Hockenson at #9 Change My Mind

10 hours ago, 947 said:

I do like Hockenson, but chances are, we won't be drafting in the top-10 again anytime soon. If we pass on an OT prospect, we may not have the chance at a top one for a long time. There'll always be top TEs in the mid-late 1st.

This is a great point, one which I agree completely. We need more blue chippers at impact positions.

LT or D-line for me. 

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I am a trade down guy.....but it is a good bet that Hock is gonna be more then just a "solid" player

He does everything you are looking for in a go to TE.....he also blocks

If there’s one thing a blue collar buffalo fan wants from his skill position players - it’s always blocking. 

Im not so much calling you out here but I think we have some fans that would prefer a 30 catch 300 yard in line blocking TE over a WR that commands double teams every play but doesn’t always deliver punishing blocks in the run game. 

Whether talking about the greatest pass catchers or runners it always gets a chuckle how quick the debate turns to who the best blocker is.

If they trade back with say Houston for Clowney, then sure grab a TE, but not if they stay at 9.  

TE is just too much of a risk that early. Granted plenty of prospects at all positions don’t live up to their potential, but TE’s rarely make an immediate impact.  Even Vernon Davis who was regarded as a can’t miss prospect, drafted 6th overall, took 3 full seasons before the light finally went on. He had more receiving yards in his 4th season than his first 3 combined.  Ebron was another more recently who never looked the part until getting to a new team and being paired up with an elite QB who throws 50 times a game.

4 minutes ago, HomeTeam said:

This is a great point, one which I agree completely. We need more blue chippers at impact positions.

LT or D-line for me. 

If there’s any way to get a star at an impactful position you have to go for it top 10. Getting a solid guy at a second tier position is definitely not ideal even if he plays well. 

The positive is we should have a shot at a great talent at one of those spots. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure if it means much but to me I think it does, the Bills have only met with 1 TE and it was at the combine, Isaac Nauta so either they are super confident not to interview any of the tight end prospects or they have the guys they like and will roll with them. What's interesting as I look at the pre draft visit tracker, they haven't met with Josh Allen, D.K. Metcalf, either of the TE's, DT Christian Wilkins, Deebo Samuel, DE Nick Bosa, DT Jeffrey Simmons but they have met with DT Ed Oliver, WR Marquise Brown,  both of the big OT Jawaan Taylor and Jonah Williams and DE Rasaan Gary. 

Did we even interview him at the combine? I know there were 2 or 3 TEs that we met with and neither him or Fant were one of them. They could bring one or both in for pre draft visits but if they don't I think it's a good indication that we will going TE later in the draft

16 hours ago, Bangarang said:

We get absolutely zero pass rush from our interior guys. Star is not the answer to that. Phillips is nothing more than an average rotation guy. Lawson is not a pass rusher on the edge so I wouldn’t expect him to suddenly become one playing inside. Phillips has a ways to go as well.

We need a talented DT capable of penetrating and getting to the QB.

AMEN to this. Its a key component we are missing. Oliver is my guy.

59 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

We need to draft DK Metcalf and we need him to be the next Megatron if we want to get where we want to go.

And while we're at it we need to turn water into wine. That's how easy it will be for Metcalf to be the next Calvin Johnson. 

He's more likely to be the next Lonnie Johnson

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JM57 said:

And while we're at it we need to turn water into wine. That's how easy it will be for Metcalf to be the next Calvin Johnson. 

He's more likely to be the next Lonnie Johnson

lol

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....just an unsubstantiated hunch, but TE at #9 is doubtful.......think Ebron was the last one at #9 and didn't even show up until this year......still think McBeane trades down into the mid teens and hopes to grab an extra 2nd........

who really is in the market for a TE like him this year? Patriots ?

10 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

lol

who really is in the market for a TE like him this year? Patriots ?

....well with Gronk's "I'm in...no I'm out (retirement)" yapping, sounding more like Waffling Willie, I could see BB pulling the trigger at #32 for a TE replacement, IF available without trading up to chase him.....senior moment speculation....

I see a lot of posts from our more objective TBD vets that Hock at 9 is not where he should be.

I agree, and feel like he should be in that 15-26 range of the 1st.

That being said his stock keeps rising and many "experts" or just folks that rank these guys for a living have him off the board before 15. Several and old Mel have him going to Detroit at 8.

We all know that draft value is not always BPA, but also demand. If enough teams like a player and doubt he will fall, his chances of being drafted sooner rises.

I like Hock, but don't think he will be in the cards for our Bills.

The consolation is the draft is deep with TEs, and we could still nab a good one (Oliver, or Warring),  just please no 6'2" Irv Smith. Concede the guy was productive in college and should find some success as a flex receiving option at the next level, but I just prefer bigger TEs less likely to get steamrolled if asked to block an NFL calibre DE.

Edited by WideNine