Happy St Patrick's Day!

Chef Jim

10 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Thank heaven I'm polish. ?

Same here.

My father was a pita when he worked on the railroad.  Our family makes their name sound Irish going way back because the railroad was all Italian & Irish.  He said he'd wear orange (even know we are Roman Catholic) on St.Patrick's Day... Always starting a fight.  Of course back in the day when you actually could solve work place disputes with your fists.

/smh... 

My grandfather, uncles all worked on the railroad too.  When my father first got on, the different ethnicities knew how to pick on others... The Irish running the show were no exception... Until one proved themselves by slapping around the ones that bullied.  That earned respect.

Oh... Happy St.Pat's Day from a Polish guy with an Irish sounding name.  FiL is South Buffalo Irish...  

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My grandfather, uncles all worked on the railroad too.  

Same here..and my gram was a maintenance worker at BGH.They never drove a day in their lives...lived on Gatchell (Broadway/Bailey).

My mom was 50 % irish....

Edited by Misterbluesky
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Same here..and my gram was a maintenance worker at BGH.They never drove a day in their lives...lived on Gatchell (Broadway/Bailey).

My mom was 50 % irish....

Same with all four my grandparents.  Early on, they had a driver's license both grandfathers... But usually to borrow a family or friend's vehicle...

Like the day my 9 year old father ran away from home during World War II.  He hitched a freight in Cheektowaga and ended up in Rochester.  My grandfather had to borrow a car, Take a day off of work and pick him up at the police station in Rochester.  My grandfather's reply upon seeing my father in Rochester: "Wait till I get you home you little bass...Terd!"  The police officer looked at my father and said: "He hits you, you run right back here."  The whole ride... My father was like: "Don't YOU hit me!"  Another day off and a borrowed car! LMAO!

The old-timers should have been car owners!  LoL...

But... I digress... Funny story of a borrowed car.

Got a couple of other funny stories... But I will save it for Dyngus Day in a month.  Don't want to rain on the Irish parade...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

Happy St Pattys day 2BD chatters...Today I wore head to toe green including sparkle earrings and handbag ? traditional corned beef and cabbage dinner with irish soda bread with Kerry gold soft butter tonight (sprouts market)  this holiday is HUGE here in san diego and as a matter of fact the local Billsbackers bar held at PB Local had a Bills themed float in the annual St Pattys day parade held yesterday which is EPIC I'll try to post a pic.

shucks pic wouldn't load it is on facebook under san diego Billsbackers

Edited by muppy

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'm finally getting a kamado tomorrow. Getting the one from Costco and using my rewards money. All in all it's about $300 out of pocket. Hard for me to justify $1600 for kamado joe or even a green egg since I'm a weekend warrior type of griller.

Even as a weekend warrior it’s worth it. 

St. Paddy's Day isn't much at all in the old country. It's HUGE here in the US. Not so much back there.

Oh, and lasagna. Just lasagna and some extra sauce... delicious. And I'm part Irish.

Edited by Nanker

6 hours ago, Augie said:

I haven’t been in decades, but Savannah, GA used to have CRAZY St Patrick’s Day/Weekend. It was HUGE and included a rugby tournament with teams from all over the country. My college buddies/teammates played in the tournament when I first met my wife. It was the ultimate test. I said “if you want out after meeting these guys, I’ll understand”. She’s usually a much better decision maker, but here we are 35 years later. 

We’ll just be having leftover beef shorts ribs from a nice gathering we had last night. Moving a bit slowly today, so leftovers it is....

On a side note, I got the short ribs from Whole Foods and while there I noticed they had mashed potatoes on the hot bar. Without really thinking I decided to skip a step and just get those. (I had some new stuff I was trying also, so it seemed fair to go simple.) I filled up my little tray with mashed potatoes and realized what I’d done when it rang up as $22 for about a dollars worth of potatoe if I’d just done it myself. Oops! DCTom has a name for people like me.....

https://www.foxnews.com/us/savannah-sees-trash-mess-after-st-patricks-day-celebrations-sparking-anger

??

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

That sounds about right. There was a river on River St running parallel  along the river. It was the countless  porta potties simply overflowing and waves of urine running down the road. I’m shocked it didn’t carry away more of the trash! 

Funny, a couple weeks ago in Nashville I met a guy who used to own a hotel in the Savannah historic district. He said they made more money selling beer through a door St Patricks Day weekend than they did the first two months of the year.