What performance metrics do you expect from 9 million dollar RBs and WRs

The two high priced cogs in the Bills offensive machine are McCoy and John Brown.   What level of performance will be considered good performances for the investment this year? 

I realize there are no substitutes for winning, so if the team goes 19-0, no one will care even if they are cut.  Just a  question on what would be considered good results for the investment. (I also realize McCoy is a sunk cost, but still what are people hoping for from him to consider his season a success? ) 

21 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

The two high priced cogs in the Bills offensive machine are McCoy and John Brown.   What level of performance will be considered good performances for the investment this year? 

I realize there are no substitutes for winning, so if the team goes 19-0, no one will care even if they are cut.  Just a  question on what would be considered good results for the investment. (I also realize McCoy is a sunk cost, but still what are people hoping for from him to consider his season a success? ) 

You mean the 27th highest paid WR in the league.  I actually expect a pretty solid season.  750 and 6-8TDs in the first year.  He may exceed that depending on the Offense and the Oline.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I will start with WR - based upon Spotrac both Brown and Beasley are around 30th to 35th WR contracts in the league.  So that is low end starter level - so what would I expect - at that level and price - I expect complimentary pieces that are going to make plays and keep the offense moving.  

I am not expecting 1500 yards and 100 catches from either.  At that level we should be looking for 60 catches and maybe 750 to 1000 yards for Brown - maybe mid 15+ YPA and for Beasley probably 50-60 catches - maybe 600-750 yards and a bunch of 3rd down conversions.

I do not consider John Brown a high priced piece based upon the recent WR contracts as he is paid as one of the lower starting guys in the league with additional FAs and contracts coming.

Edited by Rochesterfan

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

McCoy - 100+ yards/gm (rushing & receiving)

Brown - 2-3 deep attempts/gm (in addition to any other medium/short range plays), 8 TDs on the year

8 isnt unthinkable but he isnt the only deep threat in this offense of which Allen already has chemistry with Foster.  8 is probably the max with 6 being more likely.  Only time will tell.

Him an Foster could be a real nightmare on crossing patterns and pick plays.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

I think the question itself is meaningless.  It's a team game, and who accumulates yards and points simply doesn't matter. 

Offensive total yards and total points and defensive total yards and total points are what matters.  By far, the only individual stats that matter are the QBS stats.  

The relationship between a player's compensation and his stats is really, really pointless.  If Shady gains 114 yards on the season and catches 12 passes, and if the Bills go 12-4, why Wil I care how much he was paid?  

It's a team game.  

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think the question itself is meaningless.  It's a team game, and who accumulates yards and points simply doesn't matter. 

Offensive total yards and total points and defensive total yards and total points are what matters.  By far, the only individual stats that matter are the QBS stats.  

The relationship between a player's compensation and his stats is really, really pointless.  If Shady gains 114 yards on the season and catches 12 passes, and if the Bills go 12-4, why Wil I care how much he was paid?  

It's a team game.  

If you read the initial post, you would realize that I 100% covered your point about winning.  

There's really not anything McCoy can do this season to justify his contract, he's not that player anymore, and probably won't have enough touches to reach his former levels. But he can still have a very good year if he stays healthy, and I'm ok with that.

2 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I'd hope McCoy can have a bounce back season and put up around 4.5 ypa on about 150 carries.

John Brown should get 800+ yards with 5+ TD's if he can stay healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

8 isnt unthinkable but he isnt the only deep threat in this offense of which Allen already has chemistry with Foster.  8 is probably the max with 6 being more likely.  Only time will tell.

Him an Foster could be a real nightmare on crossing patterns and pick plays.

Can Brown & Allen hook up on the deep ball, we'll have to see. I think if Zay can get 7 TDs last year, Brown can get 8 this year. Zay hasn't been good either year he's been here. 176 balls have been thrown his way and he only has 83 catches. ?

43 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Can Brown & Allen hook up on the deep ball, we'll have to see. I think if Zay can get 7 TDs last year, Brown can get 8 this year. Zay hasn't been good either year he's been here. 176 balls have been thrown his way and he only has 83 catches. ?

This year is the year for him to show it.  It can take 3 years for a college WR to adjust and develope.  He has definitely gotten better as time has gone on.  Really showed some flashes last season.

basic numbers for me on $9 million RB-1400 total yards and 12 tds-can be 900 rushing and 500 receiving or any combination but that makes $9 million a good investment. 

For a receiver it is harder for me to say because if John Brown is taking top off D and it allows Zay to go for 1200 yards he is worth it, but I expect John Brown to go for about 600 yds and 4 tds which I think will not be worth it-though I will gladly be wrong about Brown. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'd hope McCoy can have a bounce back season and put up around 4.5 ypa on about 150 carries.

John Brown should get 800+ yards with 5+ TD's if he can stay healthy.

I’d like to see McCoy get 30-40 receptions as well.... out in created space preferably. 

3 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

You mean the 27th highest paid WR in the league.  I actually expect a pretty solid season.  750 and 6-8TDs in the first year.  He may exceed that depending on the Offense and the Oline.

I expect 600 yards and 4-5 TDs from Brown (3rd best season of his career) and 900 yards and 4-5 touchdowns from McCoy (Second best season in 5 years). Any more than that is unfair to the players.

13 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I expect 600 yards and 4-5 TDs from Brown (3rd best season of his career) and 900 yards and 4-5 touchdowns from McCoy (Second best season in 5 years). Any more than that is unfair to the players.

That is a likely outcome as this offense will spread the ball around based on matchups.

Had Flacco remained his QB last season I believe Browns numbers would have been much higher.