How the state of the Bills franchise has changed dramatically

DJB

On 3/15/2019 at 5:27 PM, DJB said:

Gone are the cheap Ralph days. 

Gone are the days of signing an aging and deteriorating Mario Williams to am oversized contract when we had nothing else around him and we should have been tearing it down instead of that marketing ploy by Russ Brandon. 

Gone are the days of trading up for a WR using valuable draft stock when we had no QB to throw to him. 

Gone are the days of hiring a flashy coach like Rex Ryan who was all talk with little substance and had the team pulling in different directions. 

I'm just so pleased with this front office and ownership group who appears to have an actual plan to be successful and be a perennial team in the playoff hunt. 

Obviously going for Allen was their biggest and smartest decision they have made. And now free agents are actually wanting to come to Buffalo because of our QB!

McDermott and Beane have built an actual team with character and skill who care for each other, the city of Buffalo and are excited to be a Buffalo Bill!

And for once in a very long time im proud to be a Bills fan! The time is now!

Go Bills !

well the Pegulas did hire Wrex but i get what your saying. Now that they have a feel for running a football team, they picked the right guys to lead us to the promised land.

Now about that Hockey team ... ?

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:49 PM, Jasovon said:

The focus of this team now seems to be winning games instead of selling tickets, this pleases me.

You make it sound as if drafting Spiller at #9 was not a smart pick that was based strictly upon winning games. :)

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:51 PM, formerlyofCtown said:

Had an All-Pro season the year before Rex came and played at a ProBowl level both years before that.  Rex made that contract bad.  A player doesnt go from All-Pro to washed up over one offseason.

Rex had Mario and Dareus in pass coverage. Rex....the "defensive genius."

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

You make it sound as if drafting Spiller at #9 was not a smart pick that was based strictly upon winning games. :)

Rex had Mario and Dareus in pass coverage. Rex....the "defensive genius."

Outsmarted himself and made two AllPros stop caring about the game.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

Outsmarted himself and made two AllPros stop caring about the game.

It reminded me of Jauron.

At one point Schobel was our only pass rusher (and a vastly underrated one at that). Jauron sometimes had him line up SO wide he was close to the sideline. I could never figure out why. On some other plays he would drop into pass coverage and there was absolutely no pressure.

The Bills signed Mario for close to 100 million to sack quarterbacks and he did just that. Dareus was a 340 pound DT, not a cornerback.

Wow, the things we had to put up with..........

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I know.

It was completely unnecessary to sign the best pass rusher on the market.... and it's impossible to rebuild your roster and sign FAs that will help your team. Sorry about that.

The state of the Bills will change when they start winning. Until then it's all talk.

But we didn't and that's my point. The rest of the roster around Mario was barren so signing him was a waste 

13 hours ago, Codyny13 said:

An above average player on a bad team, the exact player he was with the Texans. I can understand not liking the contract, which would be Buddy Nix’ fault not his. As far as effort, the last year under Rex, I get it, he was completely unfit for the scheme Rex ran and he made it known with body language. Ryan and the defensive staff did a horrible job adapting the scheme to fit the players on the roster. They turned the 2nd rated defense into a middling unit that used disguises to try and fool opposing offenses rather than using the best d line talent we’ve arguably ever had to wreak havoc. He was being misused and didn’t handle it great, but the bills got the player they bought, a double digit sack guy used to try and hide the fact we still had no qb and no chance of sustained winning. 

Well the big problem wasn't the disguising - it was the 2 gap system for guys like kyle and dareus etc.  Penetrating d-linemen were instead responsible for just eating up blocks.  Mario had to cover a bit as a 3-4 OLB, and just generally didn't like having to rush standing up.  I think the defense as a whole was more affected by the 2 gap system though.  

They also implemented a ton of checks in the defense, so there was a lot of gap switching and coverage switching pre-snaps.  This results in second guessing and mistakes.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DJB said:

But we didn't and that's my point. The rest of the roster around Mario was barren so signing him was a waste 

?A barren roster produced a top 5 D?

I mean we definitely were a work in progress but I wouldnt say barren and the top 5 D was in his third year of the contract

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, DJB said:

This is the problem around here. Selective memory and short (and long) term memory loss. The present time is always great. Things are so clearly different now. The past was obviously a failure and everyone knew it would be. You cannot compare because the folks of the past were incompetent and the teams were terrible.

Mario Williams - People went crazy when he signed here. The times are changing. Its a new era in Buffalo. This was not just on the message boards but even outside of Buffalo. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eofs-2012-nfl-season-predictions/

That is just one example. 

Didnt work out that year. They were just a QB away...Niz drafted EJ and retired in style saying he left the team in shape to succeed. 

EJ wasnt the guy but the Defense kept getting better. In 2014 we had one of the best in the league. Mario had 10 sacks, hughes had 10, dareus had 10. Orton at QB and almsot made the playoffs. 

Edited by ngbills

I like what Beane is doing in FA and can't wait to see what he does in the draft.  On paper, Beane has filled a lot of holes, which should be further solidified in the draft.

McD... I'll give him this season to see what he can do with the new talent.  If he can get to 9-7 this year, I think that will be successful; the offense is still a work in progress.  What I don't to see is us getting gashed in the run game on defense where teams put up 40-burgers again.  That shouldn't happen and leaves me a little apprehensive about how good the defense, and DC Frazier, really is.

On 3/15/2019 at 8:24 PM, Augie said:

Gore is 35, and Beasley is 29. Yes, they will get older, God willing, but you have exposed your bias by misstating the facts. 

They'll be that age when they put pads on. It's not misstating anything. It's using common sense.

16 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

They'll be that age when they put pads on. It's not misstating anything. It's using common sense.

Tense is an important part of communication. It’s using proper communication skills. They “will be” at the beginning of the season, and you posted that repeatedly as though it were fact, which makes the average reader wonder if there is an agenda in place. 

Just now, Augie said:

Tense is an important part of communication. It’s using proper communication skills. They “will be” at the beginning of the season, and you posted that repeatedly as though it were fact, which makes the average reader wonder if there is an agenda in place. 

how pedantic.

On 3/15/2019 at 5:27 PM, DJB said:

Gone are the cheap Ralph days. 

Gone are the days of signing an aging and deteriorating Mario Williams to am oversized contract when we had nothing else around him and we should have been tearing it down instead of that marketing ploy by Russ Brandon. 

Gone are the days of trading up for a WR using valuable draft stock when we had no QB to throw to him. 

Gone are the days of hiring a flashy coach like Rex Ryan who was all talk with little substance and had the team pulling in different directions. 

I'm just so pleased with this front office and ownership group who appears to have an actual plan to be successful and be a perennial team in the playoff hunt. 

Obviously going for Allen was their biggest and smartest decision they have made. And now free agents are actually wanting to come to Buffalo because of our QB!

McDermott and Beane have built an actual team with character and skill who care for each other, the city of Buffalo and are excited to be a Buffalo Bill!

And for once in a very long time im proud to be a Bills fan! The time is now!

Go Bills !

What planet are you living on?

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

What planet are you living on?

one where Josh Allen makes good decisions on the field and where his passes have accuracy and touch most of the time. Its a planet where a crappy completely non-contending team is turned into a contender with one solid off season of FA signings,.