Hockenson at #9 Change My Mind

This is tough because if Beane likes a player and his character...I could see him taking that player regardless of what public opinion and the so called experts say.  The thing that probably sways me to think that it isn't going to be Hockenson at 9 is that I don't think he has been in for a visit.   That's not to say if he drops into the 20 to 30 range that Beane wouldn't trade down to get him. As of right now, I don't think he would be our pick at 9 if we stay there.  I would tend to think that Oliver or possibly one of the OTs would be in the cards.  For whatever reason....it seems that the great TEs get drafted in the 2nd round round and beyond.  

20 hours ago, Bangarang said:

What we currently have is not good even if you’re wearing rose colored glasses. Our d-line needs help and I don’t think any scheme can make up for what we have.

And that’s just currently, what about the year after? The Bills have no pass rushers signed past 2019, they need to start thinking about drafting replacements before they are gone.

On 3/15/2019 at 1:14 PM, Bangarang said:

Just say no to a TE at 9. He may be a solid player eventually but I want more than just solid with a top 10 pick. I bet he won’t go top 15 either

We desperately need help on the d-line and that is by far the strength of where we are picking. Just take Ed Oliver and let him wreak havoc on opposing QBs

Finding a good solid starter at the 9th pick is fine.

Here are the last 10 9th overall picks:

BJ Raji, CJ Spiller, Tyron Smith, Luke Kuekly, Dee Milliner, Anthony Barr, Ereck Flowers, Leonard Floyd, John Ross, Mike McGlinchey

I would say 2 of 10 (20%) were great - Smith and Kuekly), 4 were good at least for a while (Raji, Spiller, Barr, Floyd) 3 never panned out (Milliner, Flowers, Ross) and McGlinchey was promising in his rookie year, but too soon to call.

So, if you agree with my assessment above, pick 9 has a 20% chance of being great, 40% of being pretty good for at least some time, 30% chance of being a bust and we don’t know about last year’s 9th pick yet.

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/15/2019 at 2:19 PM, KauaiBuffaloSports said:

I would not be upset if we went with Hock at 9 but I am weary. TJ rose up the boards after the combine because of his workout times which always scares me. Fant is the player that I would prefer because he has proven himself on the field. If DK and TJ are both examples of guys who shoot up the board because of their athleticism, not their production on the field. Give me a DL at 9

I don’t think that is the case at all.  Some had Hockenson high before the combine, and his test results were very good, but not eye catching enough to move him way up.  He is valued as a well-rounded TE who is a great blocker and good receiver.  Most of the TEs coming from college are not good blockers - and blocking is a big part of playing TE.

15 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Finding a good solid starter at the 9th pick is fine.

Here are the last 10 9th overall picks:

BJ Raji, CJ Spiller, Tyron Smith, Luke Kuekly, Dee Milliner, Anthony Barr, Ereck Flowers, Leonard Floyd, John Ross, Mike McGlinchey

I would say 2 of 10 (20%) were great - Smith and Kuekly), 4 were good at least for a while (Raji, Spiller, Barr, Floyd) 3 never panned out (Milliner, Flowers, Ross) and McGlinchey was promising in his rookie year, but too soon to call.

So, if you agree with my assessment above, pick 9 has a 20% chance of being great, 40% of being pretty good for at least some time, 30% chance of being a bust and we don’t know about last year’s 9th pick yet.

I was thinking the same thing the other day, that some folks treat the 9th pick like it is a lock to succeed.

Up to recently I felt the Bills were incapable of making a 1st round selection that could be productive in the league, let alone a game-changer (unless it was a corner). As an organization we seemed to be more "money" on those middle picks 3-5 round selections.

Even with the concession above, I still see Beane going defense - simply because they have not gone after a DE or a DL in free agency, but they did get a veteran TE in Kroft. The Bills could use some push on the DL against the run, and could use someone to groom on the Edge behind Hughes, and the draft is deep at the top with this talent. Does not mean they do not grab a TE later for depth, as I could see them carrying 3 on the roster.

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

I was thinking the same thing the other day, that some folks treat the 9th pick like it is a lock to succeed.

Up to recently I felt the Bills were incapable of making a 1st round selection that could be productive in the league, let alone a game-changer (unless it was a corner). As an organization we seemed to be more "money" on those middle picks 3-5 round selections.

Even with the concession above, I still see Beane going defense - simply because they have not gone after a DE or a DL in free agency, but they did get a veteran TE in Kroft. The Bills could use some push on the DL against the run, and could use someone to groom on the Edge behind Hughes, and the draft is deep at the top with this talent. Does not mean they do not grab a TE later for depth, as I could see them carrying 3 on the roster.

I agree - I think DL is squarely in the conversation at pick 9 - likely the highest rated player available will be a DT or possibly DE.  Even with the FA signings, I think an OT will still be a strong consideration, if the team feels that the value is close - they have brought in a guy who could play RT, if needed in Nsekhe, but at 33 y.o. he isn’t the long-term answer.

As others have mentioned, I think Devin White (LB) could be in the mix as well.  Lorenzo Alexander is still starting at one LB spot and there is no candidate on the roster behind him to take his place after this season.

If they don’t take an OL in round one, I think that will be a priority in the 2nd.  If Risner or McGary are available, I think they will be tempted.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/16/2019 at 12:45 PM, BullBuchanan said:

We need to draft DK Metcalf and we need him to be the next Megatron if we want to get where we want to go.

Yea I mean, look how many rings he had while in Detroit...

Hockenson would be a great pick. Oliver would also be a great pick. Trading down would also be a great idea. For once, the Bills are in a good place after free agency and not scrambling to pick need because of missing out on player X, Y and Z.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Luka said:

Hockenson would be a great pick. Oliver would also be a great pick. Trading down would also be a great idea. For once, the Bills are in a good place after free agency and not scrambling to pick need because of missing out on player X, Y and Z.

Yea, I mean look at how many Bruce Smith, Kevin Greene, Julius Peppers, Chris Doleman, Jason taylor and John Randle had. You sure showed me.

On 3/16/2019 at 3:45 PM, WideNine said:

I see a lot of posts from our more objective TBD vets that Hock at 9 is not where he should be.

I agree, and feel like he should be in that 15-26 range of the 1st.

That being said his stock keeps rising and many "experts" or just folks that rank these guys for a living have him off the board before 15. Several and old Mel have him going to Detroit at 8.

We all know that draft value is not always BPA, but also demand. If enough teams like a player and doubt he will fall, his chances of being drafted sooner rises.

I like Hock, but don't think he will be in the cards for our Bills.

The consolation is the draft is deep with TEs, and we could still nab a good one (Oliver, or Warring),  just please no 6'2" Irv Smith. Concede the guy was productive in college and should find some success as a flex receiving option at the next level, but I just prefer bigger TEs less likely to get steamrolled if asked to block an NFL calibre DE.

is it a coincidence that Lions took Ebron early? and Mel has them trying again. Taking TE so high is going against the grain in drafting. 
that said i hope he falls Bills trade down properly and keep an eye upon him. He can play football , and TEs are not a dime a dozen .

25 minutes ago, Luka said:

good post

24 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Yea, I mean look at how many Bruce Smith, Kevin Greene, Julius Peppers, Chris Doleman, Jason taylor and John Randle had. You sure showed me.

Well don't make stupid claims that we're one wide receiver away from going to the big one and I won't point it out. Also, pretty much every guy you named was in the playoffs regularly... Megatron not so much. So yea...

2 minutes ago, Luka said:

Well don't make stupid claims that we're one wide receiver away from going to the big one and I won't point it out. Also, pretty much every guy you named was in the playoffs regularly... Megatron not so much. So yea...

I'm not at all saying we're one guy away. I'm saying that if we want to have a prayer of being what the Bills brass suggest they want to be, they need a top of the league WR talent.

8 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm not at all saying we're one guy away. I'm saying that if we want to have a prayer of being what the Bills brass suggest they want to be, they need a top of the league WR talent.

lets let Allen learn how to pass over the middle and feel the defenses  and know when he has someone breaking.. when he can expand his game, and he will we all hope.
in time my friend. all in good time .

To be a solid team, as of right now, we need a solid if not stud OL, DL, TE, and LB. We have a top pick and still 30m in cash. I think Beane is looking for a big trade. I don't think you can count on any #2 pick to start and perform well immediately although some do. One or more of those four guys may be here before the draft. I'd love a trade down to 15 or so and take Hock, then try to package and move up to late first for another top prospect. I would be happy with Oliver or Jonah though. 

Hock does a lot of things. He helps in pass and run game. He helps Kroft be more valuable. He helps Brown and Foster stretch the field. A good TE in this offense combined with what we have now could make Josh very dangerous. Kroft is not that guy. I still wouldn't mind adding Cook. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

so, Fant ?

cuz they sure as heck need some.

Kroft is not the answer.

Could be Fant. I am a Nauta fan out of UGA. I watched him play in high school and college. Heck of an athlete that had a bad combine. Bills could get him in the 3rd I think. Caveat to that is Belichick. Last year Belichick spent time at UGA during spring practice. Belichick has a good line of communication to Kirby Smart.  

Just now, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Could be Fant. I am a Nauta fan out of UGA. I watched him play in high school and college. Heck of an athlete that had a bad combine. Bills could get him in the 3rd I think. Caveat to that is Belichick. Last year Belichick spent time at UGA during spring practice. Belichick has a good line of communication to Kirby Smart.  

as long as we might agree Bills have a need ?
 Having no issue where or how they resolve the Te dirth.
I gotta think Daboll wants to solve it as well. Croom may have upside a hybrid rec Thomas....

easy position to improve upon. is Kroft that guy? upgrade ? sure. answer? not yet
If Bills trade down and add picks would you feel better about General Hochstetler ?