Roster Concerns Prior to Draft

Appears Bills have made some interesting roster changes that should result in a better offense this next season.  Some areas I am still concerned with prior to the draft are as follows:

1.  Bills need another OT.  It appears they only have three on their roster.  I question whether McDermott is ready to assume a starting role if one of our starting tackles were to be injured.  

2.  I think Bills need to get at least one quality LB, maybe two.  They look awful slim in backups here as was the case when Milano went down.  Also, don't really know how injury will affect him this coming year.

3.  Need at least one other TE, someone versatile, that can block and catch.  Wouldn't mind a rookie here.

4.  I believe we need a penetrating 3 technique DL to help bring pressure up the middle.

5.  Could really use another quality edge rusher for the rotation.  Also because both Hughes and Lawson are possible FAs next year.

6.  Could use a young RB to groom for next year.  I doubt shady will get a new deal next year unless it is of the short term type.  Gore is already on a one year deal.  Could do this next year also as RBs are more "plug and play" than most other positions on the team, but should look into someone with some strong upside for this year so they can learn behind Gore and Shady.

7.  WR may not be as big a need now that Bills have added more talent but if there were one that they think could be a good steal, it might be a good move.

8.  Same for CB and Safeties.  I hope they look for some gems that might fit in and not necessarily need to start but can learn the system and be groomed for future success.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You just listed everything except interior OL. :)

I think we focus on BPA as always with an edge for DE/DL, LB, and OT. If a WR pops up we need to grab him, and we would do ourselves wonder by nailing a great steal at RB late. 

Edited by dayman
  • Haha (+1) 1

Agree with your list.  I have no idea who is on the Bills draft board, which likely means any number of players or positions will be in play.  I truly don't believe we could narrow the list less than eight players with a legit shot at #9. 

Having said that, IMO, most likely at #9 are Edge, OT or DT.  I think Bills wait for later rounds for best available at all other positions. 

Just now, dayman said:

You just listed everything except interior OL. :)

I think we focus on BPA as always with an edge for DE/DL, LB, and WR. If an OT pops up we need to grab him, and we would do ourselves wonder by nailing a great steal at RB late. 

I'll put te on that list too

All the top end teams utilize their te very well and have talent there

I'm thinking WR/TE are about equal on their board, and would take whichever has the better player available at that position

Pass rush/dline is a bit thin also

Oline could always use depth

After those I think late round rb and cb depth

The great thing, as others have said, is that the Bills don't have a lot of true NEEDS.

They have a lot of "would be nice to have"s. 

I count TE, 3T, and OT as NEEDS. We don't have a definite starter at any of those three spots. Just about everything else would be nice to have, but isn't a huge need. Largely, this is a credit to Beane's successful free agency.

• Like (+1) 1

OT- Biggest need, we can't/won't go into the season with McDermott as our only backup.

TE- Really need another younger option here. I'm ok with Kroft for a year while rookie develops.

LB- Need to add at least 1. I really wouldn't be surprised at Devin White in the 1st.

DT- Agreed, need to add a penterator here

RB- Must add a rookie

WR- I'd love to add a rookie, and I think we will, but WR isnt really a definite need anymore

• Like (+1) 1

I think they'll knock off either #4 or #5 before the draft.  There are a few teams that are real tight under the cap and will need to 'do something' in the near future.

Beane doesn't let much slip by him and I'll bet he's talking back and forth to a few teams right now.

Edited by hemma

1 hour ago, Just Joshin' said:

The analysis is generally spot on.

I believe Beans will go BPA in the draft.  He will then fill the gaps with low cost FAs and camp cuts.  The only big move left is Ziggy but I worry his career is on the descent.

BPA is a joke

Mel Kipers list?

Brandon Beanes list?

How about Aunt Martha ?

7 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

BPA is a joke

Mel Kipers list?

Brandon Beanes list?

How about Aunt Martha ?

I would imagine, since we are talking about the Bills’ pick, it would be BPA according to the consensus of the Bills’ front office and coaching staff...

But, that’s just me.

• Awesome! (+1) 1