Ed Oliver to visit Buffalo

wppete

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The growing number of players that sit out bowl games is just the growing number of players I have zero interest in for the draft.  

...they're just practicing for the Pro Bowl if it is in their future.....

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The growing number of players that sit out bowl games is just the growing number of players I have zero interest in for the draft.  

I get that. But I liken it to the pro bowl in the sense that nobody is gonna take unwarranted injury risks prior to the Super Bowl. Same line of thinking in meaningless bowl games I guess. Unless they are playing for the National Championship, a lot of top tier guys are already looking at their pro careers. Its really something that is unfortunate, but I think I can understand it

Edited by BuffAlone

Ed Oliver or Wilkins are who I'm hoping we draft.  Oliver offers more explosive upside while Wilkins has shown he can be a pretty good playmaker who can get to the QB himself.   Sweat is intriguing but I believe Oliver and Wilkins are the better prospects.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I get that. But I liken it to the pro bowl in the sense that nobody is gonna take unwarranted injury risks prior to the Super Bowl. Same line of thinking in meaningless bowl games I guess. Unless they are playing for the National Championship, a lot of top tier guys are already looking at their pro careers. Its really something that is unfortunate, but I think I can understand it

Yeah, I totally understand it.  All the same, when you sit out a middle tier bowl game, you really do walk out on the rest of your team.  Thats what makes it so different from a pro bowl game.  Like, what happens when they get to the NFL and he develops a nagging injury?  Is he going to fight through it? Or is he going to sit out so he doesn't hurt his stats? 

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I think his coach was being a total dick and purposely pushed Oliver's buttons that day.  Was Oliver right for reacting the way he did?  Not at all.  But it's not like it was unprovoked.  That coach had a goal in mind and he reached it.

He wanted to get fired?

• Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Magox said:

Ed Oliver or Wilkins are who I'm hoping we draft.  Oliver offers more explosive upside while Wilkins has shown he can be a pretty good playmaker who can get to the QB himself.   Sweat is intriguing but I believe Oliver and Wilkins are the better prospects.

I think Jerry Tillery, who can be had a little later has more upside than Oliver.  With Tillery is about length.  They both can push the pocket, but Tillery's frame offers a lot more.  We'll see what happens, but I've read several reports that a lot of teams really like Tillery.

7 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I think Jerry Tillery, who can be had a little later has more upside than Oliver.  With Tillery is about length.  They both can push the pocket, but Tillery's frame offers a lot more.  We'll see what happens, but I've read several reports that a lot of teams really like Tillery.

Tillery just has surgery to repair a torn labrum fwiw. Also some off field concerns could drop him. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

One of the things that bothers me about Oliver is his arm length. 

I've dug around & can't find any DT in the last 6 years with arms < 32" that has made much of an impact.

Tillery at 34 1/4 vs Oliver at 31 3/4.  With a lot of the Guards at 34 ... those 2 1/2" can make a difference.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

Players go out to warm ups only to be inactive in the game all the time. Like, literally every single game ever played. Players nowadays also regularly sit out bowl games, etc. to protect themselves for the draft. Its quite common. Not sure its much more than that. A knee injury, draft upcoming....just a precaution probably. Im sure any GM will get the inside scoop prior to drafting him

I assume that Applewhite trying to embarrass Oliver on national TV by making him remove the jacket is related to Oliver running and jumping around prior to the game and then not playing.  And if he's trying to protect himself for the draft, he might no be the player the Bills want on their team. 

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I assume that Applewhite trying to embarrass Oliver on national TV by making him remove the jacket is related to Oliver running and jumping around prior to the game and then not playing.  And if he's trying to protect himself for the draft, he might no be the player the Bills want on their team. 

Very well could be the case. But like I said, I'm sure whatever GM drafts him will get the inside scoop on what really led to that jacket incident

15 hours ago, Mark92 said:

No because Houston used him all over the line instead of just putting him in the 3 tech where his numbers are crazy.  If the Bills draft him it's so he will become the 3 tech they need.  

Unfortunately unless the Jets trade down they are going to get a STUD on their D Line.  Bosa, Williams or Allen.  Boo.  

Well the problem with Oliver at Houston they only had a 3 man rush a lot of times. so Oliver was basically playing a nose tackle which yes isn’t his position. But I just don’t like him but he could end up being great. For some reason he just seems to me as someone who doesn’t have a high motor nor a great work ethic. And he has a lot of technical issues to fix so if he does have a horrible work ethic those aren’t going to be fixed

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Tillery just has surgery to repair a torn labrum fwiw. Also some off field concerns could drop him. 

True. I've seen his name being mentioned as being scouted a few times by the Bills. Could be if they are willing to consider him at 40, they'd also be inclined to consider Oliver

12 minutes ago, hemma said:

One of the things that bothers me about Oliver is his arm length. 

I've dug around & can't find any DT in the last 6 years with arms < 32" that has made much of an impact.

Tillery at 34 1/4 vs Oliver at 31 3/4.  With a lot of the Guards at 34 ... those 2 1/2" can make a difference.

I don’t think Oliver is the slam dunk that a lot of people think. Wilkins has much less upside but is a safer pick. Will probably be a top 15 DT for the next decade. Oliver has the upside though.

2 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

True. I've seen his name being mentioned as being scouted a few times by the Bills. Could be if they are willing to consider him at 40, they'd also be inclined to consider Oliver

Astro believes he’s a Bills target because of how many times they scouted ND live. He could be. But he could drop.

2 minutes ago, billspro said:

I don’t think Oliver is the slam dunk that a lot of people think. Wilkins has much less upside but is a safer pick. Will probably be a top 15 DT for the next decade. Oliver has the upside though.

Are we looking for upside or safe at #9? Thats the million dollar question..

8 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

Well the problem with Oliver at Houston they only had a 3 man rush a lot of times. so Oliver was basically playing a nose tackle which yes isn’t his position. But I just don’t like him but he could end up being great. For some reason he just seems to me as someone who doesn’t have a high motor nor a great work ethic. And he has a lot of technical issues to fix so if he does have a horrible work ethic those aren’t going to be fixed

Ed Oliver doesn't have a high motor? I've seen it all man LOL!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Astro believes he’s a Bills target because of how many times they scouted ND live. He could be. But he could drop.

I think they were scouting quite a few players at ND this year. Some good players will come out of there. Maybe not 1st rounders, but very solid

1 minute ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Ed Oliver doesn't have a high motor? I've seen it all man LOL!

Well telling by your picture you are willing to get on your knees and do whatever Oliver needs so there is no talking to you ??