Ed Oliver to visit Buffalo

wppete

12 hours ago, wppete said:

I like this guy. He has a good story and seems like a McDermott Process guy.

Ed Oliver from Louisiana replaces Kyle Williams from Louisiana.

I guess having to be physically restrained because your went after your coach during a game makes you a "process guy"

(Oliver and applewhite were both wrong over the stupid jacket incident, but that kind of reaction from Oliver was way overboard)

10 hours ago, Mark92 said:

He's 21 and felt disrespected.  

And had to be physically restrained from beating up his coach mid game

10 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

His coach should of been kicked in the d*** and kneecapped, so there's that too.....

Coach was wrong, 100%, but so was Oliver for going at him physically

10 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

The man argued over a sideline jacket in his last game playing at Houston like a petulant child.

I must remind those of you that gush over his talent of this man, who was a beast in college but was ALSO immature. Be warned.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/marcell-dareus?id=2495478

Agreed.

He's another dareus/suh

Edited by SouthNYfan

I think he will make some splash, but get rolled over and put in Edmunds lap just as often.

Need a bigger guy with longer arms & reach that can hold up against the run.

I don’t think we take him at 9 ... maybe if we trade down.

He’s no Donald.  Closer to Paea.

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

The man argued over a sideline jacket in his last game playing at Houston like a petulant child.

I must remind those of you that gush over his talent of this man, who was a beast in college but was ALSO immature. Be warned.

Can also say his say the same thing about his coach that handled the situation very very poorly. Who has had questionable decision making in his past. 

22 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I guess having to be physically restrained because your went after your coach during a game makes you a "process guy"

(Oliver and applewhite were both wrong over the stupid jacket incident, but that kind of reaction from Oliver was way overboard)

Agreed.

He's shitter dareus/suh

Jordan phillips got in fight with his coach, we bring him in a few days later and he was a priority to re-sign this offseason. 

Its funny how quickly people forget things 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

28 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Can also say his say the same thing about his coach that handled the situation very very poorly. Who has had questionable decision making in his past. 

Jordan phillips got in fight with his coach, we bring him in a few days later and he was a priority to re-sign this offseason. 

Its funny how quickly people forget things 

Ed Oliver physically went after his coach in college, and risk in taking a potential problem player @#9 of a lot different than taking a flyer on a guy in FA on a short, no risk deal.

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I hope I can get on the pants creaming train that you all are on about this guy. 

He’s not even the best ranked at his position. Didn’t he fall off a bit this season?  Wasn’t he a debatable #1 overall going into last season?

2 hours ago, Mark92 said:

The University of Houston didn't use him in the 3 technique much this year.  They tried moving him around a bit.  His numbers dropped for sure.  But my goodness.  Put the man child back at 3 technique and sit back and watch the disruption. He lives in opponents backfields.  His size is a little smaller then scouts like and that's why Williams jumped him in rankings.  This is an absolutely loaded D line draft and that's why he would be available at #9.  Normal years he is a top 5.  My man crush has been strong since September with Oliver.  I also love Q. Williams but he will be long gone by #9.  

This is correct, he was not put in position to just shoot the gap like in previous seasons plus dealt with some injuries. I’ll leave this video of PFF explaining it and how effective he was when he was one on one as a 3 technique:

spoiler alert: he was number 3 in pass rushing grade behind Q. Williams and Arman Watts (who had a small sample size) for this class.

6 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Agreed.

He's shitter dareus/suh

Watch the video. He stays far enough away to not be a physical threat but close enough to give him a piece of his mind. If he was going to beat up his coach he would have. The teamates are telling him to stop yelling at the coach and pushing him away making it look worse . You are over exaggerating what happened. Worst case you have a shouting match and even that is a stretch.  

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PIZ said:

Oliver on this D would be awesome.  I never thought we'd have a shot at him.  Getting him at 9 without having to trade up for him would propel this D.  Back in Aaron Donald's draft, I can remember fans on TBD wanting him as well.  That didn't happen, but I hope those that want Oliver get their wish.

Aaron Donald was fifty times as productive as this guy, against better competition as well.  No comparison.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would just say to watch him play. It’s the only way to really put context around any stats you might see. He’s triple teamed at times. Even he said in his combine interview he’s used to having 6 hands on him. He’s a 5 star recruit who went to Houston. He may not have gone against as many top schools but his talent is top notch and he was the main guy opponents game planned against. 

...any concern with his sideline hissy fit bud or a non-issue?...........

Steve Young wanted to beat up George Seifert. Anyone call him a cancer? What about Brady? Rivers? Manning?

Stop overblowing the jacket thing. He’s a good kid who overreacted and who’s never had any issues like that in college or high school. You can’t take an isolated event like that and and let it cloud your judgement. 

Ed Oliver like Josh Allen was the #1 overall pick headed into their Draft year for a lot of experts. A dip in production and an injury is why some of the shine is off on him but he dominated his competition for 3 years and saw multiple double and triple teams unlike Quinnen Williams who’s playing with multiple NFL players. 

On Day 1 he’s an elite run defender and through coaching his pass rushing can get to that level. Just needs to finish better but if he’s there at #9 he needs to be the pick.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...any concern with his sideline hissy fit bud or a non-issue?...........

No, apparently if you get triple-teamed once during a game against Tulane it’s all good.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Steve Young wanted to beat up George Seifert. Anyone call him a cancer? What about Brady? Rivers? Manning?

Stop overblowing the jacket thing. He’s a good kid who overreacted and who’s never had any issues like that in college or high school. You can’t take an isolated event like that and and let it cloud your judgement. 

Ed Oliver like Josh Allen was the #1 overall pick headed into their Draft year for a lot of experts. A dip in production and an injury is why some of the shine is off on him but he dominated his competition for 3 years and saw multiple double and triple teams unlike Quinnen Williams who’s playing with multiple NFL players. 

On Day 1 he’s an elite run defender and through coaching his pass rushing can get to that level. Just needs to finish better but if he’s there at #9 he needs to be the pick.

No, Oliver did not dominate prior to this year.  He had 5 sacks each year—against woeful competition.  He is one of the most over-hyped d-line prospects ever.

Edited by mannc

I like his talent but I think he'll be a low effort malcontent.  Especially after his first big contract.  People forget that he essentially faked being injured and sat out a few games at the end of the year when he should have been playing. That's why he was on the sidelines when his jacket was taken.

I don't want another Darius.  Find me JJ watt or Cam Jordan isntead

Edited by peterpan
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

There won't be a need for that because if he doesn't fall to us that just means an equally talented player like Williams, Allen, Wilkins, Gary, White or Ferrell will be there. Though I'd prefer Oliver you really can't go wrong with the 9 pick. 

The odds are against every single one of these players being good in the NFL. 

9 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

And I'll remind those that think he is a potential cancer to read what Applewhite said following this isolated incident about Oliver's high character. Many, including various local media in Houston defend Oliver. 

Here is a little bit of New England ramming it down our throats last year.

Take a look at the line splits vs the '3' wide' splits that Oliver could easily slice through in the other vid above.

I just don't think he'll be as effective vs tight splits in the NFL and will get buried way too often.

Maybe I'm way wrong, but I'd prefer a heftier guy with arms > 31.75" (Oliver).