Roster Concerns Prior to Draft

7 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I dont think BPA means the highest graded player available.  I think It means highest graded player available thats on their board.  Do you really think they spend a whole lot of time scouting QBs when we are set.

Other than QB I think everything is on the table.

Best Player Available means best player available. Teams still scout and rate players at every position, including QB when they have a QB, assign them a rating and then slot them. What if Josh were to get in a freak accident, injury or off the field issue before the draft, they would for sure look hard at QBs at 9. 

Even if you were right, they are NOT taking a C at #9 if he is clearly the best player on the board after they just made Morse the top paid center in the league. BPA doesn't exist. It is ALWAYS looking at the top few and making a determination, based on numerous factors, and then sometimes if not often eventually coming to the conclusion that the BPA is actually the one we should and will take.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Best Player Available means best player available. Teams still scout and rate players at every position, including QB when they have a QB, assign them a rating and then slot them. What if Josh were to get in a freak accident, injury or off the field issue before the draft, they would for sure look hard at QBs at 9. 

Even if you were right, they are NOT taking a C at #9 if he is clearly the best player on the board after they just made Morse the top paid center in the league. BPA doesn't exist. It is ALWAYS looking at the top few and making a determination, based on numerous factors, and then sometimes if not often eventually coming to the conclusion that the BPA is actually the one we should and will take.

They do not.  They dont have time to do that.  If I feel like it I may try to find an article that I read on how it all works, but Im kinda getting sick of doing what ppl should do themselves.  Some are appreciative but some still want to argue.  There are around 300 players on the their big board my friend IRC.

They have met with one QB.

Go ahead and look who they have met with and who they will meet with and it will tell you all they need to know.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

7 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

They do not.  They dont have time to do that.  If I feel like it I may try to find an article that I read on how it all works, but Im kinda getting sick of doing what ppl should do themselves.  Some are appreciative but some still want to argue.  There are around 300 players on the their big board my friend IRC.

They have met with one QB.

Go ahead and look who they have met with and who they will meet with and it will tell you all they need to know.

I do know how it works, and I do know all about how they slot guys, and their board and all of that crap. And I also know they were taking one of four QBs #1 last year and those four guys were NOT 1-4 on their board. 

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I do know how it works, and I do know all about how they slot guys, and their board and all of that crap. And I also know they were taking one of four QBs #1 last year and those four guys were NOT 1-4 on their board. 

I think that is what I said in my original reply wasnt it.  Wow whats it like working in the Bills front office.  Players get assigned a grade and if that players grade fits that slot then he is BPA.  Unless its a bad year and there isnt a guy left that fits that grade.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

19 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think the best way to describe GM-speak in regards to BPA is "prescriptive BPA".

The BPA that fits team needs - usually there are enough of them (needs) to have a potential game-changer where you are drafting sans reaching. Needs also are are not always obvious as they could be picking a player that they feel can backfill a current solid player that will hit FA in a year or two.

But just blindly picking the best NFL athlete sans a host of team need considerations - I don't believe that exists or if it does, not for long as that FO wont last.

• Like (+1) 1

Its great to discuss all this but in the end important to understand we are not going to get all thee pieces this year.......

Last year?   We were LARGELY devoid of talent......drafting the qb........Defense was ahead of the offense......lots of work to do

This year......talent on both sides of the ball appears to be more even......QB has a year of experience so you expect a big jump there.....defense was already good so you hope that a year of stability.......small upgrades.....(maybe a big one in the draft) and they continue to improve...but they dont get EVERY PIECE on either the O or D side of the ball........playoff team

Next year....Cap has been managed well and future draft picks not given up.....looking for those last few needed pieces for deep run in the playoffs

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, richardb1952 said:

Appears Bills have made some interesting roster changes that should result in a better offense this next season.  Some areas I am still concerned with prior to the draft are as follows:

1.  Bills need another OT.  It appears they only have three on their roster.  I question whether McDermott is ready to assume a starting role if one of our starting tackles were to be injured.  

2.  I think Bills need to get at least one quality LB, maybe two.  They look awful slim in backups here as was the case when Milano went down.  Also, don't really know how injury will affect him this coming year.

3.  Need at least one other TE, someone versatile, that can block and catch.  Wouldn't mind a rookie here.

4.  I believe we need a penetrating 3 technique DL to help bring pressure up the middle.

5.  Could really use another quality edge rusher for the rotation.  Also because both Hughes and Lawson are possible FAs next year.

6.  Could use a young RB to groom for next year.  I doubt shady will get a new deal next year unless it is of the short term type.  Gore is already on a one year deal.  Could do this next year also as RBs are more "plug and play" than most other positions on the team, but should look into someone with some strong upside for this year so they can learn behind Gore and Shady.

7.  WR may not be as big a need now that Bills have added more talent but if there were one that they think could be a good steal, it might be a good move.

8.  Same for CB and Safeties.  I hope they look for some gems that might fit in and not necessarily need to start but can learn the system and be groomed for future success.

I'm not a Bills fan, but this is a serious question... Not a trolling question I swear! Why are you guys so high on Josh Allen? Horrible completion %. More INTs than TDs and only 6.5 Y/A. Tyrod Taylor had much better stats. 

3 minutes ago, ricko1112 said:

I'm not a Bills fan, but this is a serious question... Not a trolling question I swear! Why are you guys so high on Josh Allen? Horrible completion %. More INTs than TDs and only 6.5 Y/A. Tyrod Taylor had much better stats. 

Because stats are for losers....you have to actually watch the games and see how he plays

If you have not done that....then the discussion is moot

The Bills offense got all the FA $ so far, now it's the D's turn.  We lost Kyle, and only gained Kevin Johnson- a thrifty pickup, but unknown quantity.  We need to stop the run, and we need pass rushing. Right now I put DL as Bills #1 need.  DT, Edge, LB 

On offense we could use a starting RT and TE.  We must stockpile quality OL.  RB is very deep this year.  We need to draft a young RB too, but lesser priority.

Can we hit on DT, Edge, LB, TE, RT?  With 10 picks, and prime position for some trades, I say yes we can.  

CB,RB,G,WR I see as secondary needs

56 minutes ago, ricko1112 said:

Don’t look at the beginning of the season, look at the end of the season. Night and day. He made large strides in the right direction (literally and figuratively). Now, is he the long term answer at QB? Only time will tell. I’m more encouraged that I was as of the draft last year. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Augie said:

Don’t look at the beginning of the season, look at the end of the season. Night and day. He made large strides in the right direction (literally and figuratively). Now, is he the long term answer at QB? Only time will tell. I’m more encouraged that I was as of the draft last year. 

Thank you.

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Because stats are for losers....you have to actually watch the games and see how he plays

If you have not done that....then the discussion is moot

The Bills aren't on TV very often where I live. He has a losing record. He had a great game against the Dolphins in the last game of the season, but he was terrible the 4 games before that. In fact, he had 2 awesome games and 10 disasters. TT seems to have been much better and he was no good. Again, this isn't a trolling post, I really want to know.

7 minutes ago, ricko1112 said:

The Bills aren't on TV very often where I live. He has a losing record. He had a great game against the Dolphins in the last game of the season, but he was terrible the 4 games before that. In fact, he had 2 awesome games and 10 disasters. TT seems to have been much better and he was no good. Again, this isn't a trolling post, I really want to know.

He had great games against Minnesota and both Miami games(the one in Miami, he was singlehandedly willing them to a victory before Charles Clay swiped that away), despite the throwing stats, he played very well against Jacksonville, had a GW drive against the Titans, he also had both TD's with a terrible surrounding cast against Detroit. Could he have played better? Absolutely. This year he will have a chance with the new offensive line, WR's and TE's to take a leap which everyone expects. If he doesn't I guess we know what we have.

14 minutes ago, ricko1112 said:

Like I said....your not watching.

The Josh Allen that came back after his injury was miles ahead of when he went down......A LOT of trying to carry a team that was a disaster on offense (which is not Josh Allen's fault)

6 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

He had great games against Minnesota and both Miami games(the one in Miami, he was singlehandedly willing them to a victory before Charles Clay swiped that away), despite the throwing stats, he played very well against Jacksonville, had a GW drive against the Titans, he also had both TD's with a terrible surrounding cast against Detroit. Could he have played better? Absolutely. This year he will have a chance with the new offensive line, WR's and TE's to take a leap which everyone expects. If he doesn't I guess we know what we have.

Nicely explained.

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Like I said....your not watching.

The Josh Allen that came back after his injury was miles ahead of when he went down......A LOT of trying to carry a team that was a disaster on offense (which is not Josh Allen's fault)

I can't watch because they're never on TV.  He's certainly not getting the national love that Sam Darnold is. With all the moves you guys have made, we'll see if he's for real or not.

1 hour ago, ricko1112 said:

Like John said......watch the games.  You can’t watch the games because they aren’t in your area?  Then leave us alone.  You don’t matter to us.

Apparently I'm in the radical minority of folks who don't believe that John Brown and Cole Beasley represent much of an upgrade for this offense. I think to plan on antyhing more than 1000 yards and 8 TDs from the two of them combined is to be unrealistically optimistic. With Shady at the end of his career, and a journeyman tight end we don't have any game breaking talent in my opinion. If we want to actually beat good teams and not just lose with more dignity we need guys that can break the game wide open. The type of players who are a threat to score anytime a ball is in their vicinity, the type of players who are open when they're double covered, the type of player that comes down with a 3rd and 20 jump ball while getting drilled by Earl Thomas. These aren't they.

I''m going Metcalf Rd 1, Best RB or TE available in Rd 2, and David Sills in Rd 3. Draft all the defense you want after that. They aren't winning you any games if you can't score at will.