Transcript - Beane on 'Schein On Sports' 3/15 Sirius Radio

stevewin

Awesome. Thanks for posting this! Really appreciate you typing that out. 

It was was a great read. I love Brandon Beane interviews. The dude is a great public speaker. 

I loved reading some of the details/research that went into signing Cole Beasley. You can tell Beane puts a lot of thought into the decisions he makes. Very detail oriented.

Edited by BillsFan4

Good interview. I like what he said about Beasley and how he gets good separation at the top of his routes and how he always runs routes to the correct depth. Good insight.

• Like (+1) 1

"Check down Charlie" -- love it.  Many of us have been saying the same thing -- much better to have to rein in a guy who wants to make big plays (Josh) than to try and convince a guy to actually take some shots (Tyrod).

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Did you type all that? 

I didn't have my secretary do it ? 

I started it and the interview just kept going - I decided to trust the process and grind it out til the end (what a pro's pro would do)

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

55 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Beane on 'Schein On Sports' 3/15 Sirius Mad Dog Sports Radio channel.  Good interview - some good insights.

AS - Think you have slammed it out of the park (in FA).  Two areas of weakness OL and WR.  Take us thru OL

BB - First trying to be more stout, and have guys create a firm pocket for Josh.  that started with Mitch Morse - played multiple position in college - moved to Center when he was drafted. is a bigger, firmer center and we thought that was a good place to start.  Then we added Ty Nsehke and Jon Feliciano who are both guys who have played and started, never been the full time guys but guys who are looking for opportunity to show what they can do - and they bring an edge and toughness which is something I think we needed to add as well

AS - How about WR position - not flashy but love what you did with Beasley/Brown.  What made them the right fits for Josh Allen and offense

BB - Josh is young and I thought we needed some veterans, guys he could count on.  The one thing about Cole is you always see Cole running the route to the right depth, and that's super important for the QB to know the WR is not going to cut the route short or long and he is going to be where he's supposed to be.  That's the big reason that Dak went to him on 3rd down - the money down.  Of the slot guys we looked at, we felt Cole was the quickest separator at the top of his route.  He had an initial burst out of his break, really good at the option routes, and I just think he'll be a good guy that if things break down Josh can go to him, esp on 3rd down.  John Brown – we pursued him in FA last year and we lost him and I understand why.  He was going to do a 1 year prove-it deal and our QB situation was up in the air – we had not had the draft yet and gotten Josh – so I understood the thinking by him.  He had a good year and we stayed on him and he came around this time and we were able to secure him for a 3 yr deal this time.

AS – Frank Gore is a HOF player – HOF person.  What does he mean in terms of tangibles and intangibles.  I think he still has some gas in the tank but would think for the Bills, the culture, it goes beyond yards when you look at a signing of Frank Gore

BB – Yeah he’s not a flashy signing by any means, from afar I’ve always been a Frank Gore fan and I’ve always loved watching him play.   The guy gets downhill, he’s physical, he’s tough, he’s a pro’s pro – if you need him in pass pro the QB can count on him.  He is a culture builder, it was classic with him walking down the hall after signing his deal yesterday with his helmet on – he looked like he was ready to go.   He had an energy, a juice, just in our building that people that had not been around him before felt.  He’ll bring some added competition and leadership and just a guy for people – he’s not going to be a rah rah talker – but a guy the young guys can watch and say this is how you do it.  Not a lot of RBs are playing into their mid-30s and the reason he is is because he’s a pro’s pro – he takes care of his body, he knows what he’s going to do.  He’s always counted on by his coaches and teammates.

AS – I love the Andre Roberts move – I voted him 1st team all-pro for STs.  You took him from a division rival – take me through process – a lot of people assumed he was going back to the Jets.  How’d you get that deal done.

BB – We kinda thought the same thing – but once FA opened he was one of the guys we were looking into.  We had an up-close look at Andre last year.   We were up on the Jets here in OP and he had two big returns on us that were game changers and allowed them to get field position to get some scores that eventually cost us the game.  He had an excellent year, all-pro, pro-bowl and he’s a pro’s pro.  One of our scouts actually coached him at the Citadel as well, so once FA opened we kind of used that connection to reach out to Andre and sell the opportunity here, and we felt fortunate to get him.

AS – Let’s talk Josh Allen.  I am obsessed with him.  QB draft class last year I think is going to be historic and I think the world of Josh and think he’s the perfect fit for your offense, for your city, for your team.  I think he’s going to be a star.  There were some ups/downs, and injury – I look at last year as good solid building block rookie year.  What did you see from Josh, how special can he be

BB – In spite of all his physical talents, Josh is a guy who has all the intangibles you want at the QB position.  He’s a big time leader.  I think he will year 2 walking in as the guy, he will feel himself, and hopefully he shows that he earns that C on his chest.  I think it even started with some of the things even I was unaware of – when these guys came in yesterday 4 or 5 of them mentioned to me that he was the first guy from this team, because we can’t talk to them during that negotiation period – we’re only dealing with the agent, Josh called them within minutes of it getting out.  They really thought that was cool.  It was good for me to hear – that Josh had taken the initiative to call those guys and welcome them.  I think Josh year 2 will be able to, again,  come in here, as the guy, starting when we get back in OTAs, with the first team the whole time.  You know last year he was running with the threes and didn’t get a lot of reps, and he was a rookie, so he struggled early, but after he injury he settled down and showed what he can do on a consistent basis

AS – We know he’s a great athlete, know he has a cannon for an arm.  In your opinion where does he need to get better

BB – It’s his decision making.  I hear the accuracy criticism, I don’t totally agree with that narrative.  It’s the decision making – and what it is is Josh is so competitive and he’s obviously got the arm, that he tries to make throws that a lot of guys can’t make so they don’t try even try it.  That was one of the areas of growth that we ket stressing to him – is it’s OK to take the 5 yd check down and move it to 2nd and 5 instead of trying to squeeze it into the hole 18 -20 yards down the field that’ just lower percentage.  There are times for those but sometimes you just want to possess the ball and keep the chains moving depending on your defense.  There’s times we’re playing a tom Brady we don’t want to score too quick, we ant to keep him on the sidelines.  That’s just a maturity thing.  I’d rather have to pull him back then him be check down Charlie and trying to kick him and ask him to drive it down the field.

AS – Love your coach – think he has a great feel for the moments, game day decisions, defense, establishing a culture.  What makes Sean the right guy to coach the Bills

BB – The first thing is he’s the same guy every day.  If you walk into out building and see him leading a team meeting or practice, if you didn’t know the records, didn’t know what part of the year we’re in whether it’s May, Oct, whether we’re 6-2 or 1-5 or whatever the record is – Sean’s the same guy every day – whether we’ve lost three in a row or won three in a row.  I think that stable approach – it’s a professional approach – and our guys appreciate that – that he is the same guy.  He’s disciplined – he wants team-first guys, as do I – that’s where we mesh in building this culture.  We want selfless guys and Sean himself is a very selfless individual – and he leads y example and I think it rubs off on our team.

AS – Separate fact from fiction on what was happening with Antonio Brown

BB – At the end of the day, without getting too deep into it – we reached out to Pitt and had talks that went on for a couple days and it kind of just became stagnant as they were waiting on offers – they had a Fri kind of soft deadline that they wanted to get it done last week.   Nothing was progressing wen that report came out – we had not gotten into negotiations with the agent or anything like that which would have been important because you don’t want to trade for a guy and then he doesn’t show up because he’s nt happy with his contract.  It was not far enough along to do a deal, we were definitely looing into what it would be and we decided at the end of the day it wasn’t for us.  He’s a good player and anytime there are good players we’re going to look into it , but it doesn’t mean we’re always going to pull the trigger.

AS – Last week on went bonkers on this show about the perception that players don’t want to play in Buffalo.  That to me is a joke – and it’s an awful narrative.  It’s a great city in general, a great football town.  What was going through your mind when you hear that.

BB – It was an ignorant comment, or comments – people can have their own perception – there’s certain cities we go to and we do or don’t like – I think most of the narrative it was an easy out to cover up for poor reporting.  At the end of the day it’s not true – I can’t tell you how many people when they come to Buffalo they love it – they love this city, players are idolized because this fanbase is so passionate.  It’s a college atmosphere.  When you pull through here at One Bills Drive you think you’re at an SEC game the way these fans are so fired up and the energy here.  Once guys come here they love it – I think we proved with these guys, some people were even saying you have to overpay – we didn’t have to overpay, that’s a poor narrative and it really pissed me off and I echoed that yesterday at our PC

AS – Expectations – how would you define success for the coming season

BB – At the end of the day we want to show improvement from where we were last year.  Our defense last year was very good.  We want to keep them a high ranking defense.  As you saw on FA mot of our moves were on the offensive side – that was a calculated move and obviously we want to move that up.  If our defense can stay the same, and our offense can make a drastic improvement, and we need to improve our special teams – that was art of the Andre Roberts signing – I think more wins will show up

AS – Draft focus – areas of need, BPA

BB – Definitely taking best player on the board.  That’s what FA is about is to fill the needs – I don’t believe going into the draft and drafting for need.  But listen as the draft goes along and you’ve filled some spots, as the draft goes along you will start to drift towards need, but I’m all about drafting good football players and that will be the focus this year

Shein ended by praising how Beane and the Bills killed it in FA this year

Edit:

Ha - happened to catch John Brown on moving the chains as soon as I was done with Beane's interview 

Very superficial interview- not really worthy of it's own thread - was in the transcripting zone so including here as well:

John Brown on Sirius NFL Radio ‘Moving the Chains’ with Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller

PK - Think you’ve found a home here – think you[re going to be in Buffalo a while

JB – That’s the plan.  I love it – I’ve just been up there one day and I love it already

JM – Last year you have a great year in Balt – touch on that and getting the opportunity

JB – I’ve just been blessed with playing with guys like Carson Palmer and Joe Flacco – guys that can throw the deep ball.  Taking that chance to go to Balt – I appreciate Joe Flacco – he trusted me a lot – and the thing that drew me to the Bills was Josh Allen – he can throw the deep ball and he got an arm  [Ed. Does he not appreciate Lamar Jackson? ]

PK – What was going on in Balt with the 2nd half with Lamar – I’ll say it for you – you don’t want to turn into a blocker all the time.  But now you’re back outside the number and running down the field.  Have you told Josh you can’t overthrow me

JB – I haven’t told Josh but I did tell Joe he couldn’t overthrow me.  I don’t know with Josh this is a whole new thing – he can sling about 80

JM – There’s a lot of buzz about the Buffalo Bills – other than Josh Allen what intrigued you

JB – What really got me – they tried to get me last year.  My college coach was the dame way he wouldn’t give up he kept coming after me – so for them coming back for a second round it’s got to be something so I wasn’t going pass the opportunity again – there’s got to be something special about it for me to go in a different direction the first time they went after me and almost had me for them to still come after me it meant a lot to me 

PK – What is plan for moving up there

JB – I planning to buy a house – hopefully will be up there longer than 3 yrs.  I got family back in Miami so I’ll just be back and forth

JM – See Balt got you adjusted to the cold (har har)

Did you type this up, dude?

1 minute ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Did you type this up, dude?

Big office move today - "Working From Home" this afternoon

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, eball said:

"Check down Charlie" -- love it.  Many of us have been saying the same thing -- much better to have to rein in a guy who wants to make big plays (Josh) than to try and convince a guy to actually take some shots (Tyrod).

A team needs to be careful about reigning in QB talent........you can ruin a QB by pounding the "can't go broke making a profit" nonsense.........it doesn't apply in a league where the goal isn't to be middling it's to be #1.     

That's where your Tyrod example is NOT an example of the opposite of Josh Allen's aggressiveness as a passer.

Tyrod wasn't naturally a guy who wouldn't take shots.

He arrived as a big play passer.........he averaged 8 yards per attempt in his first season as a starter in Buffalo.

That 8 ypa is a HUGE figure........it is Aaron Roders/Ben Roethlisbergers level...........7.8 average ypa career passers...........nobody confuses them with check down artists.

But if you don't provide quality targets and your defense can't survive a turnover.........your QB can grow critically conservative like Tyrod did...........and that habit can be hard to break.

They still need to keep trying to add big play talent to the WR corps.........Beaz and OJB are nice but they are probably 1-2 season band-aids........need Foster to continue to rise and to keep working on drafting and developing some big play threats. 

• Like (+1) 1