Team culture clarification/redefined

Great stuff from Brandon Beane, saying what others have been observing here... they aren't assembling a church choir.  

Also a great deal of other great info in the article linked (Athletic sub.)  

If nothing else, over the last seven days Beane lived up to his reputation as a general manager who is willing to be aggressive. Many assumed certain players would be off-limits because of how much Beane and McDermott have stressed finding the right guys. But there also comes a point when you trust the culture to absorb the occasional exception, Beane explained, depending on the situation and the price tag.

“You can’t have a lot of that, but if you have a strong culture you can,” Beane said. “I’m not going to say whether ours is or not. I really like our culture. It’s not perfect, but I think it’s heading in the right direction and much stronger than when we got here. We’re not looking for all choir boys here. We’re looking for team guys, guys that do care about the team. Sometimes guys are going to be a little outspoken. That doesn’t mean they’re not a team guy. Some guys we’re going to bring in here we think are about team, and if we find out they’re not and they’re not our kind of guy, you’ll see them at some point work their way out of here. We’re not going to bat 1.000.

“As long as I’m here, and I think Sean feels similar, we’re not going to sit on our hands. We’re going to play and there’s going to be times where we’re going to be aggressive. If there’s a guy we think can help us and be a fit in our culture and our team, we’re going to go after him as long as it fits the cost parameters that we think is fair compensation.”

Edited by One Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 2