Ed Oliver to visit Buffalo

wppete

1 hour ago, Doc said:

As I said in another thread, only half of the playoff teams last year had a 1,000 yard WR (the Rams had 2).  You don't need that dynamic WR to succeed and their plan was to add another speedster in Brown to pair with Foster to clear-out the underneath for Beasley and the running game.

The Bills still need more offensive weapons.  I’m happy with the guys they’ve added in FA, but we need to add at least one WR and a TE (oh, and RB) in the draft, and I’m not talking day 3. I’d be happy with Campbell, Harry, Metcalf, among others.

2 hours ago, mannc said:

That’s fine.  I just don’t think Oliver is good. You do.  We’ll see.

I’m not going to go as far as you and say he isn’t good, but I don’t think he’s a Beane guy. Not in the least. Beane prefers prototypes, which Oliver is not. He also prefers good character, which Oliver showed the exact opposite of on national tv with his hissy fit about the jacket. I’m not worried about Oliver, really, because I think the Bills are just being diligent by bringing him in for a private workout. 

I would look look more closely at Christian Wilkins, who fits McD and Beane to a t. He’s prototypical, productive, a winner, and has excellent character. Would be a perfect locker room fit and be an immediate fit in this culture. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

The Bills still need more offensive weapons.  I’m happy with the guys they’ve added in FA, but we need to add at least one WR and a TE (oh, and RB) in the draft, and I’m not talking day 3. I’d be happy with Campbell, Harry, Metcalf, among others.

They don't need another WR.  TE and RB, sure, but not on day 1.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

They don't need another WR.  TE and RB, sure, but not on day 1.

Agree, re no TE or RB on day one, unless they trade back.  Disagree re need for another WR.  I think they take one on day 1 or 2.

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

I’m not going to go as far as you and say he isn’t good, but I don’t think he’s a Beane guy. Not in the least. Beane prefers prototypes, which Oliver is not. He also prefers good character, which Oliver showed the exact opposite of on national tv with his hissy fit about the jacket. I’m not worried about Oliver, really, because I think the Bills are just being diligent by bringing him in for a private workout. 

I would look look more closely at Christian Wilkins, who fits McD and Beane to a t. He’s prototypical, productive, a winner, and has excellent character. Would be a perfect locker room fit and be an immediate fit in this culture. 

Here we go lol....

One hissy fit does not equal the exact opposite of good character. Beane has said many many times what his definition of good "football character" means when he says that. It means...a good teammate.check. Doing what the coach/ team asks of you, selflessly. Check. It means being passionate about the game. Check. He's also said that we don't only look for choir boys. It's all of those things, and more, that paint the Broader picture of a man's football character.

That said, I'm not looking for a "safe, low risk, low reward" player at 9. Love Wilkins, but I don't see a game changer in him. I don't see a player who has opportunity to take the league by storm, appear in pro bowls( not that that's really relevant anymore) or make teams specifically game plan for him week in, or week out.

At 9, I'm going projection as much as production. Either way, I'm sure McBeane will get it right

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Here we go lol....

One hissy fit does not equal the exact opposite of good character. Beane has said many many times what his definition of good "football character" means when he says that. It means...a good teammate.check. Doing what the coach/ team asks of you, selflessly. Check. It means being passionate about the game. Check. He's also said that we don't only look for choir boys. It's all of those things, and more, that paint the Broader picture of a man's football character.

That said, I'm not looking for a "safe, low risk, low reward" player at 9. Love Wilkins, but I don't see a game changer in him. I don't see a player who has opportunity to take the league by storm, appear in pro bowls( not that that's really relevant anymore) or make teams specifically game plan for him week in, or week out.

At 9, I'm going projection as much as production. Either way, I'm sure McBeane will get it right

Agreed - Oliver played 0T or NT for Houston and was the only difference maker on that D Line - and had strong numbers.  Playing out of position and eating double and triple teams was his job - he did it and never complained.  At the point of the coat incident, his coach Major Applewhite was hanging by a thread and over-reacted IMHO.   Subsequently fired.

Edited by freddyjj

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

HE WAS WEARING A COAT ON THE SIDELINES, CLEARLY NOT A PROCESS GUY!!!

It was his reaction to a team rule that is the issue here. He thought he was above the rules. You’re right...clearly not a process guy. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

It was his reaction to a team rule that is the issue here. He thought he was above the rules. You’re right...clearly not a process guy. 

If you think the coach was flipping out on him over a jacket, you are a moron.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

HE WAS WEARING A COAT ON THE SIDELINES, CLEARLY NOT A PROCESS GUY!!!

Coat-Gate

I hope when we draft him, they hand him a Bills parka with his name on it instead of a jersey 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

He was unreasonably treated by a coach who was on his last leg and belittled in front of his teammates. He voiced his disagreement and it escalated. It happened. That should not take away from the 2+ years he showed great character while selflessly playing out of position for the perceived betterment of his team.All whilst keeping his head down, staying productive, and being a good teammate. 

"Football Character" is what Beane looks for. Not what you are making it out to be. Which is a silly argument given that our GM has repeatedly stated this 

48 minutes ago, mannc said:

Agree, re no TE or RB on day one, unless they trade back.  Disagree re need for another WR.  I think they take one on day 1 or 2.

There is no room for a 1st round pick WR on the roster.  They just gave Brown and Beasley decent-sized deals, so they're 2 of your top 3 WR's.  Foster is coming off an impressive rookie season and you don't shove him to the side for a wholly unproven rookie.  Furthermore, there isn't a consensus #1 WR that I can see in this draft.

• Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

There is no room for a 1st round pick WR on the roster.  They just gave Brown and Beasley decent-sized deals, so they're 2 of your top 3 WR's.  Foster is coming off an impressive rookie season and you don't shove him to the side for a wholly unproven rookie.  Furthermore, there isn't a consensus #1 WR that I can see in this draft.

Yep - my money is on DL or Edge early.

I do think there are some intriguing depth WR prospects later this draft, they don't have to reach for anyone.

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

Yep - my money is on DL or Edge early.

I do think there are some intriguing depth WR prospects later this draft, they don't have to reach for anyone.

I also see DL and am fine with whoever they take.  I'd favor Oliver because I think he can be an Aaron Donald type of disruptor.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I also see DL and am fine with whoever they take.  I'd favor Oliver because I think he can be an Aaron Donald type of disruptor.

I agree he’s a freak at that position. Avg .42 sacks a game and an astonishing 1.62 tackles a loss per game. Meanwhile, they played him grossly out of position. This guy being able to just play the 3 tech in an aggressive scheme will be amazing 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1