Ed Oliver to visit Buffalo

wppete

Just now, whorlnut said:

Never said he was always injured. He had knee issues and then sat out a game but was on the field running around before that game. Yes, I think there is something to be said that he was faking the severity of his injury. 

Umm...you DID say he was always injured. And how many players go out pre-game to test an injury, only to be a no go? Happens EVERY SINGLE GAME.  Don't make that out to be something its not

36 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

For those of you pining over Oliver, I think you are getting your hopes up for nothing. You can’t ignore Beane and McDermitt’s affinity for clean prospects that fit the culture that they are trying to build. Oliver doesn’t fit that in the least. It’s been well documented that he’s a high maintenance player and there are questions about whether he was faking a knee injury late in the season. Not to mention the hissy fit he threw over the jacket. That stuff can’t be ignored and I’m sure it will all be brought up during his visit. 

How can you be so certain in the face of the fact that the FO used one of a limited number of visits to meet with Oliver? That makes no sense. Have you met the man? The guys trusted with the decision used a valuable meeting to meet with him. How can you know if they don’t? 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Umm...you DID say he was always injured. And how many players go out pre-game to test an injury, only to be a no go? Happens EVERY SINGLE GAME.  Don't make that out to be something its not

I never said he was always injured. I said his knee issue could be a red flag. 

Im done arguing with you over this. It’s ridiculous to me that this much effort has been spent arguing over a guy that I feel has no chance of being a Bill. You do though. We each have an opinion. Leave it at that. 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

How can you be so certain in the face of the fact that the FO used one of a limited number of visits to meet with Oliver? That makes no sense. Have you met the man? The guys trusted with the decision used a valuable meeting to meet with him. How can you know if they don’t? 

They get 30 visits. They have met with a ton of guys at the Senior Bowl and combine and now they are meeting with others as well. It’s called due diligence. Just because you are visiting doesn’t mean you are high on a team’s radar. 

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Im done arguing with you over this. It’s ridiculous to me that this much effort has been spent arguing over a guy that I feel has no chance of being a Bill. You do though. We each have an opinion. Leave it at that. 

They get 30 visits. They have met with a ton of guys at the Senior Bowl and combine and now they are meeting with others as well. It’s called due diligence. Just because you are visiting doesn’t mean you are high on a team’s radar. 

Yes, it generally means exactly that. They don’t waste those meetings lightly. He was previously thought of as a top 3 pick. He’s extremely talented and performed at a very high level. 

I have my own reservations, but they know far more than we do, and I trust them to get it right. Time will tell. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yes, it generally means exactly that. They don’t waste those meetings lightly. He was previously thought of as a top 3 pick. He’s extremely talented and performed at a very high level. 

I have my own reservations, but they know far more than we do, and I trust them to get it right. Time will tell. 

Due diligence. You get 30 visits. We have 10 picks.  You’re right though...time will tell. 

Edited by whorlnut

4 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Due diligence. You get 30 visits. We have 10 picks.  You’re right though...time will tell. 

I just don’t know how you were so certain to have made up your mind before the FO could know what they think. They are serious, or they wouldn’t bring him in. I’m not saying he’s the guy (IF he’s even there), but there is no way to know at this point. 

11 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

You are Kinda right. You didn't say he was always injured. But you didn't say his knee issues could be a red flag either. 

What you said was "his measurable were a disappointment. He has a history of injuries, and he may not be coachable". 

Of course, that was in the top 9 in the draft thread. I'm not trying to argue. I've read your link, and responded with 6 that say opposite your narrative. That said, your opinion seems to be the minority and I fear you haven't done adequate inquiries into other media outlets that offer a different narrative. And I think its clouding your judgement of a very good player that McBeane is obviously interested In. If that one incident screams non process ad you claim, they wouldn't be wasting a pre draft visit on him. JMO

We will agree to disagree

8 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

You are Kinda right. You didn't say he was always injured. But you didn't say his knee issues could be a red flag either. 

What you said was "his measurable were a disappointment. He has a history of injuries, and he may not be coachable". 

Of course, that was in the top 9 in the draft thread. I'm not trying to argue. I've read your link, and responded with 6 that say opposite your narrative. That said, your opinion seems to be the minority and I fear you haven't done adequate inquiries into other media outlets that offer a different narrative. And I think its clouding your judgement of a very good player that McBeane is obviously interested In. If that one incident screams non process ad you claim, they wouldn't be wasting a pre draft visit on him. JMO

We will agree to disagree

Yes. He has a history of injuries. Even if it might not be a long list, there is still history there with the nagging knee injuries. Yeah I don’t think he’s a McDermott guy at all. At this point they have talked to most of the guys they might be interested in and are using these visits up. Kinda like a recruit that is allowed 5 official visits and uses them all up to see different campuses even though they already know where they wanna go. I’m not saying there is no way Oliver won’t be the pick, but I would be very surprised if he was. 

Edited by whorlnut

3 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Yes. He has a history of injuries. Even if it might not be a long list, there is still history there with the nagging knee injuries. Yeah I don’t think he’s a McDermott guy at all. At this point they have talked to most of the guys they might be interested in and are using these visits up. Kinda like a recruit that is allowed 5 official visits and uses them all up to see different campuses even though they already know where they wanna go. I’m not saying there is no way Oliver won’t be the pick, but I would be very surprised if he was. 

So, he wasn't faking it then? Gotcha. Namastè Sir...we all do?

2 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

So, he wasn't faking it then? Gotcha. Namastè Sir...we all do?

There are still questions that he was faking the severity of it. He did hurt it, no doubt, but people have questioned whether or not he was ok to play. 

In Fa Buffalo was wise and went for role players and 1 premier player.  Morse is the highest paid lineman on the roster and by far the best.  Sitting inside the top 10 I'm sure Beane sees that as a chance to add a premier talent.  I dont see them going "safe".  

I think Beane spent the past 1.5 years building a team culture with "process" character players. We're now at the point where not every player has to be squeaky clean and can still fit into our team culture. Oliver would be fine, I hope he's the pick.

On 3/16/2019 at 5:32 PM, GimmeSomeProcess said:

Love me some Oliver, won’t be surprised moving up a few spots for him. 

Does Oliver’s lack of sack totals concern anyone? I have not watched tape on him but I would like to see more production from a pass rushing DT in a weaker conference. 

51 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Oliver or bust for me. 

The guy is special. 

Character is not that much of a red flag to me. I see a small town guy with big time talent whod fit right in and make this a top 5 defense. 

I would be happy with Oliver, but I think he is far from a sure thing. His sack production is a concern for me.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/16/2019 at 8:26 PM, wppete said:

I like this guy. He has a good story and seems like a McDermott Process guy.

Ed Oliver from Louisiana replaces Kyle Williams from Louisiana.

so what process was that when he tried to fight his coach on the sideline ??

On 3/16/2019 at 10:14 PM, Virgil said:

How concerned are you about the incident with his coach?

I think his coach was being a total dick and purposely pushed Oliver's buttons that day.  Was Oliver right for reacting the way he did?  Not at all.  But it's not like it was unprovoked.  That coach had a goal in mind and he reached it.

• Like (+1) 2

I'd be more asking about but why he was running and jumping around the field pre-game like nothing was wrong with him but didn't suit up.  I don't think he was trying to assault Applewhite.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'd be more asking about but why he was running and jumping around the field pre-game like nothing was wrong with him but didn't suit up.  I don't think he was trying to assault Applewhite.

Players go out to warm ups only to be inactive in the game all the time. Like, literally every single game ever played. Players nowadays also regularly sit out bowl games, etc. to protect themselves for the draft. Its quite common. Not sure its much more than that. A knee injury, draft upcoming....just a precaution probably. Im sure any GM will get the inside scoop prior to drafting him

14 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Players go out to warm ups only to be inactive in the game all the time. Like, literally every single game ever played. Players nowadays also regularly sit out bowl games, etc. to protect themselves for the draft. Its quite common. Not sure its much more than that. A knee injury, draft upcoming....just a precaution probably. Im sure any GM will get the inside scoop prior to drafting him

The growing number of players that sit out bowl games is just the growing number of players I have zero interest in for the draft.