Ed Oliver to visit Buffalo

wppete

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Yeah, like no attention was given to the offense in free agency and there aren't draft picks after #9? ?

Bare minimum attention was paid to offense. We got vet journeymen, no players with untapped potential or the ability to carry the team on their back. If you want to win you need those players and we have 0 of them.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Huh?  Did you miss all the FA additions on offense?

As for the first pick, I have faith in the coaching staff to find the best defensive player, be it Oliver or someone else.

Who did we pick up in FA that you think is going to help us score?

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Bare minimum attention was paid to offense. We got vet journeymen, no players with untapped potential or the ability to carry the team on their back. If you want to win you need those players and we have 0 of them.

Beasly, Brown. Both will have td's this year. Mitch Morse should also help Shady, Gore, and Allen get into the end zone as well

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

....YAWN.....your respected opinion...BUT...still YAWN......$36+ mil yet to spend and 10 picks in the draft.....

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You have a different definition of "bare minimum" than the rest of the world. We signed 9 offensive free agents. 

Where are these "carry the team on their back" guys in FA?

12 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Other than the Pittsburg RB and WR.................who did you want Beane to get?

I have no issue taking Oliver, and he is certainly an option at 9.  However, I still think unless we sign or trade for an EDGE rusher that our pick at 9 wont be a DT and will instead be an EDGE guy.  I also wont rule out someone to help Josh like TE, WR, OT.  

I do still think Beane is going to try hard to trade down and pick up an extra 2nd.  If they do, they can grab a weapon for Josh on the trade down like Hock or Fant, then target someone like Simmons still with their first 2nd rounder or maybe even trade up to grab him too late first or earlier in the 2nd.  Still would have another 2nd too where he could grab a WR (or TE if we went WR with one of first picks already) or maybe even another T or G.  

It's easy to see who has watched the tape in this thread, and who has just looked at the stats.

Watch the games, and there is really no question.  Dudes a stud.  For all the talk about his weight, I don't think I've ever seen him get pushed back.  So powerful and quick.  All with a relentless motor that never stops.

We should be so lucky for Oliver to be sitting there at nine.  Tremendous player that slides right in at a position of need.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Other than the Pittsburg RB and WR.................who did you want Beane to get?

Well those two would have been high on my list. The WR FA market was extremely weak and I knew that months ago, but once the top 2 receivers were available on the market for pennies on the dollar, I expected our GM to make a more concerted push for one of them. Instead they both play for rivals.

I also expected an upgrade at RB. I wanted them to cut McCoy and go after some combination of Coleman, Ingram, Hyde, or even Ajayi. Bringing in a player like Gore is the exact opposite of what I thought they should do, but is also something so Billsy it had to be expected. As for TE, we got the worse Tyler, and paid him like he was the right one. I don't hate the signing in general but the money they paid to get him is borderline ridiculous.

In general, I don't hate any one of the players the brought in as much as I hate the story they're telling with the culmination of them and the money the spent to get these guys. Every one of them is a filler niche player. We lost guys like Watkins, Woods, Darby, Dareus, Gilmore, etc. so that we could have $80 million dollars in the bank and build a brand new team.

We had the kind of money to go full madden mode if we wanted to. We literally could have got Beckham, Brown, Bell, Morse, and still had roughly the same amount of money left over to go sign depth players. Cutting dead weight like McCoy and Murphy would have paid for Bell, John Brown + Cole Beasley nets you AB's contract. You could have used the draft to fill out line depth, get more LBs and TE's.

Did they spend it in a way that makes you think they'll be beating teams like New England, Kansas City, Philly, LA, LA, New Orleans, Indy? No, they spent it on small, old players with injury histories.

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Well those two would have been high on my list. The WR FA market was extremely weak and I knew that months ago, but once the top 2 receivers were available on the market for pennies on the dollar, I expected our GM to make a more concerted push for one of them. Instead they both play for rivals.

I also expected an upgrade at RB. I wanted them to cut McCoy and go after some combination of Coleman, Ingram, Hyde, or even Ajayi. Bringing in a player like Gore is the exact opposite of what I thought they should do, but is also something so Billsy it had to be expected. As for TE, we got the worse Tyler, and paid him like he was the right one. I don't hate the signing in general but the money they paid to get him is borderline ridiculous.

In general, I don't hate any one of the players the brought in as much as I hate the story they're telling with the culmination of them and the money the spent to get these guys. Every one of them is a filler niche player. We lost guys like Watkins, Woods, Darby, Dareus, Gilmore, etc. so that we could have $80 million dollars in the bank and build a brand new team.

We had the kind of money to go full madden mode if we wanted to. We literally could have got Beckham, Brown, Bell, Morse, and still had roughly the same amount of money left over to go sign depth players. Cutting dead weight like McCoy and Murphy would have paid for Bell, John Brown + Cole Beasley nets you AB's contract. You could have used the draft to fill out line depth, get more LBs and TE's.

Did they spend it in a way that makes you think they'll be beating teams like New England, Kansas City, Philly, LA, LA, New Orleans, Indy? No, they spent it on small, old players with injury histories.

Bell brown and obj would cost over 50 mil a year on top of trading our entire draft to get them

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

We didn't cut those contracts/players to rebuild our team. We cut them to rebuild the organization.  We are doing well to that point. No sense in getting all that cap space just to turn around and spend it on similar contracts. In two or three years, we will need that cash to re-sign our own drafted players. We are going to be in good shape for that

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Pbomb said:

Bell brown and obj would cost over 50 mil a year on top of trading our entire draft to get them

In the Scenario I outlined we would have had 95 million to spend, so ok - I'm fine with that. You still have $40 million to put you right in line with teams that actually have star players. Go get whoever else you need with the $25 million and save $15 for draft picks.

As for the draft, it would have cost us a first round pick for OBJ. Are you expecting to get a better player than OBJ at #9? If you are, I'd llike to know why he's not going #1. AB was traded for a 3rd and a 5th. You wouldn't trade a Backup DT (Phillips) and a backup safety (Neal) for one of the two best WR's in football?

Just now, BuffAlone said:

We didn't cut those contracts/players to rebuild our team. We cut them to rebuild the organization.  We are doing well to that point. No sense in getting all that cap space just to turn around and spend it on similar contracts. In two or three years, we will need that cash to re-sign our own drafted players. We are going to be in good shape for that

Who are you re-signing in 2-3 years? White? Who else? Poyer and Hyde should be gone, Hughes will be gone, McCoy will be gone. What Kind of deal has Dawkins earned? Milano?

The contracts for the players mentioned would be up at the same time Allen needs a new deal and hopefully by then you have a strong pipeline of young talent ready to take their place.

11 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Gore is not in any long term plans.......even Beane admitted he has a man crush on him for his entire career.  2 million with a 500k guarantee is nothing.

I thought this entire off season that a young RB will be drafted (I'm guessing in the 3rd).

Tyler Kroft is a moderately overpaid 2 year placeholder at worse.  Beane had to sign a TE and I'm guessing Ty wasn't the only one being looked at.

I also see a TE in the draft.

Taking out the 2 Pittsburg guys (which were not FA's) you got Beckham left.  Personally I'm not a fan of his character but he is a great player.

I really do believe that the "stars" will be drafted and not picked up in FA as Beane has said.

That said I am still hoping for 1 "splashy" player to be signed or traded for.

13 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

In the Scenario I outlined we would have had 95 million to spend, so ok - I'm fine with that. You still have $40 million to put you right in line with teams that actually have star players. Go get whoever else you need with the $25 million and save $15 for draft picks.

As for the draft, it would have cost us a first round pick for OBJ. Are you expecting to get a better player than OBJ at #9? If you are, I'd llike to know why he's not going #1. AB was traded for a 3rd and a 5th. You wouldn't trade a Backup DT (Phillips) and a backup safety (Neal) for one of the two best WR's in football?

Who are you re-signing in 2-3 years? White? Who else? Poyer and Hyde should be gone, Hughes will be gone, McCoy will be gone. What Kind of deal has Dawkins earned? Milano?

The contracts for the players mentioned would be up at the same time Allen needs a new deal and hopefully by then you have a strong pipeline of young talent ready to take their place.

In 3 years both Allen and Edmunds could be re-signed. Milano will need done. Dawkins. Regardless of your opinions of those guys, they have 2 more years to earn contract extensions. And who knows what their worth will be at that point. I'd rather have enough $ to sign them all than not have enough

This league has become extremely offense oriented. Last year, of the nine top touchdown leaders in the league onely one (Pittsburgh) did not make the playoffs. Everyone that appeared in the conference championship was in the top 7, and everyone besides New England was in the top 3. That should tell us all something. The minimum bar to get Top 9 is 50 Touchdowns. The Bills were tied for 3rd worst in the league with 29. That means they have to make up an extra 21 Touchdowns to be in the ballpark of wanting to seriously compete.

If you say Brown gets 6, Beasley gets 5, McCoy gets 5, Gore gets 3, Foster gets 3, Kroft gets 3 - which are all completely in line with recent production - where are you picking up another 25 TDS?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=TOUCHDOWNS&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2018&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

This league has become extremely offense oriented. Last year, of the nine top touchdown leaders in the league onely one (Pittsburgh) did not make the playoffs. Everyone that appeared in the conference championship was in the top 7, and everyone besides New England was in the top 3. That should tell us all something. The minimum bar to get Top 9 is 50 Touchdowns. The Bills were tied for 3rd worst in the league with 29. That means they have to make up an extra 21 Touchdowns to be in the ballpark of wanting to seriously compete.

If you say Brown gets 6, Beasley gets 5, McCoy gets 5, Gore gets 3, Foster gets 3, Kroft gets 3 - which are all completely in line with recent production - where are you picking up another 25 TDS?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=TOUCHDOWNS&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2018&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

Makes sense...most of the teams that scored the most points make the playoffs. That was overlooked apparently lol. Maybe we didn't sign every top FA, but we improved our roster. It filled needs. The draft is going to be the biggest part of improvement in the coming years

23 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Oh and by the way this isn’t madden. There are 31 other teams also trying to get these players