How the state of the Bills franchise has changed dramatically

DJB

29 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I agree with the thought behind this post, but I think it’s innacurate to say Mario was a bad signing. He was a top 10 pass rusher for much of his time here, and he was a main part of a top 5 defensive line for the Schwartz years. 

And Rex was hired by the Pegulas.

I agree that we’re headed in the right direction. 

Had an All-Pro season the year before Rex came and played at a ProBowl level both years before that.  Rex made that contract bad.  A player doesnt go from All-Pro to washed up over one offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

So far, beane and McDermott have done a really good job at flipping this roster and re building. However, they have had some misses, such as missing out on mahomes. What they did is essentially build a team the way a team should be built. Like some others have said though, nothing matters unless they start winning. 

2 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Yeah these posts come out every year.  I wanna see the consistency in winning games first then I’ll bang the drum.  

I’ll bang that drum like a fifty dollar *****, thank you very much!

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

And I don't think anyone wants to play in Buffalo in december whether we are good or not. 

Isn’t that the beauty of it all?  Making Miami play here in December?

Maybe my favorite game ever -  making Oakland come here in late January back in ‘91.

9 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I said the very same thing about the Sabres at Thanksgiving...

Cynic ?

(So did I)

• Haha (+1) 1

I don't think we've signed anyone in FA these last 2 years that will have a significant impact on wins and losses. Morse is the best FA signing so far and he's coming off 2 injury riddled seasons. He was the 3rd best C in the C-stacked AFCW. As always, our drafts will eventually determine our fate.

On the bright side, we just signed our 2 best WR's and Morse is a pretty big upgrade at C. Nsekhe is also a noticeable upgrade at RT even if he is 'almost average'. Our return game also got a long overdue upgrade too. As far as these other new OL are concerned, we'll just have to wait and see, but I'd caution against too much optimism. I am intruiged by this WR from the CFL, though.

As we stand now, I'd love to see us draft Ed Oliver, Irv Smith Jr and Chris Lindstrom in rounds 1 and 2 after packaging our 3rd with a day 3 pick, but I have a feeling they will be gone before we pick. Lindstrom in the 2nd would be sweet.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Frank Gore is 36 and Cole Beasley is 30. What in the hell are you talking about?

Tom Brady is 41. George Blanda retired at 48.

If Gore and Beasley can play at a high level and help the team win, I sure don’t care how old they are.

Age is just a number.

Edited by The Senator

1st point, this idea that Ralph Wilson was cheap is kinda unfair. Perhaps back in the early days he was, but by the late 80's he spent a ton for those hall of fame rosters, where the Bills were among the most expensive teams in the NFL & could be argued were part of the reason behind the creation of the salary cap in the 1st place. Not to mention the whole reason we have the AFC with him dishing out $400,000 to the Raiders back in 1961 (which wouldve been worth $3.3mil back then) & loaning money to Billy Sullivan of the Patriots. This narrative thats stuck with Ralph til his end just never told the whole story imo. Even with his generous gift from his estate we still say it & I just don't think thats fair.

And perhaps this is just semantics, but I don't think the state of our team has changed that much. Sure for us fans our hopes are up & we filled a bunch of holes, but until we put it all together on the field & put up some wins, nothing has really changed per se. We could lose the 1st 2 games of the year, heck even just the preseason & this whole board would be creating posts about "the same old Bills" & the sorry state of our franchise.

So yeah I'm excited about next season. On paper we've drastically improved our offense & depth, but I've been excited pretty much every offseason as we look for the new year to begin. Until we are what we hope we are & we beat New England & contend for the playoffs, the state of our franchise is the same. In our eyes it may be brighter but those twitter posts we saw during the AB debacle, those could be made tomorrow just the same.

5 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Tom Brady is 41. George Blanda retired at 48.

If Gore and Beasley can play at a high level and help the team win, I sure don’t care how old they are.

Age is just a number.

Rich Gannon came out of nowhere to put together an MVP season at age 35, so maybe we should re-sign Losman. i hear he looked good slinging the ball at Clemson.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Rich Gannon came out of nowhere to put together an MVP season at age 35, so maybe we should re-sign Losman. i hear he looked good slinging the ball at Clemson.

Well OK, point made - I would be against re-signing Losman, despite how good he looks with no pass rush, throwing to college kids

(BTW, Jim Kelly retired at 36)

Edited by The Senator

I think the idea here is more we actually look like we have a plan.  Whether it works or not, whether players pan out or not, Beane has a plan and is actually attempting to build a team properly, filling holes in FA and the draft.  On paper this team looks notably stronger then last season.  Offseason moves seem to be made with the goal of putting more games in the win column as opposed to the past where flashy moves were more designed to put fans in the stands.  I, for one, welcome this change.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I agree with the thought behind this post, but I think it’s innacurate to say Mario was a bad signing. He was a top 10 pass rusher for much of his time here, and he was a main part of a top 5 defensive line for the Schwartz years. 

And Rex was hired by the Pegulas.

I agree that we’re headed in the right direction. 

Aye. The Rex Ryan experiment was a brutal disaster that wasted two years of everyone's bills fandom

• Like (+1) 2

They used free agency to temporarily fill some holes.

Last year at this time TSW was talking about how Vontae might return to excellence and how Murphy could get back to double digit sacks and Star would be a star and McCarron was an incredible value that Beane pulled from a magic hat. ?

Those were just the guys who were going to be great.    The rest of the duds Beane signed were just going to compete for starting gigs.:flirt:

The good news is other than the awful Star Lotulelei contract most of the others were deals that it would be easy to walk away from.

Which brings us to this 2019 free agent crop.........little bit better players.........higher dollars.......but same profile.........a high potential for flameouts and injury and mostly deals that will be easy to walk away from when the time comes to re-up with the guys that McBean has drafted.

For the most part.......they are just doing what free agency is really good for..........filling needs with hopefully, temporarily productive players.........and allowing the team to draft with a clear head and hopefully be able to draft better, long term players.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Frank Gore is 36 and Cole Beasley is 30. What in the hell are you talking about?

Gore is 35, and Beasley is 29. Yes, they will get older, God willing, but you have exposed your bias by misstating the facts. 

• Thank you (+1) 1