Hockenson at #9 Change My Mind

People need to ask themselves, if we already had 2 top flight TE’s on the roster, would they still take Hockenson at #9... I say this because I don’t think Beane will reach on a TE just because it is a position of need...he is a good prospect- no doubt, but there seems that there will be better talent at that pick.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

People need to ask themselves, if we already had 2 top flight TE’s on the roster, would they still take Hockenson at #9... I say this because I don’t think Beane will reach on a TE just because it is a position of need...he is a good prospect- no doubt, but there seems that there will be better talent at that pick.

He's top10 mocked by many many people.

He's an elite TE prospect.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

as long as we might agree Bills have a need ?
 Having no issue where or how they resolve the Te dirth.
I gotta think Daboll wants to solve it as well. Croom may have upside a hybrid rec Thomas....

easy position to improve upon. is Kroft that guy? upgrade ? sure. answer? not yet
If Bills trade down and add picks would you feel better about General Hochstetler ?

I would be good with it. I am one of the fans we believes this admin knows what they are doing. I just don’t see them making TE a first pick priority. And I do think they will add another TE in the draft. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

13 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I would be good with it. I am one of the fans we believes this admin knows what they are doing. I just don’t see them making TE a first pick priority. And I do think they will add another TE in the draft. 

having some faith in the FO is taking some getting used to : )

i agree with the last sentence for sure

On 3/15/2019 at 1:04 PM, thebandit27 said:

Best argument I have is this: when was the last time that a top-10 TE went on to have a great career?

Matter of fact, when was the last time that a 1st-round TE went on to have a great career?

Moreover, who are the best TEs in football in the last half-decade? How many of them were 1st-round picks, let alone top-10 picks?

Ebron while average in detroit was pretty elite last year. 

23 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

To be a solid team, as of right now, we need a solid if not stud OL, DL, TE, and LB. We have a top pick and still 30m in cash. I think Beane is looking for a big trade. I don't think you can count on any #2 pick to start and perform well immediately although some do. One or more of those four guys may be here before the draft. I'd love a trade down to 15 or so and take Hock, then try to package and move up to late first for another top prospect. I would be happy with Oliver or Jonah though. 

Hock does a lot of things. He helps in pass and run game. He helps Kroft be more valuable. He helps Brown and Foster stretch the field. A good TE in this offense combined with what we have now could make Josh very dangerous. Kroft is not that guy. I still wouldn't mind adding Cook. 

If Taylor or Oliver are there at 9 - we snag them at 9. I am not ruling out a trade back in rd 1 for Hock though; how we pull that off is another question. 

Edited by Reed83HOF

7 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

He had a great year in terms of TDs...his yardage was somewhere around 40th in the league, but yeah, he's at least an argument that someone could make.

That said, would you consider Ebron--with his 1 year of elite TD production for a team that didn't draft him--a guy that was worth a top-10 pick?

20 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

No I wouldn’t, but that would be my answer for any position.

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He had a great year in terms of TDs...his yardage was somewhere around 40th in the league, but yeah, he's at least an argument that someone could make.

That said, would you consider Ebron--with his 1 year of elite TD production for a team that didn't draft him--a guy that was worth a top-10 pick?

He definitely wasn’t, especially if you look at some of the other first rounders in that draft.

I think the thing to ask is do we want to build our passing game around a TE or is our TE going to be a complimentary piece?  If he's going to be complimentary then I think the team can wait until rds 2 and 3.  If we want to build our passing attack around the TE position then take Fant or Hock in the early teens.  Me personally, I don't see Hock at 9 because I see the TE as a complimentary piece in Daboll's passing attack rather than the centerpiece.  2nd, with the way Beane has been bringing in players in the offseason, I think the pick at 9 is going to be defense.  Offense has received a great deal of attention through FA.  At 9 I see Interior DL; LB; Edge, not necessarily in that order. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I think the thing to ask is do we want to build our passing game around a TE or is our TE going to be a complimentary piece?  If he's going to be complimentary then I think the team can wait until rds 2 and 3.  If we want to build our passing attack around the TE position then take Fant or Hock in the early teens.  Me personally, I don't see Hock at 9 because I see the TE as a complimentary piece in Daboll's passing attack rather than the centerpiece.  2nd, with the way Beane has been bringing in players in the offseason, I think the pick at 9 is going to be defense.  Offense has received a great deal of attention through FA.  At 9 I see Interior DL; LB; Edge, not necessarily in that order. 

A big, fast TE who can catch to go with our speedy WRs and RBs would be a great addition - but not at 9

23 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Could be Fant. I am a Nauta fan out of UGA. I watched him play in high school and college. Heck of an athlete that had a bad combine. Bills could get him in the 3rd I think. Caveat to that is Belichick. Last year Belichick spent time at UGA during spring practice. Belichick has a good line of communication to Kirby Smart.  

Jace Sternberger from Texas A & M is a guy I want if they don’t go Hock at 9. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Really well reasoned post.  At pick #9 you're looking for an immediate impact player and I don't see the fit with Hock either.  I'll be shocked if it's not D.

At this point, my only question is why his teammate is ranked higher in some drafts.  

In what I’ve seen of him, I’m good if they take him at 9.  Less than a third of the NFL have a real threat catching TE.  To get someone that can lock down that position for years to come, I’m in.  Especially if he’s going to be a LB mismatch that requires DB help.  Then he will come off a lot stronger as a blocker too. 

Look, from day 1 Hockenson helps us move the chains.  If he's anywhere near what he was in college, the Bills start moving the chains AT-WILL.. Which, in case no one's paying attention, is exactly what the Patriots do to us. (Every single time :wallbash:)    No matter who your pick is at 9,  you can't ignore that type of ability on draft day.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/17/2019 at 5:02 PM, JaCrispy said:

I hope Beane takes the best player he is able to. after trading out of nine lol. be cool if it was this kid.
I find it very hard to swallow drafting a TE at nine . regardless of how well i might imagine he fits Bills system.
Oliver is a better fit even perhaps ?

8 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

i mentioned earlier here he was finally showing up : )
we might prefer a day one menace at nine

5 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

You determine this by the players you have on the roster.  If your Te consistently gets open and makes plays you build your passing attack around his strengths.  

Most of the mock drafts I have seen now have Hock going at pick 7 to the Jags or pick 12 to the Packers. I am not saying mock drafts are an exact science but it seems that Hock’s value is climbing and that a trade down might not work if that is who we are targeting.. 

14 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

If Taylor or Oliver are there at 9 - we snag them at 9. I am not ruling out a trade back in rd 1 for Hock though; how we pull that off is another question. 

Everyone keeps saying trade back and take Hock . It's not happening he won't be there. The Pack will take him at #12 no doubt about it.