How Much Did The Bills Actually Improve the OL? PFF Rankings 2018 vs. 2019 Comparison

I'm not really too familiar with some of the new lineman that the Bills signed this past week, so I looked up their rankings in PFF.  Here's how the 2018 group compares to the current linemen for 2019.  If the PFF rankings mean anything to you - it appears that the Bills shuffled around the chairs on the deck of the Titanic.  Based on the numbers here, there's a marginal improvement at Right Tackle and Center.  Everyone else appear to be a substitution of average to below average depth players....

New signees like Waddle, Felciano, and Spencer long are ranked just as low 2018 underperforming class of Vlad and Ryan Groy.  Spencer Long was actually worse than Ryan Groy!!!

Many say that these PFF rankings are pure BS...let's hope they are right.

2018 Bills Offensive LIne

image.png.807a70cf38079a69f396a59beec7419b.png

2019 Bills Offensive Line

image.png.1b14bb6a7d99640ed679cc45e044ffdc.png

Edited by BillyWhiteShows
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I'm not really too familiar with some of the new lineman that the Bills signed this past week, so I looked up their rankings in PFF.  Here's how the 2018 group compares to the current linemen for 2019.  If the PFF rankings mean anything to you - it appears that the Bills shuffled around the chairs on the deck of the Titanic.  Based on the numbers here, there's a marginal improvement at Right Tackle and Center.  Everyone else appear to be a substitution of average to below average depth players....

New signees like Waddle, Felciano, and Spencer long are ranked just as low 2018 underperforming class of Vlad and Ryan Groy.  Spencer Long was actually worse than Ryan Groy!!!

We should be able to outscore any team in the league now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

Looks better to me. More above average players. Are you thinking we should have All Pros as every position on the line?

AND I am positive we'll draft some more help on the line and probably sign players as they are cut or become available. We're less than a week into free agency.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Spencer Long was also injured, playing Center.  We have him playing back at Guard. 

Background...

“Spencer Long

At the midseason point, I was very impressed with Spencer Long. After all, he had just come into the starting lineup in Week 3 to strengthen the team’s weakness at center. In our midseason grades, I said the following of Long:

When Spencer Long stepped into the starting lineup for the Washington Redskins, everything changed. The team immediately improved their run blocking, but they especially improved their pass blocking. Opposing teams were no longer able to get a ridiculous amount of pressure on Cousins and that really helped the quarterback.

Since Long has been in the lineup, Cousins has had the time to improve his decision making and accuracy. Long has been rock solid in all aspects of the game, and it really makes you wonder why the team did not put him in the lineup sooner.

Long has also been a versatile player for the Redskins. He has mostly played center, but he has filled in at guard on some snaps, and he has been solid at both positions. Essentially, he is a good quality starting interior lineman who should only improve with more playing time.

All of that rings true to the end of the season. Long has continued to play well, though he was slowed down by a concussion at the close of the season. He has earned the right to be the team’s starting center moving forward, and definitely should be a solid player moving forward.

Long’s Season Grade: B”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/season-grades-for-the-washington-redskins-offensive-line-010817%3famp=true

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Background...

“Spencer Long

At the midseason point, I was very impressed with Spencer Long. After all, he had just come into the starting lineup in Week 3 to strengthen the team’s weakness at center. In our midseason grades, I said the following of Long:

When Spencer Long stepped into the starting lineup for the Washington Redskins, everything changed. The team immediately improved their run blocking, but they especially improved their pass blocking. Opposing teams were no longer able to get a ridiculous amount of pressure on Cousins and that really helped the quarterback.

Since Long has been in the lineup, Cousins has had the time to improve his decision making and accuracy. Long has been rock solid in all aspects of the game, and it really makes you wonder why the team did not put him in the lineup sooner.

Long has also been a versatile player for the Redskins. He has mostly played center, but he has filled in at guard on some snaps, and he has been solid at both positions. Essentially, he is a good quality starting interior lineman who should only improve with more playing time.

All of that rings true to the end of the season. Long has continued to play well, though he was slowed down by a concussion at the close of the season. He has earned the right to be the team’s starting center moving forward, and definitely should be a solid player moving forward.

Long’s Season Grade: B”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/season-grades-for-the-washington-redskins-offensive-line-010817%3famp=true

Ok but that was in 2016 for one year. He went to the Jets and struggled 

3 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

We should be able to outscore any team in the league now.

According to the PFF ranking, we made the 13th ranked center the highest paid center in the NFL.  

I hope Mitch Morse plays up to his contract . . . otherwise McCoach are overpaying guys just as they thought the prior regime had done.

I will wait to see how Morse performs on the field, but it is interesting nonetheless.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I think John Feliciano payed hurt last year but had a grade of 71.1 in 2017

2 hours ago, Peter said:

According to the PFF ranking, we made the 13th ranked center the highest paid center in the NFL.  

I hope Mitch Morse plays up to his contract . . . otherwise McCoach are overpaying guys just as they thought the prior regime had done.

I will wait to see how Morse performs on the field, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Morse hasn't allowed a sack in something like 3 years, iirc. Might just be the reason he got paid by the Bills, who probably lilke the idea of an upright Josh Allen ;)

From the above, I think you'll find that Morse actually rates very highly in pass pro.

• Like (+1) 2