Hockenson at #9 Change My Mind

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

As much as I like Hockenson, and I really do like him....picking him at 9 doesn't feel very "Beane/McDermott Bills".

Picking a defensive or offensive lineman, on the other hand, does.

Luckily, this is one of the deeper tight end drafts in years, and it seems likely they can get a quality tight end in round 2 or even 3.

Irv Smith, for instance, seems like a perfect 2nd round target. Speed, athleticism, championship pedigree, and experience with our offensive coordinator.

I'm fine with it either way. To come out of this draft with either Hockenson or Smith would be awesome.

I think Hockenson has process written all over him. 

Im fine with Hockenson and Tillery or Oliver and Smith Jr in the first two rounds.

6 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Wow this is so off base. Hockenson didn’t rise because of his combine, Fant is the one rising because of his combine. 

Hockenson was the starting TE over Fant(they play a lot of two TE tho) at a traditionally rich TE school. Hockenson had better production on the field despite the higher athleticism of Fant. Hockenson is a way better blocker and has better hands then Fant. 

I think you have your analysis backwards 

Well backwards analysis makes sense since he's talking out of his rear end on this topic.

1 minute ago, billspro said:

I think Hockenson has process written all over him. 

Im fine with Hockenson and Tillery or Oliver and Smith Jr in the first two rounds.

He checks all their boxes

-tough

-plays hard

-hard working off the field

-consistent

-versatile

-no drama on or off field

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Logic said:

Hock looks like he'll be an elite tight end for a long time.

The thing that puts him over the top, in my opinion, is his insane blocking ability. Everyone knows he can attack the seam, catch the ball, and be a star in that regard. But the way that he absolutely BURIES people in the run game or as a pass blocker is insane. Not sure I've ever seen a TIGHT END pancake as many people as Hockeson has. Not only that, he LOVES to block. Loves it. 

So if you draft Hockenson, you're not only getting a great, young target for your quarterback, you're also getting a next-level blocker in the run and pass game.

As for the notion of "When was the last time an elite NFL tight end was drafted in the 1st round?", I'd say this: If Gronkowski and Kelce and Ertz in their primes were all available in this year's draft, does anyone have any doubt that they'd all be picked in the 1st round? Look at the value that Gronk has added to NE, Kelce has added to KC, and Ertz has added to Philly. Is anyone REALLY going to say that those contributions aren't worth a 1st round pick?

Gronk and Kelce would top 3 in this draft no doubt . Ertz top 15

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I want the best TE in the draft. I’m all in for it at 9 or any pick that requires what I just said. Im tired of these lower mid tier TEs. In Bills history, we have never had a truly elite TE. I’m talking Kelce, Ertz, Kittle level. Not A guy like Pete Metzalars that was a great BILLS tight end...I want a guy that is great in relation to the rest of the NFL. Not just the C list guys in Bills history. Go out and get the top TE. I don’t mind it at 9.

Eric Ebron was the number 9 pick....not elite at all, but higher rated than serviceable and better than average.

3 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Well backwards analysis makes sense since he's talking out of his rear end on this topic.

He checks all their boxes

-tough

-plays hard

-hard working off the field

-consistent

-versatile

-no drama on or off field

maxresdefault-34-696x392.jpg

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Billzfan23 said:

Eric Ebron was the number 9 pick....not elite at all, but higher rated than serviceable and better than average.

and i would have been pissed if that who bills got. There was plenty of talk Bills were going to take him. although he is settling in finally...
Obviously Bills have avoided a serious investment at the position since Clay arrived  and not much at all before that : (
if they need what appears to be a dependable target and player over the next so many years for Josh ? This is a guy Bills have to look hard at. at nine .
 hope he falls and we are prepared to find the sweet spot to acquire this seemingly perfect fit for Bills

Does Daboll think so ?  : )