Allen seems to want to lead this team

14 hours ago, rayray808 said:

Best play was the dirty hit from Kiko, given the history of how he ran circles around him, this play was "the moment" for me because of how the rest of the team rallied around him after. This is when I fell in love.

i'm curious to see if ....and wouldn't be surprised to see botteger turn into a good guard.  he's no wimp. a corn fed iowa lineman who probably played a bit more tackle in college. 6'6"313.

i think he will stick on the roster.

Edited by billsredneck1

I think he has fully embraced the notion that a QB needs to be a leader on his team.  There are all kinds of leaders, and we see examples of several types among NFL QBs  There is no question Ben Roethlisberger is a leader for the Steelers, but I sure wouldn't like to see Allen do some of the things Roethlisberger has done - like shaming his star WR on a radio broadcast.  Fortunately, Josh Allen seems to have better sense than that so far.  Reaching out to new players to welcome them, interacting with players on the sideline to encourage them, even cheering his GM for good moves: it all shows Allen is fully involved in the culture that is the Buffalo Bills.

18 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I do not believe he's anything close to a franchise QB and I think that will become more evident as the season unfolds.

A lot of the excuses made in support of him last year will not be available this year with much better OL, better WR targets, etc.

PS:  I don't think anyone is questioning his heart, commitment, or even leadership skills.  But those things are not necessary to be a good QB in this league, and they are not nearly enough to overcome Allen's deficiencies at the position.

Anything close to a franchise QB?

WOW ... arguably the best rookie QB not named Baker ... 2 comebacks and 3 game winning drives .. see link ... with weak OL, no running game, with no TE and limited WRs.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02.htm

and please watch his walk off game at home vs. Miami.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, blacklabel said:

He made his fair share of "wow" plays this year. Plays that make you sit up and take notice. One of my favorite plays of his that gave me a lot of hope for his future was the 75-yard TD toss to Foster vs. Jacksonville. Kid hung in the pocket until the last possible second and let it fly. I still don't know how he get that throw off with the pocket collapsing the way it was. When I saw that play live I was like, "Doh, sack" and then you see the ball fly out of there and hit Foster perfectly in stride and he takes it in for six. Thing of beauty. Allen has a lot of positive things going for him, if he keeps putting in the work I think he's gonna be a good one. Even if we gotta live with a few erratic throws or "what the hell?" kinda plays from him, I'm all in.

I loved "The Hurdle", but this play should truly define who Josh is as a player and Buffalo Bill. It really reminded me of Jim Kelly. How many times did Jim stand there and make that pass knowing he was going to get hammered? That's the difference between good and great. I've seen that out of Big Ben, Brady, Brees, Favre. This is the element, along the pass needing to be accurate,  that makes a franchise quarterback. Can't wait for September!!!!

52 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Anything close to a franchise QB?

WOW ... arguably the best rookie QB not named Baker ... 2 comebacks and 3 game winning drives .. see link ... with weak OL, no running game, with no TE and limited WRs.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02.htm

and please watch his walk off game at home vs. Miami.

Cole Beasley and John Brown appear to think Josh Allen is franchise NFL qb material. They made career decisions based on that opinion, but what do they know compared to internet skeptics with years of keyboard experience?

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Mine was the week before that in the loss to the Chargers.

It was when Allen was running up to the defense in the 2nd half trying to rally them to get a stop so he can try and get us back in the game of what had been an atrocious first half.  And the defense responded and played much better in the 2nd half and the team carried all that momentum on the road against the Vikes the next week.  Thats when Josh played out of his mind for the first time too.    

Best example put forth yet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So did Losman, Fitz, EJ, and TT. Leadership has not been an issue. Hell even Peterman lead them right down the drain but the players seemed to back him.

Allen needs to  cut down the turnovers and make more throws from the pocket. A 2:1 TD:INT ratio for year two would be nice.  No one really knows how much he should run, but the odds of getting hurt are not in his favor.

On 3/16/2019 at 7:27 AM, BigDingus said:

Heart, commitment and leadership skills are traits successful QB's have, but they aren't traits that are indicative of successful QB's.

Allen can have the willpower & determination to be great all he wants, just as he can work his butt off & study all the film in the world, but that doesn't mean anything when it comes to actual play in games. We can hope it translates to better performances, but just because he wants it, doesn't mean it'll just happen.

Tom Brady is the best QB of all time. He has an average arm and the athletic prowess of a sloth.

He is all heart, commitment and leadership

1 minute ago, MacGyver said:

There isn't one play or one game that will bring me around on Allen.  Winning 10-11 games a season and being a perennial playoff team would do it though.

Next time I see him, I'll let him know.

• Haha (+1) 1

End of the Dolphins game, particularly the last throw to Charles Clay. That was an amazing late game performance, capped off with a throw I didn't think was possible. I mean, Clay was that wide open because no reasonable defender thinks JA rolling left, defenders in his face, would even consider attempting that, without stepping into the throw almost leaning backwards seems like, and not losing his cool and making the perfect decision to have the whereabouts to find Clay wide open. It was awesome.

Didn't really take much stock in hurdling Anthony Barr. It was cool, took guts, super athletic. willpower, putting it all on the line, leading by example yada yada yada, but it didn't tell me anything about how good of a quarterback he could be. I mean Peterman stiff armed the crap out of a linebacker week one or 2. Quarterbacks doing non-QB things are cool, but happen all the time. That game was bizarre start to finish, and pre-injury Allen never won me over. Post-injury JA was something else. Definitely the Dolphins end game. And the singular play is the throw to Clay.

Felt like the Favre breakout game coming back vs the Bengals when he hit a 40 yard TD on a comeback drive making a throw with a howitzer no reasonable defender expected a quarterback to make. Except it was Josh Allen wearing a Bills jersey :) in 2019.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

6 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Tom Brady is the best QB of all time. He has an average arm and the athletic prowess of a sloth.

He is all heart, commitment and leadership

And one of the highest IQ quarterback reading defenses that's also deadly accurate. He IS athletic in terms of throwing the ball accurately. And he plays as if everybody else on the field is in slow motion.

But yes, he has the heart, commitment and leadership. I'd wager without those, maybe he has like.. 2 Super Bowls. Without his accuracy and quarterback IQ he'd have zero rings and be... like Tim Tebow basically.

Those intangibles are the difference between him being a maybe HOFer, to the GOAT. He had all the skill and vision to be great if he wasn't a great leader and ultra competitive. Ya gotta have both the intangibles and the tangibles to be the GOAT.

On 3/24/2019 at 2:14 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

So did Losman, Fitz, EJ, and TT. Leadership has not been an issue. Hell even Peterman lead them right down the drain but the players seemed to back him.

Allen needs to  cut down the turnovers and make more throws from the pocket. A 2:1 TD:INT ratio for year two would be nice.  No one really knows how much he should run, but the odds of getting hurt are not in his favor.

No offense, but I hate this type of answer...nothing you said has anything to do with him asserting himself as a leader.  Why do people have this compulsive need to voice all their other negative or skeptical opinions about other things with Allen into every positive story about him?  Its like people cant handle their being positivity and need to regurgitate their skepticism over and over again even though it doesn't actually apply to the story at hand.

The story here is that he is asserting him as a leader.  Thats it.  Not about whether or not your skeptical of his ability to pass in the pocket. 

PS:  Stop it with those other guys.  They did not have close to the same leadership Allen has been demonstrating.  The only one was Fitz, and even he was not a guy I saw running up and down the sidelines trying to rally his DEFENSE to get a stop in his first start.  All those guys may have been good locker room guys, but there is a big difference in being a good locker room guy and a guy who takes full command as a leader of a football team.  Not one of those QB's were the unquestioned leader of their respective Bills team like Allen is asserting himself as.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why do people have this compulsive need to voice all their other negative or skeptical opinions about other things with Allen into every positive story about him?  Its like people cant handle their being positivity and need to regurgitate their skepticism over and over again even though it doesn't actually apply to the story at hand.

Well I mean.. a negative Josh Allen post on here criticizing some minute problematic stat of his, or a bad story would get annihilated with JA supporters on this board. It goes both ways. And there's really not a new story to talk about here or anything.. I really don't mind people giving some variety on this board when we have 4 new threads gushing over Josh Allen about the same few things every week haha. The "compulsive need" probably comes from TSW gushing over JA with 4 posts a week fatigue honestly.

Like I'll tell you my favorite JA moment, but I just didn't find the Anthony Barr hurdle all that impressive. Peterman stiff armed and just completely trucked a linebacker with one arm trying to tackle him like he was Marshawn Lynch in week 1 or 2. Quarterbacks making non quarterback plays are awesome.. but it happens with a lot of quarterbacks. That's just me. Same thing with the quarterback sneak JA broke for 30-40 yards. It was awesome but.. doesn't tell me he's the franchise.

My favorite moment was the Dolphin's game ending, particularly the last throw to Charles Clay. Josh Allen did something there, a throw that I didn't even think was possible when I saw him not have time to step into it. It was amazing, told me all I need to know in one play. He has the poise in late game situations, makes the right decision, and has a howitzer for an arm. It was like Brett Favre's breakout game with the Bengals throwing a cannon throw to begin his famed career. Only with Josh Allen in a Bills uniform in 2019 :) 

And he was upset at the loss of course. But he handled it well. Absolutely no blame on Charles Clay. He was probably thinking to himself "dang, how could I have made my team better today" instead of (and this is what TSW was banging): "**** THAT LOSER CHARLES CLAY!!!"

On 3/15/2019 at 1:28 PM, Captain Hindsight said:

The entire Miami game was beautiful start to finish. That was the game that made me a believer that he was going to be not only good enough to win some games, but great enough to win some playoff games

Definitely the Miami game. The ending had all the drama and effort and heartbreak that made me feel like I was watching Josh Allen in the AFC Championship. And that throw to Charles Clay showed off his howitzer. I didn't think he could get that ball close the Clay rolling left, stopping and throwing with no forward momentum and defenders rushing into him. It was awesome.

I know non-quarterback plays from quarterbacks are awesome and really cool and inspire the teammates around them to sack up and play football like their quarterback.. but that scenario carries a lot more weight when your quarterback is actually a good quarterback as well doing crazy non-quarterback plays.. like John Elway's helicopter dive in the SB. Sage Rosenfels imitated it. His teammates thought he was an idiot haha.

On 3/15/2019 at 1:24 PM, auburnbillsbacker said:

I think he has great leadership skills.  He will need to emerge a good player though to truly be a leader on the team.  I think he will.  

yep. When Sage Rosenfels helicopter dives for a first down, his teammates and sports center laugh at him for it for the rest of the season. When John Elway does it in the SB, it's like one of the most iconic plays in NFL History.

Leaders have to still be really good.