Allen seems to want to lead this team

49 minutes ago, Seoulful Soul said:

I will start by saying I have a huge man-crush on Josh Allen.  I found him to be one of the brightest spots of last year, especially after he came back.

But his working this off season, his immediate contact with all free agent signees. . .this kid wants to run this team.  So, my question to all of you. . .if you think Allen it, what play made you believe he's the franchise QB?

For me. . .it was one play.  The hurdle run.  That showed me exactly what this kid is and has.

Mine was the week before that in the loss to the Chargers.

It was when Allen was running up to the defense in the 2nd half trying to rally them to get a stop so he can try and get us back in the game of what had been an atrocious first half.  And the defense responded and played much better in the 2nd half and the team carried all that momentum on the road against the Vikes the next week.  Thats when Josh played out of his mind for the first time too.    

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I do not believe he's anything close to a franchise QB and I think that will become more evident as the season unfolds.

A lot of the excuses made in support of him last year will not be available this year with much better OL, better WR targets, etc.

PS:  I don't think anyone is questioning his heart, commitment, or even leadership skills.  But those things are not necessary to be a good QB in this league, and they are not nearly enough to overcome Allen's deficiencies at the position.

Would love to read you expert analysis on all his deficiencies.  It sure as hell isn't his arm strength, mobility, leadership, or heart.  I bet here come the bad accuracy diagnosis...well, it's kind of hard to have high completion % when your WRs and TEs drop balls left and right and you have such tight windows to throw in since they cannot create any separation that the margin for error is so small.  Ok, he misses an open guy once in a while, but guess what?  So does Brady, so does Breeze, so does Mahomes (or did you miss that wide open guy he missed in the endzone in the playoffs?).  Don't be afraid to embrace this kid.  Jump on in, the water is warm.  Enjoy the ride and don't be a miserable SOB Debbie Downer.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Logic said:

The 3rd and long from his own end zone where he threw a rope to Zay for a 1st down.

This play you reference is probably my favorite play of the season.  It is this one, or the back shoulder to foster down the field against the Jets, or the back shoulder TD to foster the last game of the year.  To me, those are throws that a buffalo qb hasn’t made in forever.

• Like (+1) 2

The QB is always the de facto leader of a team, but some do not take to the role very well.  Fergy was that type of guy in Bills history, never seemed comfortable in that role.  Allen not only is the facto leader, but wants that role.  And from what I've seen so far he'll be good in that role.  

Like all the second year QBs he has work to do and improvements to make.  But he seems to have the work ethic, leadership skills and respect of teammates that are essential if he is to succeed.

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Hunh?

Not sure what you mean so I'll answer my own question.

If you already think he's shown he's the franchise QB, I'd argue your threshhold for "franchise QB" is too low. He's still got a lot to prove. And it won't be a play that makes him the franchise QB if he gets there, it'll be the consistency of his play and particularly his passing over a long period of time.

I’ll challenge this with a Kelly reference. His 1st year was ‘86, and he made some marvelous throws, showcasing his arm talent on a 4 win team. In the @ Chiefs game, he was faced with 3rd & 7 at their 40. They came out in the gun, but Kelly quickly realized where the Chiefs would blitz him from. Hurriedly audibled and ran up under center for a quick snap and handed off to Robb Riddick who raced untouched to the end zone.

For all the thrills he gave a starving franchise in a crappy season overall, I knew we had a championship caliber QB with that play.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Hunh?

Not sure what you mean so I'll answer my own question.

If you already think he's shown he's the franchise QB, I'd argue your threshhold for "franchise QB" is too low. He's still got a lot to prove. And it won't be a play that makes him the franchise QB if he gets there, it'll be the consistency of his play and particularly his passing over a long period of time.

Cole Beasley says watch the tape.?

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Seoulful Soul said:

I will start by saying I have a huge man-crush on Josh Allen.  I found him to be one of the brightest spots of last year, especially after he came back.

But his working this off season, his immediate contact with all free agent signees. . .this kid wants to run this team.  So, my question to all of you. . .if you think Allen it, what play made you believe he's the franchise QB?

For me. . .it was one play.  The hurdle run.  That showed me exactly what this kid is and has.

...."seems to" is a vast UNDERSTATEMENT.....kid has size, surprising speed/agility, the cannon arm we knew of as well as one helluva work ethic and leadership attitude.....EVERY bit of "no guts no glory...no bawls no blue chips".....perhaps to a fault when he tries to do too much.....did we get the RIGHT Josh (COUGH)??...

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Seoulful Soul said:

It will be great if he can... cause Lord knows we need it badly from that position. 

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

While ppl look at Allens size, cannon arm, and athletic ability.....what gets lost in all of that is that Josh Allen just gets it when it comes to being a starting QB of a team.......

he knows what he is supposed to do...he is a natural

I think your wrong

but your entitled to your opinion

Also entitled to be wrong but we wont hold that against him

Edited by fansince88

Just think back to all the people who wanted him to sit the whole season.  Imagine what would be the response of free agents who you were trying to sell on playing with a QB who never played a down in his rookie year.  Look at what Brown said about why he didn't sign with Buffalo last year because he didn't have an idea who would be his QB in Buffalo.  As Beasley said, he looked at the tape of Allen from last season.  Would the free agents be taking Allen seriously as he called each up if he'd never played a down yet?    

Honestly, he won me over in the first preseason game. He was aggressive and a threat to ANY area of the field. I was against drafting him, but he changed my mind quickly. What he did with the worst supporting cast in the NFL last year was phenomenal. He is definitely a franchise QB. Bills still need to draft more offense with their early picks.

10 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I do not believe he's anything close to a franchise QB and I think that will become more evident as the season unfolds.

A lot of the excuses made in support of him last year will not be available this year with much better OL, better WR targets, etc.

PS:  I don't think anyone is questioning his heart, commitment, or even leadership skills.  But those things are not necessary to be a good QB in this league, and they are not nearly enough to overcome Allen's deficiencies at the position.

Gotta disagree totally with this part of what you wrote. These things are absolutely necessary for long term success in the NFL. The NFL is a QB driven league. If you want to win consistently in the NFL, you need a QB with these attributes to lead your team. Granted he can't do it alone. But how many talented QB's have we seen with cannon arms who have failed over the years?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

Gotta disagree totally with this part of what you wrote. These things are absolutely necessary for long term success in the NFL. The NFL is a QB driven league. If you want to win consistently in the NFL, you need a QB with these attributes to lead your team. Granted he can't do it alone. But how many talented QB's have we seen with cannon arms who have failed over the years?

Heart, commitment and leadership skills are traits successful QB's have, but they aren't traits that are indicative of successful QB's.

Allen can have the willpower & determination to be great all he wants, just as he can work his butt off & study all the film in the world, but that doesn't mean anything when it comes to actual play in games. We can hope it translates to better performances, but just because he wants it, doesn't mean it'll just happen.

36 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Heart, commitment and leadership skills are traits successful QB's have, but they aren't traits that are indicative of successful QB's.

Allen can have the willpower & determination to be great all he wants, just as he can work his butt off & study all the film in the world, but that doesn't mean anything when it comes to actual play in games. We can hope it translates to better performances, but just because he wants it, doesn't mean it'll just happen.

I haven't read any posts suggesting Allen is going to be a successful or franchise caliber QB simply because he has heart, commitment, leadership skills, or just because he wants it. Those comments are made along with the knowledge that he has immense physical talent, and has given indications he has the intellectual acumen necessary to play the position as well. The variables that lead to success are unique to each individual, and it is difficult to parse them out in terms of which might carry greater weight / have greater influence.

The traits you listed might not, on their own, be indicative of future success; however, I would argue they certainly could be important variables in his chances to be successful - and can't be dismissed as "not meaning anything when it comes to actual play in games."

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

The hurdle or his TD to Foster against Jacksonville. That ball moved so fast and he got absolutely crunched. Saw it live and thought to myself "About 5 QBs ever could make that throw, that was incredible"

The entire Miami game was beautiful start to finish. That was the game that made me a believer that he was going to be not only good enough to win some games, but great enough to win some playoff games

mic drop....