This WR corps still sucks

But it's much improved from last year as is the OL.  You cant have it all.  If you want a proven WR ...see what OBJ cost the Browns in a trade plus his cap hit to go along with it.  I would say Beane has been quite active and its only March.   There aren't many WR1s on the trade block at the current time and if a team has one...I doubt it will come cheap.

• Like (+1) 1

What were people really expecting to happen? The WR group and the O line both needed a major overhaul, sure there was a lot of cap space but you use it on guys like AB, OBJ, or Leveon Bell and your running out of space real quick and you'll still have plenty of holes to fill.

• Like (+1) 2

You just don't realize that Beane isn't done.  He's not done improving the OL, DL, LB, RB, TE, CB, S, Special Teams, AND WR.  All of these moves were just 1 step.  Step 2 is the draft.  Beane has 10 picks to play with and he will continue to make moves.  He'll improve this team so much in the next few months that playoff teams will be picking up the guys that don't make his 53.  Get on board and enjoy the ride.

1 hour ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Yet another guy who starts a thread and never returns to it. Just what we needed.

OP is supposed to defend themselves against 20 different ppl coming at him at once?  He posted something that was his opinion.  I'm surprised how upset a lot of you are about the post.  I said in a different thread that I'm very underwhelmed by the Wr pickups so far and the op did a good job explaining why.  The stats speak for themselves.  Do I think the players will perform better than what they have done recently?  Yes I do but Allen is not the qb that hits the quick strikes and slants to the fast guy underneath.  IMO he needs guys with a big catch radius that will make plays and be aggressive for the ball.  I like what Beane is doing and I know that there wasn't a lot to choose from when it comes to the wide recievers in FA but I don't think we are set at wr.  Not even close.  God forbid somebody have an opinion other than the popular one.  Especially when they back it up with numbers to reinforce their opinion.  

Edited by DallasMac
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

How do you feel about the Jets WRs, or Dolphins or Patriots? 

.....because we have a better WR Corp than any of them.   Maybe that’s just a referendum on our division, but I think you need to see what Foster/Brown/Beasley/Zay look like with Allen and an improved line.  

I'd still take Anderson and Onunwa over what we have. But yes it's better than the Dolphins. 

I do kind of see where the OP is coming from. This remains a below par WR group unless what you saw from Robert Foster in the 2nd half of last season is a standard that can be maintained. But at the same time it is significantly better than last season when unless you talked yourself into believing Kelvin Benjamin was suddenly going to refind the desire he played with as a rookie (I didnt but many did) what we had was a group of barely NFL level players. 

I still think they will draft a guy somewhere in the first two days but they now have enough NFL standard receivers that they are not desperate there and don't have to reach. 

Welcome to your 1st warning, OP. 

This isn’t kindergarten. You don’t get to drop a turd in the middle of the classroom, then run out the door. 

You stick around -and in this case- take your beatings like a man. You’re posting, which means you accepted the T’s & C’s and posting protocol.

PS, your thread sucks.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I agree with the OP that our WR’s are not elite,  but at least we now have Brown and Beasley who would start on any NFL roster and Jones and Foster who are young and improving. 

The only way Beane could have made our WR core stronger would be to trade for AB or OBJ. Each of these risk damaging the team-first culture they worked so hard to build and would sacrifice draft equity that will improve the team further before week 1.  I think we’ll be adding a stud D-lineman, but we will add at least one, maybe two week one starters in the draft. 

I think our WR core is much better than a year ago and I think our first round pick is better used to improve another position.  

FP

• Like (+1) 3

Op should have titled it different. Still sucks is totally out of place. We have no idea if it sucks. 

More of a trolling like at me thread. 

If they do suck this this season then he can come back and say I told you so. Allen could make them the best receivers in the league.  

• Like (+1) 1

question is OP.

could there be a chance this corps is better then last years corps?

since I'm unable to answer that nor even yourself can answer that since they have yet to set the roster or take the field, you really don't know if they're better or worse so I have to totally disagree with your OP.

it's easy to be pessimistic as a bills fan and hard for some to find any reason to be optimistic but even this old pessimistic fan has seen plenty so far this off season to be optimistic about, plenty.

oh, and that includes the recent wr corps signings. but hey, that's just me.

7 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I've been seeing a lot of positive posts about the state of the franchise, Beane is awesome, etc. and wanted to come in with some truth (negativity).

Our WR corps was the worst in the league last season. It's now been upgraded to.... a bottom 5 unit? I'm trying to be hopeful here (and there's still the draft), but this group absolutely sucks on paper. 

Zay Jones - 2nd rd pick 3 years ago. In 2 seasons he's shown occasional flashes, but to call him anything more than a WR3 at this point is unrealistic. 

John Brown - 5 full seasons in the NFL and he has 1 season of 1,000+ yards (the only season of 1k receiving yards by any receiver on our roster). In 2015 he hit exactly 1,003 yards. Through 5 seasons he's somewhere between a bad WR2 and a good WR3. 

Cole Beasley - 7 full seasons in the NFL and his best season was 833 yards. He's the definition of a WR3. 

Robert Foster - UDFA with 1 half season experience. He played pretty well, and could potentially be a diamond in the rough. He's a complete wild card. 

We don't have anything even close to resembling a WR1 on this team. Heck, we don't even have a WR2 on this team. John Brown is the best option, and he'd be considered a pretty bad WR2 on most teams. 

Image result for kramer running gif
  • Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

I agree with the OP that our WR’s are not elite,  but at least we now have Brown and Beasley who would start on any NFL roster and Jones and Foster who are young and improving. 

The only way Beane could have made our WR core stronger would be to trade for AB or OBJ. Each of these risk damaging the team-first culture they worked so hard to build and would sacrifice draft equity that will improve the team further before week 1.  I think we’ll be adding a stud D-lineman, but we will add at least one, maybe two week one starters in the draft. 

I think our WR core is much better than a year ago and I think our first round pick is better used to improve another position.  

FP

But the op didn’t say our wrs weren’t elite, which means they could still be good or atleast average he said they flat out suck. 

6 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I've been seeing a lot of positive posts about the state of the franchise, Beane is awesome, etc. and wanted to come in with some truth (negativity).

Our WR corps was the worst in the league last season. It's now been upgraded to.... a bottom 5 unit? I'm trying to be hopeful here (and there's still the draft), but this group absolutely sucks on paper. 

Zay Jones - 2nd rd pick 3 years ago. In 2 seasons he's shown occasional flashes, but to call him anything more than a WR3 at this point is unrealistic. 

John Brown - 5 full seasons in the NFL and he has 1 season of 1,000+ yards (the only season of 1k receiving yards by any receiver on our roster). In 2015 he hit exactly 1,003 yards. Through 5 seasons he's somewhere between a bad WR2 and a good WR3. 

Cole Beasley - 7 full seasons in the NFL and his best season was 833 yards. He's the definition of a WR3. 

Robert Foster - UDFA with 1 half season experience. He played pretty well, and could potentially be a diamond in the rough. He's a complete wild card. 

We don't have anything even close to resembling a WR1 on this team. Heck, we don't even have a WR2 on this team. John Brown is the best option, and he'd be considered a pretty bad WR2 on most teams. 

You can always leave if you're going to crap on the team like this.  The door is that way ------------------->

I don't know that I disagree with you about the WR1 but I'm guessing it won't matter as long as we have solid capable options.  I am most excited about Beasley, he is a solid slot guy that will do what needs to be done.  Reminds me of a Welker and sounds like the Pats were interested in signing him too.

“You know what this board needs is more newbies teeming with negativity” - said no veteran TSWer ever.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2