Hockenson at #9 Change My Mind

3 hours ago, Magnum Force said:

My gut says the pick is Oliver if he is there at 9....if not Wilkens.  But I could also see a scenarios where we take Hockenson or Metcalf.  

you kinda have to take Oliver don't you : )

9 is a tough spot this year imo.
Tackle DE LB Pass catcher , if you were picking for need which need would you pick ?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

I can't stop thinking that I want the Bills to draft Hock at the 9th spot.    I know that's high for a TE but what a fantastic offensive addition he'd be for our young QB.

I want DK... my gut is saying Hock also... I think they're trying to run that Pats offense... I have a thread about that. & Hock is the only TE compared to Gronk ... & I think they go that route come draft day. 

I would be disappointed, it's another weapon for Josh, a big weapon at that & it addresses a need too. 

Just now, GreggTX said:

Simple. We have no one to replace Kyle and there are several DT's who figure to be there at 9 that would probably be top 5 most years. Oliver is a difference maker IMO.

smacks of desperation my friend.
I think they could get by at DT this year without a star player.

scheme. and better LB play in the middle could improve what we saw last year 

5 hours ago, buffalostu2 said:

Look at Tom Brady's effectiveness vs edge pressure and pressure up the middle.   We have the opportunity to draft an up the middle pressure D Lineman at 9.   That is a better strategy than trying to outscore the Pats.  Just ask the Giants.

The only problem with that theory is that the just won the Super Bowl facing the two best up the middle DT's in the league.

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

smacks of desperation my friend.
I think they could get by at DT this year without a star player.

scheme. and better LB play in the middle could improve what we saw last year 

Have you seen our current crop of DTs? It’s no bueno

9 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

you kinda have to take Oliver don't you : )

9 is a tough spot this year imo.
Tackle DE LB Pass catcher , if you were picking for need which need would you pick ?

For need...probably Oliver or Wilkins....Wilkins is probably the safer pick but played for a national champion team while Oliver has more of the it factor and higher ceiling....So Oliver....but part of me would love to have that go to TE for Allen in Hockenson...great red zone target and safety valve.  I think with all the moves that have been made in FA with the OL, it would be hard to envision them taking either Taylor or Williams at 9.  

Edited by Magnum Force
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

For need...probably Oliver or Wilkins....Wilkins is probably the safer pick but played for a national champion team while Oliver has more of the it factor and higher ceiling....So Oliver....but part of me would love to have that go to TE for Allen in Hockenson...great red zone target and safety valve.  I think with all the moves that have been made in FA with the OL, it would be hard to envision them taking either Taylor or Williams at 9.  

Thanks for a solid opinion . : 0

• Thank you (+1) 1

- He's not even close to one of the top 9 talents in this draft.

- He might not even be the best TE.

- He was pretty pedestrian at the Combine.

- He's just as raw of a prospect as DK Metcalf without the impressive measurables (Redshirt Sophomore).

- Tight End is like Running Back. A top 10 pick used there would have to be a freakish talent.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Have you seen our current crop of DTs? It’s no bueno

I have. and i disagree.
 yes they need to add players at DT beyond Star and Phillips. Lawson can move inside ,and the other Kid . But i do not feel it is nearly as high on my list to resolve at nine.

Get  another pick via trading out of nine ? and you can have anyone you want bud : )

Have concerns about Murphy and i think DE pass rush across Hughes might be higher on the D line as need,
Just my arrogant opinion Bang : )

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

No to Hockenson at 9...he has short arms ?

Hand size is really what matters...

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

- He's not even close to one of the top 9 talents in this draft.

- He might not even be the best TE.

- He was pretty pedestrian at the Combine.

- He's just as raw of a prospect as DK Metcalf without the impressive measurables (Redshirt Sophomore).

- Tight End is like Running Back. A top 10 pick used there would have to be a freakish talent.

noted for draft day reflecting  : ) and badgering you perhaps ...

lol

btw for reference i am not a DK fan plenty of pass catchers later on who might fit and have nice upside 

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

I have. and i disagree.
 yes they need to add players at DT beyond Star and Phillips. Lawson can move inside ,and the other Kid . But i do not feel it is nearly as high on my list to resolve at nine.

Get  another pick via trading out of nine ? and you can have anyone you want bud : )

Have concerns about Murphy and i think DE pass rush across Hughes might be higher on the D line as need,
Just my arrogant opinion Bang : )

Hand size is really what matters...

We get absolutely zero pass rush from our interior guys. Star is not the answer to that. Phillips is nothing more than an average rotation guy. Lawson is not a pass rusher on the edge so I wouldn’t expect him to suddenly become one playing inside. Phillips has a ways to go as well.

We need a talented DT capable of penetrating and getting to the QB.

• Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

noted for draft day reflecting  : ) and badgering you perhaps ...

I'm not opposed to Buffalo drafting him. I'm just opposed to it happening at 9.

If they take him following a trade down to around the 20-30 range or if they traded up from the 2nd - okay.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

We get absolutely zero pass rush from our interior guys. Star is not the answer to that. Phillips is nothing more than an average rotation guy. Lawson is not a pass rusher on the edge so I wouldn’t expect him to suddenly become one playing inside. Phillips has a ways to go as well.

We need a talented DT capable of penetrating and getting to the QB.

scheme it.
 Bills did little blitzing inside last year ( pretty sure ). Edmunds struggled enough with taking care of his gap assignments. But he did okay when it was called.
I think the weakness was pressure from the edge. 

On Lawsons side.
I miss Kyle too.
and yes. its nothing spectacular on paper.. Lets hope Bills grab a 3 tech or whatever they want to run in the draft at some point. But it might be enough.

is Adolphus Washington still on the team lol

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'm not opposed to Buffalo drafting him. I'm just opposed to it happening at 9.

If they take him following a trade down to around the 20-30 range or if they traded up from the 2nd - okay.

I hear ya. i was messing with you a bit.
  Being able to move off nine would be best, regardless.

Honestly i do not think Bills see this kid like some of us fans.
But he really does fit the Bills. as mentioned above. Process matters.

Only two TEs have been drafted in the top 10 since 2000....Vernon Davis and Kellen Winslow Jr.....I think the most hyped TE since then was Jeremy Shockey at pick 14.  Gronk was taken in the 2nd round.  I wonder if this is more pre draft hype or Hockenson will actually go top 15.  

Edited by Magnum Force

36 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

scheme it.
 Bills did little blitzing inside last year ( pretty sure ). Edmunds struggled enough with taking care of his gap assignments. But he did okay when it was called.
I think the weakness was pressure from the edge. 

On Lawsons side.
I miss Kyle too.
and yes. its nothing spectacular on paper.. Lets hope Bills grab a 3 tech or whatever they want to run in the draft at some point. But it might be enough.

is Adolphus Washington still on the team lol

What we currently have is not good even if you’re wearing rose colored glasses. Our d-line needs help and I don’t think any scheme can make up for what we have.

TE later, I’m a believer in Oliver:  check this out (sorry if it’s already been posted elsewhere, lots of threads out there)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.catscratchreader.com/platform/amp/2019/2/8/18213548/ed-oliver-was-a-disruptive-defensive-tackle-in-college-and-he-should-be-treated-as-such-in-the-nfl