This WR corps still sucks

I've been seeing a lot of positive posts about the state of the franchise, Beane is awesome, etc. and wanted to come in with some truth (negativity).

Our WR corps was the worst in the league last season. It's now been upgraded to.... a bottom 5 unit? I'm trying to be hopeful here (and there's still the draft), but this group absolutely sucks on paper. 

Zay Jones - 2nd rd pick 3 years ago. In 2 seasons he's shown occasional flashes, but to call him anything more than a WR3 at this point is unrealistic. 

John Brown - 5 full seasons in the NFL and he has 1 season of 1,000+ yards (the only season of 1k receiving yards by any receiver on our roster). In 2015 he hit exactly 1,003 yards. Through 5 seasons he's somewhere between a bad WR2 and a good WR3. 

Cole Beasley - 7 full seasons in the NFL and his best season was 833 yards. He's the definition of a WR3. 

Robert Foster - UDFA with 1 half season experience. He played pretty well, and could potentially be a diamond in the rough. He's a complete wild card. 

We don't have anything even close to resembling a WR1 on this team. Heck, we don't even have a WR2 on this team. John Brown is the best option, and he'd be considered a pretty bad WR2 on most teams. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

Always good to know we can count on this type of post creeping to to piss in the punchbowl

Zay Jones - fighting to even keep his spot on the roster.....but every year with the team has made a leap of improvement

John Brown - speed...speed....speed.....to go with Josh Allen's arm.   Veteran guy.......better then what we had there previously

Cole Beasely - Mr. Third down....one of the BEST slot receivers in the league....do some research stat boy

Robert Foster - one of the best WR's in the league when he was brought back up to the team......a very nice find

Stop looking at the team in terms of who the number 1 receiver in the league is.....the Patriots have won for YEARS without having a legit number 1......you just need guys that compliment the strengths of your QB

Oh....and lost in all of that.....Maybe the OL might be able to make a more balanced offense by actually being able to run block some and allow Josh to sit in the pocket with that rocket arm of his and get the ball to Mr. Third down or down to his speed receivers...of which their are a few.

So......take a lap

• Like (+1) 12
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Drink a beer, Debbie Downer. Zay, and especially Foster looked awesome second half of last year. Cole is a slot guy (and a great one) and Brown is a home run threat. Each has their reasons for less than top numbers on paper, but as a group, has crazy potential (and don't forget about Duke). Yes, Bills might add in draft,  but even if they don't, we're feeling good, Captain buzzkill.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I've been seeing a lot of positive posts about the state of the franchise, Beane is awesome, etc. and wanted to come in with some truth (negativity).

Our WR corps was the worst in the league last season. It's now been upgraded to.... a bottom 5 unit? I'm trying to be hopeful here (and there's still the draft), but this group absolutely sucks on paper. 

Zay Jones - 2nd rd pick 3 years ago. In 2 seasons he's shown occasional flashes, but to call him anything more than a WR3 at this point is unrealistic. 

John Brown - 5 full seasons in the NFL and he has 1 season of 1,000+ yards (the only season of 1k receiving yards by any receiver on our roster). In 2015 he hit exactly 1,003 yards. Through 5 seasons he's somewhere between a bad WR2 and a good WR3. 

Cole Beasley - 7 full seasons in the NFL and his best season was 833 yards. He's the definition of a WR3. 

Robert Foster - UDFA with 1 half season experience. He played pretty well, and could potentially be a diamond in the rough. He's a complete wild card. 

We don't have anything even close to resembling a WR1 on this team. Heck, we don't even have a WR2 on this team. John Brown is the best option, and he'd be considered a pretty bad WR2 on most teams. 

I get where you're coming from but the QB makes the WR, always has and always will. Just look what Allen did with an undrafted rookie FA WR, a 4th round TE in Croom and a bunch of make shift WR. Now he has real veteran WR, John Brown finally got a true shot at WR with Baltimore and was on pace for his best season ever until Flacco was injured and they ran nonstop. Cole Beasley is that annoying as hell slot WR that you can't cover because he gets all the underneath garbage stuff like the Pats do 24-7 to every team, now you have Shady, Gore blocking, Kroft blocking, I'm telling you man if Allen is the guy which I believe he is it's going to be a fun year plus like you said there is also the draft and sure to be a WR in the mix also imo.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I get where you're coming from but the QB makes the WR, always has and always will. Just look what Allen did with an undrafted rookie FA WR, a 4th round TE in Croom and a bunch of make shift WR. Now he has real veteran WR, John Brown finally got a true shot at WR with Baltimore and was on pace for his best season ever until Flacco was injured and they ran nonstop. Cole Beasley is that annoying as hell slot WR that you can't cover because he gets all the underneath garbage stuff like the Pats do 24-7 to every team, now you have Shady, Gore blocking, Kroft blocking, I'm telling you man if Allen is the guy which I believe he is it's going to be a fun year plus like you said there is also the draft and sure to be a WR in the mix also imo.

The OP sounds like he is just upset that Antopnio Brown is not a bill

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Always good to know we can count on this type of post creeping to to piss in the punchbowl

Zay Jones - fighting to even keep his spot on the roster.....but every year with the team has made a leap of improvement

John Brown - speed...speed....speed.....to go with Josh Allen's arm.   Veteran guy.......better then what we had there previously

Cole Beasely - Mr. Third down....one of the BEST slot receivers in the league....do some research stat boy

Robert Foster - one of the best WR's in the league when he was brought back up to the team......a very nice find

Stop looking at the team in terms of who the number 1 receiver in the league is.....the Patriots have won for YEARS without having a legit number 1......you just need guys that compliment the strengths of your QB

Oh....and lost in all of that.....Maybe the OL might be able to make a more balanced offense by actually being able to run block some and allow Josh to sit in the pocket with that rocket arm of his and get the ball to Mr. Third down or down to his speed receivers...of which their are a few.

So......take a lap

Dude is just another clueless poster that doesnt realise #1 WRs dont win you a championship.

3 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Dude is just another clueless poster that doesnt realise #1 WRs dont win you a championship.

Elite talent sets the bar high and opens up the playing field for everyone around them. The Bills team that went to 4 straight superbowls was sprinkled with elite talent.

The notion Buffalo would have been better off without Andre Reed simply isn't true. Or Troy Aikman without Michael Irvin. Montana without Rice.

I'm not saying you can't win a championship without them, but elite talent helps at the WR position in my humble opinion.  

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Figster said:

Elite talent sets the bar high and opens up the playing field for everyone around them. The Bills team that went to 4 straight superbowls was sprinkled with elite talent.

The notion Buffalo would have been better off without Andre Reed simply isn't true. Or Troy Aikman without Michael Irvin. Montana without Rice.

I'm not saying you can't win a championship without them, but elite talent helps at the WR position in my humble opinion.  

Andre Reed was a third round pick

For all we know we have found our new Andre Reed and is already on the roster in Robert Foster

1 minute ago, Dafan said:

Everyone just keeps looking over Duke Williams.  Led the CFL in yards last year and can make some plays.

He is on my list of hopefuls....just dont want to bring him up at this time till we see what does against NFL talent

• Like (+1) 1

How do you feel about the Jets WRs, or Dolphins or Patriots? 

.....because we have a better WR Corp than any of them.   Maybe that’s just a referendum on our division, but I think you need to see what Foster/Brown/Beasley/Zay look like with Allen and an improved line.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Andre Reed was a third round pick

For all we know we have found our new Andre Reed and is already on the roster in Robert Foster

He is on my list of hopefuls....just dont want to bring him up at this time till we see what does against NFL talent

True that, but lets not confuse where or how you obtain elite, or at the very least a WR with # 1 achieved status by way of production in the NFL with not having a legit # 1 on the roster John.

AB was a later round draft choice...