Ed Oliver to visit Buffalo

wppete

2 minutes ago, billspro said:

I don’t think Oliver is the slam dunk that a lot of people think. Wilkins has much less upside but is a safer pick. Will probably be a top 15 DT for the next decade. Oliver has the upside though.

At 9, I'd go with the upside.  That's why I'm a big Metcalf advocate at 9. Go with the upside. 

25 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Shots fired! Shots fired!

HASHTAG SAVAGE SICK BURN

28 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

Well telling by your picture you are willing to get on your knees and do whatever Oliver needs so there is no talking to you ??

You've clearly not red up on Ed Oliver or watched a single second of his games or even checked out his highlights if you think he doesn't have a high motor. His motor only runs hot. He makes effort plays down the filed numerous times a game. He has things he needs to correct but effort is his best quality.

Biggest takeaway: I think every defensive-line coach in the country should make a cut-up tape highlighting the effort from Oliver. He never quits on a play. Ever. It is a great lesson for every player at the position. He chases plays 30-40 yards down the field, and then he lines up and goes 100 mph on the very next play. It's a great indicator of the work he puts in during the offseason, as well as the personal drive he possesses. I was told by one of his former teammates that the coaching staff at Houston hands out an effort award after studying the game tape, and Oliver wins that award almost every week.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000936825/article/scouting-ed-oliver-houston-dt-has-aaron-donaldlike-promise

Edited by FeelingOnYouboty
  • Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Picking in the Top 10 we should be going for an All Pro talent. I love Christian Wilkins and I will go to bat for him but he's never going to be that. Ed Oliver has the potential to be a DPOY.

I don't understand this narrative.

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:00 PM, YoloinOhio said:

I would just say to watch him play. It’s the only way to really put context around any stats you might see. He’s triple teamed at times. Even he said in his combine interview he’s used to having 6 hands on him. He’s a 5 star recruit who went to Houston. He may not have gone against as many top schools but his talent is top notch and he was the main guy opponents game planned against. 

wow.  totally fakes out the center, and the other OL are too slow coming over to help. 

I'd take him at 9.  

1 hour ago, NewEraBills said:

At 9, I'd go with the upside.  That's why I'm a big Metcalf advocate at 9. Go with the upside. 

I'm not sure Metcalf has much upside as a one trick pony, who failed to dominate the way his NFL comp. Megatron did in College.   Metcalf was AWFUL in some combine drills, particularly the cone.  Like, so bad, it makes you wonder if he even prepared. 

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Yeah, I totally understand it.  All the same, when you sit out a middle tier bowl game, you really do walk out on the rest of your team.  Thats what makes it so different from a pro bowl game.  Like, what happens when they get to the NFL and he develops a nagging injury?  Is he going to fight through it? Or is he going to sit out so he doesn't hurt his stats? 

I'm not sure sitting out a mid-tier bowl game is walking out on your team.  IF a player skipped the college football playoffs, that is quitting on your team.  Or even a New Years 6 game.  But sitting out a bowl game to protect yourself makes sense.  I wouldn't do it, I'd get insurance.  But sitting out also gives another player (your backup) who worked hard all year the ability to play in a big game. 

You have no idea how happy this would make me. I'd immediately go out and buy a red jersey with his name on it. Not necessarily because he'd be my favorite player. But because I have season tickets to UH. So I could wear that on Saturday night, and if I get too drunk and sleep it off in my car, the Bills bar is five minutes away, and I'm already dressed for that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I'm not sure sitting out a mid-tier bowl game is walking out on your team.  IF a player skipped the college football playoffs, that is quitting on your team.  Or even a New Years 6 game.  But sitting out a bowl game to protect yourself makes sense.  I wouldn't do it, I'd get insurance.  But sitting out also gives another player (your backup) who worked hard all year the ability to play in a big game. 

Maybe.  In the end, only someone who has been there would know.  

But my thought process is this: WVU is an excellent CFB program.  This year they got taken to task by SU because their best starters didn't play.  It was embarrassing for them. If I was on that team, I would be pissed at the guys who didn't play.  And I wouldn't be less embarrassed because I understood why they didn't play. 

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Maybe.  In the end, only someone who has been there would know.  

But my thought process is this: WVU is an excellent CFB program.  This year they got taken to task by SU because their best starters didn't play.  It was embarrassing for them. If I was on that team, I would be pissed at the guys who didn't play.  And I wouldn't be less embarrassed because I understood why they didn't play. 

I see your point.  Also, Cuse is a good team!  

6 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

wow.  totally fakes out the center, and the other OL are too slow coming over to help. 

I'd take him at 9.  

I'm not sure Metcalf has much upside as a one trick pony, who failed to dominate the way his NFL comp. Megatron did in College.   Metcalf was AWFUL in some combine drills, particularly the cone.  Like, so bad, it makes you wonder if he even prepared. 

This is where we differ.  I don't see Metcalf as a one trick pony.  I'm not even sure what you mean by it?  I know about Metcalf's cone drill, I honestly don't even care about it.   Megatron is mentioned in your analysis and at least Metcalf ran the 3 cone.  Megatron NEVER did and he dominated the position.  He never ran the 20 yd shuttle either.  My bet is Calvin Johnson didn't run the 3 cone or the 20 yd shuttle because based on his build, he probably would have been horrible at it.  Secondly, Calvin Johnson did not run the entire route tree.  His most dominating routes were Go's, slants, posts.  Nobody was asking him to run snags, zigs, Poco, Copo, comebacks.  Why would they?  That's stupid (LOL in Robert Kelly voice YUK).  "That's stupid guys.  Use your common sense" LOL Anyway back to the post.  He doesn't excel at that.  Ask your player to do what he excels at and scheme around that.  

If I'm drafting Metcalf, that's exactly what I'm asking him to do.  Go's, slants, posts, curls - He ran all of these at Ole Miss and was highly effective running these routes.  He also had success on screens.  I'm not asking him to run the entire route tree, I'm trying to accentuate his strengths.  Let him master those routes.  But his intangibles are 1) he wins at the line of scrimmage; 2) he uses his frame on slants to box out defenders; 3) he can get over the top of the safety on post routes; 4)  He can win 50/50 balls.  To me he has plenty of upside and plenty to build an offense around.  To me the decision to draft him or not is based on do I want a guy at the WR position that I can build my passing game around or do I just want a bunch of complimentary pieces?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Picking in the Top 10 we should be going for an All Pro talent. I love Christian Wilkins and I will go to bat for him but he's never going to be that. Ed Oliver has the potential to be a DPOY.

This is (IMHO) a fallacy. Go back even 20 years and assess how many All Pros were picked at 9.  Then also look at how many 9th picks have truly not panned out, then look at the remaining picks that had good, not great, careers.  I think that you’ll find that the bust equal or exceed the stars.  Key is to find high floor guys that can be good starters and hope a few of them turn out to be great.  Avoid the high ceiling, low floor guys like plague.  

18 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

This is where we differ.  I don't see Metcalf as a one trick pony.  I'm not even sure what you mean by it?  I know about Metcalf's cone drill, I honestly don't even care about it.   Megatron is mentioned in your analysis and at least Metcalf ran the 3 cone.  Megatron NEVER did and he dominated the position.  He never ran the 20 yd shuttle either.  My bet is Calvin Johnson didn't run the 3 cone or the 20 yd shuttle because based on his build, he probably would have been horrible at it.  Secondly, Calvin Johnson did not run the entire route tree.  His most dominating routes were Go's, slants, posts.  Nobody was asking him to run snags, zigs, Poco, Copo, comebacks.  Why would they?  That's stupid (LOL in Robert Kelly voice YUK).  "That's stupid guys.  Use your common sense" LOL Anyway back to the post.  He doesn't excel at that.  Ask your player to do what he excels at and scheme around that.  

If I'm drafting Metcalf, that's exactly what I'm asking him to do.  Go's, slants, posts, curls - He ran all of these at Ole Miss and was highly effective running these routes.  He also had success on screens.  I'm not asking him to run the entire route tree, I'm trying to accentuate his strengths.  Let him master those routes.  But his intangibles are 1) he wins at the line of scrimmage; 2) he uses his frame on slants to box out defenders; 3) he can get over the top of the safety on post routes; 4)  He can win 50/50 balls.  To me he has plenty of upside and plenty to build an offense around.  To me the decision to draft him or not is based on do I want a guy at the WR position that I can build my passing game around or do I just want a bunch of complimentary pieces?

For sure, Metcalf is really an athletic freak - a term that I think is very over-used.  If the coaches whom he played against can explain his lack of production compared to his teammates by saying that their objective was to stop him first, then great - otherwise a big red flag.  That doesn’t mean that Metcalf is a hard pass for me, but I think he is a high ceiling low floor prospect.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I am doubting that Oliver slides to 9, but if he is there we must select him IMO

If 2 QB’s go in there somewhere, that’s only 6 guys ahead of him. We should get a great player or an extra pick. I’d love to see Oliver in a Bills uniform. 

What I enjoy is the, so-and-so will be the safer, better long term pro.

Outside of the shoulder, Shaq Lawson was considered a low ceiling but high floor, safe spec. So far, hes kind of lived up to that. A very very sound run defender with limited pass rush, a low ceiling but high floor.

So, excuse me if I cant see busting the door down for "safe" at ninth overall. In a class where there is enough depth to be a little bit risky.