Hockenson at #9 Change My Mind

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Best argument I have is this: when was the last time that a top-10 TE went on to have a great career?

Matter of fact, when was the last time that a 1st-round TE went on to have a great career?

Moreover, who are the best TEs in football in the last half-decade? How many of them were 1st-round picks, let alone top-10 picks?

I think it’s more about the way teams value the position. I think each team needs to look at their own situation and make those decision. There have been good TEs taken in round 1 in the last 15 years but Most of the picks in round 1 are the same few positions. That doesn’t have to be wrong it’s just how it is.

I want the best TE. If we get that guy in round 2, then great. Im just a little worried that if we wait, this guy won’t still be there. 9 is high I understand but if you really love the player, take him. I don’t subscribe to just taking the best player regardless of position. I think that’s the dumbest thing humanly possible. That’s how you end up with C.J. Spiller even though you already had Lynch and Fred Jackson. If the best player left at 9 is a QB are we taking him? We need a TE bad and the top guy probably won’t last past 20. If we move back in round 1 and he’s still there, great. If we wait until round 2 and he’s gone I’m going to be upset. Now if the Bills think Fant is the best TE or the Alabama kid...fine. Get the one that they feel is the best for Dabol. If it’s at 9, I’m good. I don’t expect that to be the Bills thinking though.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Bangarang said:

Just say no to a TE at 9. He may be a solid player eventually but I want more than just solid with a top 10 pick.

We desperately need help on the d-line and that is by far the strength of where we are picking. Just take Ed Oliver and let him wreak havoc on opposing QBs

I am a trade down guy.....but it is a good bet that Hock is gonna be more then just a "solid" player

He does everything you are looking for in a go to TE.....he also blocks

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think its a real possibility and I would be excited about it.

I will be excited about a number of guys at 9, we are going to get a great prospect.  I started a thread that I do NOT think it will be a DT at 9 and expect an EDGE rusher or possibly Hockenson.  

My preference would be to trade down of course, then grab either TJ or Fant if they go TE, but if they don't find a trade partner then I think TJ is someone that will be in play at 9.  

If we do not go TE early, then I think someone like Jamie Oliver will be a target in rounds 3 or 4.  

Alpha...you and me both.  I know just like me, you were in the DK camp.  Now I am starting to move in the direction of TJ also.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

I'd love that but I'm not sure how long he's going to last.

Ebron was last TE taken in top 10 at 10 in 2014.  Since then there were 2 years, 2015 and 2016 with no TEs taken in Rd1.  2017 saw 3 taken after pick 19 in rd 1, Howard, Engram and Njoku.  Lats year saw 1 TE taken in Rd 1, Hurst at pick 25 to Ravens.  Don't see either Iowa TE going in top 15.

I would take BPA at 9 (DT, Edge or OT will likely fall) and then look at trying to target a TE by moving up into back of the round.  

Edited by freddyjj

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am a trade down guy.....but it is a good bet that Hock is gonna be more then just a "solid" player

He does everything you are looking for in a go to TE.....he also blocks

I wouldn’t say it’s a good bet. 

Edited by Bangarang

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Greg Costell is on One Bills live really talking up Kroft and Croom. Saying the TE we are missing is the blocking guy. That the 2 guys we have are athletic and will be big in the passing game. If the Bills FO feel that way about Kroft, I’d say TE early in the draft is probably out.

Croom was looking pretty decent last year until the injury. I keep forgetting about him.

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The thing is its not even middling talent.....this D is pretty much set and we would have 9 more picks.....

We really set this D up last year getting Edmunds, Taron Johnson, finding Wallace, etc.

True. Could be argued they need a core piece on the d-line. But I think it could wait. I’d go after a target for Allen over the middle. 

We have outside speed with Foster & Brown.

We have slot guys in Beasley, McKenzie, & Zay Jones.

We need a big target over the middle. Hockenson or Fant are perfec fits for that. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Best argument I have is this: when was the last time that a top-10 TE went on to have a great career?

Matter of fact, when was the last time that a 1st-round TE went on to have a great career?

Moreover, who are the best TEs in football in the last half-decade? How many of them were 1st-round picks, let alone top-10 picks?

Unpopular opinion around here: I would not be okay with Hock at 9. There is much better value to be had still at positions of need, and while FA helped us to address quite a number of holes in the roster - far more than I honestly expected in one off-season - this does not make TE our number one priority. While Hock may be the best TE in the draft to most, I don't believe he is the 9th best player overall, nor will he likely be the BPA at a position of need for us at 9.

We can address this need in myriad ways and doesn't warrant us spending a 9th overall on him. I'm constantly wary of drafting TEs in the first, as many do not have the experience to directly translate their skills to a first round pick value level and contribute in their first year. The TE position plays very differently in the NFL than in college, and while Hock may very well have the skills to make that transition, I don't see it happening in the first year. For the value, there are many more options in an otherwise unprecedentedly deep TE draft where great potential value can be had as late as the 3rd and 4th rounds. Not opposed to it in the 2nd again if the value is there, or in a trade back scenario, but be wary of TE's in the first.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

True. Could be argued they need a core piece on the d-line. But I think it could wait. I’d go after a target for Allen over the middle. 

We have outside speed with Foster & Brown.

We have slot guys in Beasley, McKenzie, & Zay Jones.

We need a big target over the middle. Hockenson or Fant are perfec fits for that. 

Agreed

35 minutes ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

I can't stop thinking that I want the Bills to draft Hock at the 9th spot.    I know that's high for a TE but what a fantastic offensive addition he'd be for our young QB.

An elite TE would put this offence in great shape. You won’t hear an argument from me.

• Like (+1) 1