Tannehill traded to Titans

6 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

If the rumored price of a 3rd for Rosen is anywhere near right, they'd be crazy not to do it.  I know people are down on Rosen a bit but him for a 3rd vs maybe Lock at 11 or Jones in the 2nd seems like a no brainer.  If it doesn't work, you flush it out and take the QB early next year (kind of like Cleveland with Kizer).

Offer a 4th. A 3rd if need be. No brainer for Miami.

Pretty good trade for Miami, honestly. Getting a 4th for Tannehill is pretty good, especially since everyone knew he was out of favor anyway.

But, nowhere near as good as Beane getting the 1st pick in the 3rd round for Tyrod. That was an epic trade.

On 3/15/2019 at 3:24 PM, SoTier said:

I didn't say it made sense because it really doesn't for Tennessee unless they intend to send Mariota packing and draft a QB.   Bringing in a former starting QB to a team that already has a starting QB usually opens a can of worms.  As for Miami, how is their situation significantly different from the Bills' situation in 2018 when they traded Taylor?   What QBs did they have on their roster?   Nathan Peterman and ????

I did a little digging and from all appearances the Titans plan to keep Mariota as the #1 in their final true year of evaluation. Tannehill provides injury insurance as I recall the Titans were very much in the playoff race midseason before Mariota lost a few games to injury. I suppose I can allow it for making sense as they have a decent team on both sides of the ball really, and feel they can make playoffs if they have a healthy Mariota or clone Mariota.

AFCS just all got much better than midseason last year, so I'm not sure having a healthy mediocre quarterback insurance will be enough.. it certainly could have been enough last year. Texans and Colts are too good and getting better though, and Jax is putting all their chips down on Foles, should be significantly better. Makes more sense for the Dolphins now that I've pondered it. But I can see the merits of the trade for both sides.. equally not that great but I see their agendas.

Dolphins are simply on board Tanking Tua Championship... I'm trying to make that phrase popular. Peterman is the perfect quarterback for the job. Git r' done Dolphins GM.

On 3/15/2019 at 3:27 PM, apuszczalowski said:

Its an odd move to see the Titans trade for  backup QB, unless they are worried that Marriota may be hurt or get hurt and want an experienced backup. Tannehill wasnt a great starter but would be a very good backup QB to have.

They'd have arguably made the playoffs had Mariota stayed healthy. I understand it from that angle. But they need to look in the mirror and see how much better Jax, Indy, and Texans have gottens since they were staring down the barrel of a wildcard spot midseason.

Titans remind me of the AFC version of Redskins. Good overall team. Questionable offseason moves at quarterback. In divisions where they are not going to improve nearly as much as the other teams can.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Dolphins are simply on board Tanking Tua Championship... I'm trying to make that phrase popular. Peterman is the perfect quarterback for the job. Git r' done Dolphins GM.

They'd have arguably made the playoffs had Mariota stayed healthy. I understand it from that angle. But they need to look in the mirror and see how much better Jax, Indy, and Texans have gottens since they were staring down the barrel of a wildcard spot midseason.

Titans remind me of the AFC version of Redskins. Good overall team. Questionable offseason moves at quarterback. In divisions where they are not going to improve nearly as much as the other teams can.

I simply don't believe the Fins -- or any NFL team -- intends to tank.  First of all, it's not in the DNA of NFLers to deliberately lose because they've been raised and trained to be competitive all their lives.  If they didn't try their best to be the best at football, they wouldn't last in the NFL.  More importantly,  there is no guarantee that a collegiate underclassman who looks great comes back and plays just as well or better the next year -- or stays healthy.  Even if an underclass star does that doesn't mean that he'll make a good NFL player.  Too many supposedly "can't miss" college players, especially QBs, have crashed and burned in the pros.

I don't think the Titans would have made the playoffs even if Mariota had stayed healthy.  He's simply not a very good QB.  He's not any better than Tannehill -- neither can make the clutch plays when games -- or seasons -- are on the line.

15 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I simply don't believe the Fins -- or any NFL team -- intends to tank.  First of all, it's not in the DNA of NFLers to deliberately lose because they've been raised and trained to be competitive all their lives.  If they didn't try their best to be the best at football, they wouldn't last in the NFL.  More importantly,  there is no guarantee that a collegiate underclassman who looks great comes back and plays just as well or better the next year -- or stays healthy.  Even if an underclass star does that doesn't mean that he'll make a good NFL player.  Too many supposedly "can't miss" college players, especially QBs, have crashed and burned in the pros.

I don't think the Titans would have made the playoffs even if Mariota had stayed healthy.  He's simply not a very good QB.  He's not any better than Tannehill -- neither can make the clutch plays when games -- or seasons -- are on the line.

can't disagree with any of this. Just saying maybe I see the purpose of the trade after giving it some thought because it did and still does make very little sense for either side.

Just playing devil's advocate if you will.. trying to make heads or tails of this, and this is all I could come up with haha. Not saying the GMs aren't being dumb.. that's a given. I just wanted to know what reasoning they could have possibly had for making this move.

20 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Players and coaches never intend to tank.  Front offices do.

19 minutes ago, eball said:

Players and coaches never intend to tank.  Front offices do.

Give specific examples since 1970 of teams that deliberately tanked to get specific players -- and that this "plan" actually resulted in building a successful franchise.  I can't think of one. 

Yes, Indy won the Andrew Luck lottery by being terrible in 2011 but they had been expecting Peyton to play at least some time in 2011, and they didn't deliberately dismantle the team to insure they had the worst record possible.  That team was built specifically to rely on a dynamic QB -- which Luck was before he was injured -- which is how Indy continued to put up decent records (along with playing in the AFCS when it was about the worst its ever been).  Moreover, the FO that fielded the team that earned Indy the 2012 #1 pick got bounced after the 2011 season IIRC.

8 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Give specific examples since 1970 of teams that deliberately tanked to get specific players -- and that this "plan" actually resulted in building a successful franchise.  I can't think of one. 

Yes, Indy won the Andrew Luck lottery by being terrible in 2011 but they had been expecting Peyton to play at least some time in 2011, and they didn't deliberately dismantle the team to insure they had the worst record possible.  That team was built specifically to rely on a dynamic QB -- which Luck was before he was injured -- which is how Indy continued to put up decent records (along with playing in the AFCS when it was about the worst its ever been).  Moreover, the FO that fielded the team that earned Indy the 2012 #1 pick got bounced after the 2011 season IIRC.

I don't know if I agree or disagree, but the late 80's/early 90's Cowboys will certainly be the answer to this question.

That situation is a bit more complicated than a full on tank.

22 minutes ago, SoTier said:

You're presuming that everything is so literal, as if the GM walks into the HC's office says "we're tanking, but do the best you can with the crap I give you."  It's not that "in your face."

It happens more infrequently in the NFL than it does in other professional leagues, presumably because NFL owners seem to be impatient and think they should be able to fix everything quickly.  If we want to be intellectually honest, however, the Bills have really engaged in a two year tank.  McDermott and Beane walked into a situation that was untenable -- no franchise QB on the roster, several bad contracts, and a culture of losing.  They began a systematic dismantling and rebuilding of the organization -- otherwise known as a tank.  McD coached the team to the best of his ability and they tried to win but McD knew, Beane knew, and the Pegulas knew what the plan was.  Making the playoffs in 2017 was more of a testament to how you can get a group of men working together than any evidence of a talented football team.  We all knew they weren't good.  Last year was the one that really hurt -- all of the dead cap, signing stopgap free agents -- but they drafted their QB, MLB, and gave them both a full year of coaching and playing time while they took their medicine.

If the Bills turn it around this year you can bet it's an example of a successful tank.

51 minutes ago, eball said:

You're presuming that everything is so literal, as if the GM walks into the HC's office says "we're tanking, but do the best you can with the crap I give you."  It's not that "in your face."

It happens more infrequently in the NFL than it does in other professional leagues, presumably because NFL owners seem to be impatient and think they should be able to fix everything quickly.  If we want to be intellectually honest, however, the Bills have really engaged in a two year tank.  McDermott and Beane walked into a situation that was untenable -- no franchise QB on the roster, several bad contracts, and a culture of losing.  They began a systematic dismantling and rebuilding of the organization -- otherwise known as a tank.  McD coached the team to the best of his ability and they tried to win but McD knew, Beane knew, and the Pegulas knew what the plan was.  Making the playoffs in 2017 was more of a testament to how you can get a group of men working together than any evidence of a talented football team.  We all knew they weren't good.  Last year was the one that really hurt -- all of the dead cap, signing stopgap free agents -- but they drafted their QB, MLB, and gave them both a full year of coaching and playing time while they took their medicine.

If the Bills turn it around this year you can bet it's an example of a successful tank.

I was addressing the idea that's frequently been raised on TSW that a team was specifically "tanking" in order to get the #1 draft pick in the next draft in order to pick a specific college player, ie, Andrew Luck in 2012.  Teams often do dismantle good or mediocre teams for various reasons, most often because of pure incompetence, but one of them isn't to be able to pick a specific collegiate player