What performance metrics do you expect from 9 million dollar RBs and WRs

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

McCoy - 100+ yards/gm (rushing & receiving)

Brown - 2-3 deep attempts/gm (in addition to any other medium/short range plays), 8 TDs on the year

Wow, 100+ yards per game? You realize that's at least a 1600 yard season, right? That's a lot to expect from an older RB. I'll be happy if he gets 1000 yards this year, which is about 63 yards per game.

35 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

That is a likely outcome as this offense will spread the ball around based on matchups.

Had Flacco remained his QB last season I believe Browns numbers would have been much higher.

Yeah, Brown was having a good season until Flacco came out and the offense changed to a gimmicky run first offense. His numbers fell off a cliff after that.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

basic numbers for me on $9 million RB-1400 total yards and 12 tds-can be 900 rushing and 500 receiving or any combination but that makes $9 million a good investment. 

For a receiver it is harder for me to say because if John Brown is taking top off D and it allows Zay to go for 1200 yards he is worth it, but I expect John Brown to go for about 600 yds and 4 tds which I think will not be worth it-though I will gladly be wrong about Brown. 

850 and 6 would be good for 27th WR if thats what ppl want to measure it buy.  For me I just want him to do his part as that is all he can control.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

16 minutes ago, MJS said:

Wow, 100+ yards per game? You realize that's at least a 1600 yard season, right? That's a lot to expect from an older RB. I'll be happy if he gets 1000 yards this year, which is about 63 yards per game.

Yeah, Brown was having a good season until Flacco came out and the offense changed to a gimmicky run first offense. His numbers fell off a cliff after that.

Apparently McCoy must have an AllPro season to earn his 9 mil.

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Wow. You do realize I wrote 100+ yards per game rushing AND RECEIVING? Something like 70 rush, 30 receive....

11 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I expect more from the RB than the WR.  But football is a team sport.  So what I expect is for them to do their part and hopefully everyone else does theirs.

Stop being logical you’re ruining the thread ...,,,

• Haha (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Stop being logical you’re ruining the thread ...,,,

Sorry I thought it was my week to be the reasonable one.  I will go back to being overdramatic and unrealistic till tomorrow.

If he even plays close to the value of that contract he should have 2000 yards and 40 TDs. If he doesnt it means we should have drafted Rosen and should fire everyone.??

Edited by formerlyofCtown

In this offense Brown should end up around 1000 yards and 10 tds.  Give or take.  A little more maybe a little less.  Last year he was pacing that with Flacco under center.  The Lamar Jackson Wing T killed his production.  His best wr was with Carson Palmer who threw a good deep ball.  Doubling down on Allen's strengths makes sense.  I see no issue with Browns deal.  Imo If larger deals were done, and Buffalo was closer to the cap shady would get the first call.  They are going running back by committee.  McCoy third down and passing back Gore short yardage. A rookie as future not so future feature back.

For $9 million, I hope we can start with a guy who doesn’t pee like a dog on the kickers net. How is the kicker supposed to feel good pulling his ball out of there? 

I think we will draft a RB round 3-4 who will get serious carries by the end of the year. 

14 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

The two high priced cogs in the Bills offensive machine are McCoy and John Brown.   What level of performance will be considered good performances for the investment this year? 

I realize there are no substitutes for winning, so if the team goes 19-0, no one will care even if they are cut.  Just a  question on what would be considered good results for the investment. (I also realize McCoy is a sunk cost, but still what are people hoping for from him to consider his season a success? ) 

Helping Allen progress, that is the ultimate goal and both players can do that, Allen doesn't have to put the entire team on his back/arm. Shady and Gore should take some of the pressure off. John Brown is the veteran deep threat who's been doing it for quite some time now, like I said in another rant he was well on his way to putting up his best numbers ever as a pro until Flacco got injured. We have the deep threats in Foster/Brown and the guys catching all the underneath stuff in Beasley/Jones.

13 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

If you read the initial post, you would realize that I 100% covered your point about winning.  

Your post was about good performance for the investment.  My post was about the pointlessness of that comparison.  There is no stat that meaningfully captures the performance of players other than qbs.  Nothing measures Beasley's route running or blocking, nothing measures Gore's pass protection or locker room presence.  Even YP reception and YP carry aren't very useful measures of value.

Putting dollar values on performance makes even less sense.  

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Helping Allen progress, that is the ultimate goal and both players can do that, Allen doesn't have to put the entire team on his back/arm. Shady and Gore should take some of the pressure off. John Brown is the veteran deep threat who's been doing it for quite some time now, like I said in another rant he was well on his way to putting up his best numbers ever as a pro until Flacco got injured. We have the deep threats in Foster/Brown and the guys catching all the underneath stuff in Beasley/Jones.

Right. If Brown contributes meaningfully to Allen's success, then Brown was worth it regardless of his stats.

17 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I will start with WR - based upon Spotrac both Brown and Beasley are around 30th to 35th WR contracts in the league.  So that is low end starter level - so what would I expect - at that level and price - I expect complimentary pieces that are going to make plays and keep the offense moving.  

I am not expecting 1500 yards and 100 catches from either.  At that level we should be looking for 60 catches and maybe 750 to 1000 yards for Brown - maybe mid 15+ YPA and for Beasley probably 50-60 catches - maybe 600-750 yards and a bunch of 3rd down conversions.

I do not consider John Brown a high priced piece based upon the recent WR contracts as he is paid as one of the lower starting guys in the league with additional FAs and contracts 

18 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

The two high priced cogs in the Bills offensive machine are McCoy and John Brown.   What level of performance will be considered good performances for the investment this year? 

I realize there are no substitutes for winning, so if the team goes 19-0, no one will care even if they are cut.  Just a  question on what would be considered good results for the investment. (I also realize McCoy is a sunk cost, but still what are people hoping for from him to consider his season a success? ) 

I think when it comes to Brown it's not just stats which I think will be reasonable.  He'll get about 700yds and 6-8 tds. It's the attention he will command that can really be the difference for this offense.  

Edited by BillsFan1988

20 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Depends on the QB and O-Line. $9 million is cheap as hell though.

It's all about winning, and whether those players are helping us do it.

I couldn't care less about stats.

If we load up on weapons, there is no way that every receiver is going to get 70+ receptions and 1000+ yards.

I want John Brown and Robert Foster to force defenses to keep their safeties playing deep.  Then Cole Beasley, Zay Jones (and maybe a rookie TE) start picking them apart underneath.  When they adjust to the shorter passing game, we hit them with a deep shot.  When they start bringing in more DBs to defend all the receiving weapons, we run them over with LeSean McCoy and Frank Gore.