2OG,2OT,C,TE,2WR,RB,KR. That’s an offensive FA!

11 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Can we still stash Teller on the PS?

A player is allowed on the practice squad for up to two years, with one year counting as six weeks in a season. A third year on the practice squad is only allowed if the team keeps 53 players on their active roster at all times (which every team does).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2018/9/1/17808772/nfl-practice-squad-2018-eligibility-pay-rules-changing-teams-what-to-know

Beane just about built an entire offensive unit except QB out of free agents. And that unit might even be better than the offense we fielded last year. My only fear is that we may have a whole lot of average or below average players. There's no spots I would call a true "hole", but the games will come down to how many individual match ups we win.

I'd feel better with a couple more studs. Maybe they'll come out of the draft. I'm not criticizing Beane, you can only sign guys who are out there, you can't call up Dominos and have pro bowl players delivered. Hopefully some of these guys step up and improve their game with the chance they have been given.

• Like (+1) 2

I just commented on a "our WRs still suck" thread, noting that I think we've improved from one of the worst WR corps in the NFL to roughly average.

I guess I could just cut-and-paste that here, changing WR to OL. That's where I think we are now. 

Nsekhe for Mills - upgrade from poor to average

Morse for Bodine/Groy - upgrade from poor to above average/very good (but not elite)

Various new Guards for various old Guards - I'm not seeing the upgrade, but hey, competition often results in somebody stepping up, so it's not a stretch to say we're going (again) from poor overall to average, particularly if Teller improves.

The new rallying cry: we're average!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ocemur said:

Beane just about built an entire offensive unit except QB out of free agents. And that unit might even be better than the offense we fielded last year. My only fear is that we may have a whole lot of average or below average players. There's no spots I would call a true "hole", but the games will come down to how many individual match ups we win.

I'd feel better with a couple more studs. Maybe they'll come out of the draft. I'm not criticizing Beane, you can only sign guys who are out there, you can't call up Dominos and have pro bowl players delivered. Hopefully some of these guys step up and improve their game with the chance they have been given.

I get the concern on that......

I honestly am not worried about these receivers.....because what is really going to make the difference is how good these OFFENSIVE LINEMEN are.....lets keep in mind that most ppl are basing their opinion on last years offensive group......which was just horrible.....so the fear is if they are not all name players that even if they improve they wont be good enough......

This team has the SIXTH BEST OFFENSE IN THE LEAGUE just a few short years ago with a defense that collapsed....now last year the D was good and the offense was horrible......if they can pick up their play just to average this is probably at worst a 9 win team.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

If 75 percent of the signings are contributors is a great FA I need to see the baby before I get happy

14 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

If 75 percent of the signings are contributors is a great FA I need to see the baby before I get happy

true....but i believe this staff will bring out starting caliber play and get these guys to play well above their past. don;t forget our oline coach has already worked with a couple.

• Like (+1) 1

YOU CAN'T FIX AN OFFENSE IN ONE OFFSEASON!!!

Or maybe you can if you've prepared for the opportunity by clearing bad salaries, eating dead cap, maneuvering to get your QB, and riding out one difficult season knowing what was to come.

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

Training camp will be all about the O-Line this year, and also the same idea to some extent at WR.  Competition pushes everyone higher and brings out the best.  

Not sure where the Bodine at guard idea comes from, he didn't play there at UNC or with the Bengals

I feel like we’re really just missing one “stud”.  

Solid OL with a lot of depth and potential.  

Solid RB’s in Shady/Gore. 

Solid WR’s with Foster/Brown/Cole/Zay

Tight Ends are the weak spot with Kroft/Croom, but if we add say, Hockenson or Fant, they could be that stud of their positional unit and immediately bring the TE position up to par with the rest of the team.  

Now, if Josh Allen is a stud, then that brings everyone up a level.   I believe he is, and want him given every opportunity to succeed - a stud TE would be huge. 

Im going DT at 9, but using pick 40 in a package to make sure we grab a top TE in this Draft. 

Edited by SCBills

14 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Not sure where the Bodine at guard idea comes from, he didn't play there at UNC or with the Bengals

He has primarily played C, but he did play some at G in college.  There was some discussion in Cinci early in his career that he might play some at G.  Here is one link for example- https://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/6/12/5803794/mike-pollak-russell-bodine-guard

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

He has primarily played C, but he did play some at G in college.  There was some discussion in Cinci early in his career that he might play some at G.  Here is one link for example- https://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/6/12/5803794/mike-pollak-russell-bodine-guard

Everything I've seen says "some snaps at guard" which isn't really anything. Kind of silly to ask a below average center to just start playing guard 5+ years into his NFL career because he's taken some snaps at the position here and there. Still gonna be below average.

23 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Everything I've seen says "some snaps at guard" which isn't really anything. Kind of silly to ask a below average center to just start playing guard 5+ years into his NFL career because he's taken some snaps at the position here and there. Still gonna be below average.

Honestly... I agree with you... I don't really expect much from Bodine, he is fighting for a roster spot IMO.  

Edited by One Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

My read is whatever superstar is there at 9, that’s where they are going. Could be any position aside from QB

17 hours ago, BubbaT said:

Now finish it off and draft a quality OT and an athletic quality OG in the first 3 rounds. It will give the Bills cost control thru the first contract with Josh and likely make the O line the strength of the team. (I like how Indy approached it w/ a 1st round center in 2016 and 1st round guard in 2018. They improved exponentially by doing so).  They clearly will have MUCH better depth behind it too. A lot of the FA OL's were "compete for it" type signings. Maybe they could beat out the high end draftees too but you know the depth will be much much better. 

Frankly with a really good O line, it will be pick your poison with the Bills. Do you cheat safeties up to stop the run and get explosive plays behind you with the speed WR's or stay back and let Shady, Josh and Gore run consistently against light boxes? It might be a lot of fun watching this O if they can get the O Line to an elite level.

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

7 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

My read is whatever superstar is there at 9, that’s where they are going. Could be any position aside from QB

17 hours ago, BubbaT said:

Now finish it off and draft a quality OT and an athletic quality OG in the first 3 rounds. It will give the Bills cost control thru the first contract with Josh and likely make the O line the strength of the team. (I like how Indy approached it w/ a 1st round center in 2016 and 1st round guard in 2018. They improved exponentially by doing so).  They clearly will have MUCH better depth behind it too. A lot of the FA OL's were "compete for it" type signings. Maybe they could beat out the high end draftees too but you know the depth will be much much better. 

Frankly with a really good O line, it will be pick your poison with the Bills. Do you cheat safeties up to stop the run and get explosive plays behind you with the speed WR's or stay back and let Shady, Josh and Gore run consistently against light boxes? It might be a lot of fun watching this O if they can get the O Line to an elite level.

Yes, that leaves rounds 2 and 3 for my OL's

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I agree. I don’t expect a trade down partner to materialize -which frankly hurts, but if one does I believe they’ll jump! Otherwise, yes, immediate starter somewhere.