Debbie Downers Empowered By WGR550 Afternoon Drive

theRalph

26 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

More so than the Polian era?   

The Bills had the most talented roster in the AFC by the middle of 1987(Biscuit trade) and maintained that rank until at least the end of the 1993 season.

McBeane could have a Wilson/Carroll Seahawks-esque run and not reach that level of excellence...........you have the bar set very high my friend............I like it.........expect a Patriot-like run.  

20 years of McAllen dominance or BUST!:thumbsup:

FWIW, Polian consistently praises McD, Allen, and Beane when he's on radio.  That's a pretty serious endorsement, given the above.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Here's the thing about WGR.  It's a bunch of guys who never played sports and probably aren't very athletic thinking they know everything about sports because they check the stats.  They think they know more than the people who have been there and done it.  No matter how much you read about something, there are important things that you will never pick up on or know unless you do it yourself.  WGR is full of hacks.

I've always hated this argument.  At want point does "playing the sport" qualify your opinion as worthy?  Lots of guys are here talking about sports they didn't play professionally.  Where does it start and end?  Do you have to play in college or high school for your opinion to count?  Is middle school enough?  It's baseless.  If you want to use that argument some one needs to quantify what it means so we know who we should or should not be listening to.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, theRalph said:

But the Debbie Downer Syndrome (DDS...which, like the dental reference, causes fear and pain) is still rampant with a group of fans, as well as with the afternoon drive personalities fielded by WGR550.

So, to re-state, there's an opinion out there you disagree with?

And you find this shocking and unreasonable?

Gosh, glad you shared that.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

These complaints are imaginary 

Wgr has been very positive about the bills' activity in free agency.  Have not heard one person suggest the o line or the WRs got worse.  

Negative about the sabres because they deserve it.  

Was gonna say, Schopp’s shtick has worn me out over the years but I have only heard him talk positively about the free agent signings.  This OP is entirely contrived.

6 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I've always hated this argument.  At want point does "playing the sport" qualify your opinion as worthy?  Lots of guys are here talking about sports they didn't play professionally.  Where does it start and end?  Do you have to play in college or high school for your opinion to count?  Is middle school enough?  It's baseless.  If you want to use that argument some one needs to quantify what it means so we know who we should or should not be listening to.

I don’t know man- who do you prefer, Bob Costas or Jason Witten?

7 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

FWIW, Polian consistently praises McD, Allen, and Beane when he's on radio.  That's a pretty serious endorsement, given the above.

He always preferred coaches that he could manipulate.......Levy, Capers, Caldwell, Jauron(he loved Jauron)........even Dungy wasn't a guy who would pick a fight with Bill Polian.

McD is perhaps too open to suggestion............he let Rico take him down the Peterman hole during a playoff race.........he let his buddy Castillo bring Ducasse with him and has given coaches a ton of influence in personnel acquisitions(which wouldn't sit too well with most scouting staffs).   I'm sure Polian sees McD as a guy he could steer.

Alpha's like Belichick, Joe Gibbs, Bill Parcells,  Bill Walsh.........those dudes wouldn't suffer Polian and he steered clear of those types when hiring.

And that's why he has just 1 Lombardi instead of about 5 or 6 between those gifted Bills and Colts teams.     Just one SB win with Peyton Manning.........wow.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

If you want to hear far, FAR better analysis -- broadcasts that actually feature legitimate information and breakdowns, interesting topics, and a dose of optimism or at least fairness -- Listen to the Cover 1 or Locked On Bills podcasts. BOTH are far superior to anything WGR puts on.

Thanks @Logic, I admit I wasn’t even aware of those 2 options for Bills analysis. Have pulled up the podcasts and will dig in! 

10 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Was gonna say, Schopp’s shtick has worn me out over the years but I have only heard him talk positively about the free agent signings.  This OP is entirely contrived.

I don’t know man- who do you prefer, Bob Costas or Jason Witten?

I will let @Joe in Winslowhandle the Schopp take down :D, and yes, I also feel like Schopp has been less than fair in his Josh Allen takes—but to each their own I guess. 

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

These complaints are imaginary 

Wgr has been very positive about the bills' activity in free agency.  Have not heard one person suggest the o line or the WRs got worse.  

Negative about the sabres because they deserve it.  

White whined all Tuesday’s show that Beane did nothing to improve the WR core...

2 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Here's the thing about WGR.  It's a bunch of guys who never played sports and probably aren't very athletic thinking they know everything about sports because they check the stats.  They think they know more than the people who have been there and done it.  No matter how much you read about something, there are important things that you will never pick up on or know unless you do it yourself.  WGR is full of hacks.

Not true. Not true at all.

experience channeled the right way certainly helps no doubt but the world is filled with experts who know more, and are able to teach more, than many who have actually played or experienced any task we are talking about.

Good coaches see things players can not see as they have a completely different angle, and mental point of view, to the plays and see the big picture. Players are involved in heated close in one on one battles and can not always see the finer points of playing until they watch film and have it pointed out by coaches. 

other EX:

EX: military, martial arts, hand to hand fighters, etc etc teachers, there are many who can train you to effectively subdue and kill when appropriate human threats and yet they themselves have never killed anyone ever.

EX: Hall of Fame coaches Vince Lombardi, Paul Brown, Bill Walsh & Bill Belicheck never played any NFL or significant football.

EX: Manhatten project nuclear bomb scientists never built or detonated a nuclear bomb in battle. How could they possibly have known everything needed to build one?

my point: Everything ever accomplished in this world was done by someone who had never done it before.

I totally discount the argument people throw out in a fit of rage "well you never did it(or went through it) before so how would you know" card. That is pure BS.

JMO

Edited by cba fan

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I could get hit by a car when I walk outside this morning

but until that happens I choose to believe I’m gonna have a pretty good day

my views are the same with football

To be fair, Bills fans have been hit with the football car many, many times. After awhile you come to expect the pummeling.

So I don't blame people for choosing to hold on to their negativity.

18 minutes ago, MJS said:

To be fair, Bills fans have been hit with the football car many, many times. After awhile you come to expect the pummeling.

So I don't blame people for choosing to hold on to their negativity.

I blame the car driver for not doing a better job and sending them to a better place (i.e. Phish Haven).

2 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Speak for yourself. Mike schoops wife was a tennis player. 

3 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

The ironic part about WGR is that no one on their staff is much of an expert in sports. They are just Buffalo guys who talk about sports, but really don't know that much about sports.

The exception is The Instigators who are all ex-players who know hockey. The rest are guys with inertia. Been there forever with no competition.

The result of being so clueless is they can't do any kind of in-depth analysis of teams, players or coaches. They couldn't tell you if any of the free agents the Bills signed are any good, or what those players did with other teams. They bring "experts" on for that.

Their real forte is bringing up past failures. Any move the Sabres or Bills make that reminds of a move in the past that didn't work out. It's really telling listening when there is good news. They almost don't know how to deal with it. Schoop is the most glaring example. You could hear how disappointed he is.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, theRalph said:

If I hear once more that Josh Allen could be horrible next season, or that the wide receiver group is worse than last season, or that we really haven't improved the line.....

I guess, how do we know until they play the season and find out?