gladly take that next hoodwinker if it nets a SB win in the near future.;)

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

2) I don't think Chip Kelly hoodwinked anyone.    He's basically an updated version of Mike Martz...........just a guy with a gimmick so great it takes the league by storm and can even win a championship and have an impact on the game for years after.    Kelly took over a 4-12 team and won 10 games in each of the next two seasons.   His larger impact on the league is the RPO and Nick Foles.........which netted a SB win for Philly.   I will gladly take that next hoodwinker if it nets a SB win in the near future.;)

Chip didn't win a championship though. He went 28-35 over two jobs and is out of the league.  He was one of the proponents of the RPO but far from the only one. He hoodwinked the league into believing he was more innovative than he was. Mike Martz was a better coach.

1 hour ago, Elite Poster said:

Josh Allen very well could be terrible. This is how the league works. Just because that hurts your feelings you don't have to write an essay here. 

The same exact thing happened last year. Vegas put a 6.5 over under on the Bills, WGR guys said yep that makes sense and expect the under. Tons of crying on this board and what do you know, 6-10...

I used to be a guy that hated the negativity on the radio but after about 20 straight years of losing it's sounding less like negativity and more like being factual. I will say this, they've all been pretty positive with the Bills and their trajectory so this thread is extra confusing.

There are some people who always want to be positive about the team and will always see any questioning as criticism. Some of the guys who will be most defensive of what the Bills have done this year (which I am a fan of so far by the way) will be the same people who were defensive in the light of anyone saying last summer "this team is not good, 6 wins looks like where we will end up, Clay and Benjamin are done" or any other legitimate criticisms that turned out to be accurate.

I considered myself a homer before I joined TBD..... but when I see some of the homerism on here I am not even close!

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Chip didn't win a championship though. He went 28-35 over two jobs and is out of the league.  He was one of the proponents of the RPO but far from the only one. He hoodwinked the league into believing he was more innovative than he was. Mike Martz was a better coach.

Martz didn't win a SB as a HC either........he was the Rams OC at the time.........but to me the only major difference is that Martz just had better players to operate his breakneck style gimmick.

And like Kelly's attack........necks did indeed get broke and flaws exposed.

Once the HOF'ers left Martz became terrible and has been a terrible OC as well.

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Never forget that White HATED the Allen pick. He wanted Rosen.

I was at (716) bar and grill for the draft last year. The entire place groaned when Allen was picked over Rosen. So no, I don't blame White for thinking the same thing a lot of other people in the country and the fan base thought prior to last season..