Debbie Downers Empowered By WGR550 Afternoon Drive

theRalph

3 hours ago, Steptide said:

To be fair, Josh Allen could be terrible next year, as well as the receivers and o line. 

However, the bills staff is definitely making a strong effort to improve this team and that's what's exciting about this off-season. I personally feel like we're a better team already just with the free agent signings, and we haven't even gotten to the draft yet. ALOT falls on Josh Allen's improvement this season though 

Agreed, IMO their downfall one way or another for better or worse is thinking their view has already happened and thus fact. Its tough bc when they have a pundit on - its an expert. They know their stuff by means of study (film or stats) and S&B think they are experts as well due to their profession but they dont put THAT style of work into it.... which is why they speak based off of their OPINION which is pretty meh. 

I also HATE HATE HATE the FF talk. No one cares about YOUR team. This goes for all of them. How does one say dont talk about ur SB squares bc no one cares and then turn around and spend 15 min talking about his FF team?!?! I hardly care about my team enough to talk abt it for 10 min let alone want to talk to thousands of people about it and think they care. SO dumb..

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I could get hit by a car when I walk outside this morning

but until that happens I choose to believe I’m gonna have a pretty good day

my views are the same with football

huhh??

13 minutes ago, dubs said:

Three of Schoop’s most advocated QBs are Tyrod Taylor, Colin Kaepernick, and Ryan Tannehill. He also loved Chip Kelly. 

really?? yikes

I would like to listen to Bills/Sabre’s talk on the ride home but I can’t stand Mike Schopp. I don’t like Bulldog either. If they had other personalities on Wgr at that time I would listen, but I just can’t tolerate them so, I listen to other stations instead. I’ll often listen in the morning though.

Edited by Superhero
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't understand how Schopp still has a job. You guys should just turn the dial when his show is on and stop talking about him. Indifference to that show is what will get it cancelled, talking about it cause you hate it just allows them to stay employed.

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 1

Living in Florida I often wonder about Huge Mood swings on this board. Its gotten so bad I can actually guess what the morning topic was.

WGR has way to much influence on Buffalo fans. That station will say anything to incite a mini Riot.

Edited by HOUSE

5 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Here's the thing about WGR.  It's a bunch of guys who never played sports and probably aren't very athletic thinking they know everything about sports because they check the stats.  They think they know more than the people who have been there and done it.  No matter how much you read about something, there are important things that you will never pick up on or know unless you do it yourself.  WGR is full of hacks.

Following you logic, Beane will never be a great GM like John Elway is.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Really? Ralph, were you just looking for attention? You have some explaining to do. 

Cannot disagree more thoroughly.  I tuned in 550 (rather then the podcasts that I usually listen to in the car) after the 2nd day of free agent signing.  I did this specifically because I could not imagine anyone on Buffalo radio not being energized by what the Bills front office had gotten done.  God was I wrong.  The 2 bozos on the afternoon drive show wouldn't stop talking about how old Frank Gore is... that the new receivers were not really all that good... and that the new O-linemen were all backups. I read a lot of the national coverage... plus places like ESPN and PFW... those places are almost unanimously saying that the Bill have done well.  Some are saying that they've done very well. Just don't hold your breath waiting for anyone in the Buffalo media to say anything nice about the Bills.  Sal Capaccio (on WGR) is the sole exception that I'm aware of. Sal's certainly not a cheerleader... but he's fair and balanced.  Everyone else is a waste of your time.

59 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

You and me both. It's ridiculously annoying.

... and incredibly disrespectful.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...WGR is about as convincing as a Dopey Dickie Jauron presser......BOTH make a wake exciting.......

WGR, Instigators, and One Bills live are homer, state run garbage. I take most things they say with a grain of salt. The instigators along with Rob Ray an crew are so afraid to say anything bad about the Sabres and how awful a coach Housley is.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
8 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Following you logic, Beane will never be a great GM like John Elway is.  

Sorry for insulting your son Mrs. White.  Last I recall John Elway has a Super Bowl as an executive and while I am a Beane fan, he has done pretty much nothing in the NFL, so this comparison makes you look foolish. 

You obviously missed the point though.  You can be a very good/great athlete without playing in the pros.  I can pretty much guarantee you that guys like White, Simon and Schopp, were never better than average (and that is stretching it) at any sport at any level.  They are stats nerds that don't understand the nuances of the games they talk about.  There is nothing wrong with that unless you act like you know more than everyone else, which they do.

Jeremy White for example was on Twitter 3 months ago trying to pick fights Sabres fans by rubbing it on their faces how right he was about the tank.  How'd that turn out?

The knowledgeable fans on this board and the knowledgeable fans at hockey's future, are far more informed and knowledgeable about football and hockey than the guys at WGR save Sal.  It is not close.  

15 hours ago, MJS said:

To be fair, Bills fans have been hit with the football car many, many times. After awhile you come to expect the pummeling.

So I don't blame people for choosing to hold on to their negativity.

with Schoop it is not that he is negative, he is often just wrong.  

15 hours ago, cba fan said:

Not true. Not true at all.

experience channeled the right way certainly helps no doubt but the world is filled with experts who know more, and are able to teach more, than many who have actually played or experienced any task we are talking about.

Good coaches see things players can not see as they have a completely different angle, and mental point of view, to the plays and see the big picture. Players are involved in heated close in one on one battles and can not always see the finer points of playing until they watch film and have it pointed out by coaches. 

other EX:

EX: military, martial arts, hand to hand fighters, etc etc teachers, there are many who can train you to effectively subdue and kill when appropriate human threats and yet they themselves have never killed anyone ever.

EX: Hall of Fame coaches Vince Lombardi, Paul Brown, Bill Walsh & Bill Belicheck never played any NFL or significant football.

EX: Manhatten project nuclear bomb scientists never built or detonated a nuclear bomb in battle. How could they possibly have known everything needed to build one?

my point: Everything ever accomplished in this world was done by someone who had never done it before.

I totally discount the argument people throw out in a fit of rage "well you never did it(or went through it) before so how would you know" card. That is pure BS.

JMO

I agree but i do think the entire station believes is stat too much.   n

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, theRalph said:

For all it's faults, the NFL has certainly made the offseason nearly as exciting as fall Sundays. We now have superb awareness of the machinations of the league in March and April. And most Bills' fans are, I believe, very impressed with the free agent class. Many, like me, have already developed a confidence and trust in the McBeane braintrust. Can't wait for the draft!

But the Debbie Downer Syndrome (DDS...which, like the dental reference, causes fear and pain) is still rampant with a group of fans, as well as with the afternoon drive personalities fielded by WGR550. If I hear once more that Josh Allen could be horrible next season, or that the wide receiver group is worse than last season, or that we really haven't improved the line.....

I attribute this negative way of thinking about the team, in part, to the hangover of drought effects. I mean c'mon....even the national media is warming to the Bills' offseason. But when you are a radio personality and feel the need to constantly cover your ass because the team has disappointed in past years, I turn you off. And when you DDS sufferers post here...you will get slammed, like the one thread I just read. The OP had to turn off the comments lol.

Take heart Bills Nation. It's OK, I promise, to have great hopes for the season.  The Patriots are done. The end of the dynasty has arrived...not because Brady or Belicheat are retiring, not because of natural timing/cycles, or not even because of a sinkhole developing under Gillette Stadium. It because KARMA will throttle this team after their disgusting, bordering on sub-human owner got caught with his pants down enabling human trafficking. He will spin in the wind and you may join me in pointing and laughing. At him, and then his team.

Out.

-theRalph

There are currently 5 positive threads about free agency on the first page of this forum, and one questioning how much the oline has been upgraded. So I'm not really sure what negativity you're talking about.

Edited by Chemical

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

McD is perhaps too open to suggestion............he let Rico take him down the Peterman hole during a playoff race.........

While I absolutely believe Rico pushed for Peterman to start (an example of the coaching arrogance I often point to "if only this guy ran MY system the way I designed it") the lengths McDermott went to prop up Peterman even after Rico was long gone says to me he didn't have to push very hard. McDermott believed Peterman was a capable NFL Quarterback. It is the biggest black mark against him as an NFL coach so far.

15 hours ago, dubs said:

Three of Schopp’s most advocated QBs are Tyrod Taylor, Colin Kaepernick, and Ryan Tannehill. He also loved Chip Kelly. 

There are plenty of posters on here who loved Chip Kelly too. He really did hoodwink a lot of football people for a few years.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...this gang has their act together and perhaps more so the the Polian Era.......SEVENTEEN years of "F Troop" misfits running the s*%t show was MORE than enough IMO...

F Troop misfits previously at OBD, or F Troop misfits at WGR?  

A local level ‘talk radio’ show exists due to contrived controversy, be it sports or current events.