Cole Beasley: Watch the film before bashing Josh Allen

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001022827/article/cole-beasley-watch-the-film-before-bashing-josh-allen 

Cole Beasley stays watching film. 

The ex-Dallas receiver who told critics of the CowboysWR corps last year to watch more film, did just that before signing a free-agent contract with the Buffalo Bills. Those sessions convinced him that quarterback Josh Allen is on the right path. 

Beasley said that despite the critiques of Allen -- especially on social media -- he believes the young passer has a bright future. 

"[I watched the] film. You can see it," Beasley said, via NYup.com. "It doesn't matter what people say. You can tell what a guy's about by watching him play. I've seen clips of him. I've seen him do things with his legs and the way he throws the ball. I just want to come here and help him as much as I can." 

While Allen has plenty of growing to do in the offseason -- the QB and coaching staff have admitted as much -- he showed flashes of ability that made him a first-round draft choice last season. 

Allen's biggest struggles came with accuracy and touch on short-to-intermediate passes. Those are the types of routes where Beasley excels. The slot receiver won't be very productive if Allen doesn't improve in those areas. 

"[He's] a good dude," Beasley said of Allen. "I love that [he was the first to call]. It's just the willingness to get better and work. You always can get better no matter what stage you are in your career. I could tell and hear it through the phone that he was hungry and eager to get better. He wants to do this thing the right way and turn this thing around."

One aspect of the young quarterback that does excite is his big-armed deep ball. Fellow free-agency signee and noted speedster John Brown quipped that Allen might be the only quarterback who could overthrow him. 

"I don't say that about a lot of quarterbacks, but I think he can," Brown said.

Allen's development from Year 1 to Year 2 will be the biggest indicator of success in Buffalo in 2019. The Bills' front office has done a good job thus far of buffering the quarterback this offseason, including the additions of Beasley and Brown. Allen will be given every opportunity to grow into a franchise stud. If he fails, the film will show it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Yeah, but who cares about those bashing Josh Allen?

They obviously have not watched him play very often if they think he is not an accurate quarterback and ignore the fact that he wings it (way) down the field at record rates.

Bills fans  with any brains know that we have an elite---and very accurate--quarterback.  And an intelligent, hard working one who will get better each game, learning from each snap.

Ignorance abounds by NFL analysts who rely on misguided 'common' knowledge rather than their own direct knowledge and research..

• Thank you (+1) 1

The key is to give this kid time.  We have four wr's that have proven they can get open, get separation.   Our running backs are proven and we'll be adding a nice rookie runner as well this year.  We have a very good center, and Dawk is a strong young versatile lineman. 

We need at least one more Oline stud, preferably two.  Good Olines make for a better, well rested defense and improved field position.   They also help young qb's have more time to process and react, pass better, which backs up the safeties and gets less 8 man fronts that are tough to run against.

Indy was a changed team by ONE dominant guard last year.  Changed the whole team.   

Allen's biggest struggles came with accuracy and touch on short-to-intermediate passes to lazy bums with hands of stone like Charles Clay and Kelvin Benjamin. Those are the types of routes where Beasley excels. The slot receiver won't be a bum this upcoming season

Before watching Allen play, I was firmly on the "stats dont lie" camp. 

Watching him develop, I've changed my mind. I can see the places where bad penalties, drops and an in general lack of talent killed drives when he was on a roll or killed what would have been a big play.

That is not to say that he is without flaws, but a lot of the criticism is made without watching the play.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Yeah, but who cares about those bashing Josh Allen?

They obviously have not watched him play very often if they think he is not an accurate quarterback and ignore the fact that he wings it (way) down the field at record rates.

Bills fans  with any brains know that we have an elite---and very accurate--quarterback.  And an intelligent, hard working one who will get better each game, learning from each snap.

Ignorance abounds by NFL analysts who rely on misguided 'common' knowledge rather than their own direct knowledge and research..

Yep, validation will come when we've earned it. We know what we have and we're excited about that. If we're confident, the national media attention will come.. until then it really comes off as insecure to look for the national media to give validation to a 6-10 team.

The players do their homework in the free agency process and they see a lot of what we've seen. They may like it, they may prefer some other team. Sounds like Cole's bought into that but really a free agent that makes a decision based on Sports Center is a fool.. I seriously doubt free agents think that way.

Cole clearly knows no one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BmarvB said:

Management is doing all the right things by surrounding him with people who can help him (linemen, receivers). Now it's up to the coaching staff to give him the teaching he needs to be successful

I hope Mitch Morse and Josh Allen get up to speed in calling protections. He improved somewhat over last year but one thing I want to see that can be easily improved every year is JA's pre-snap calls. If our QB coach is up to snuff we shouldn't be seeing some of those obvious safety blitz sacks JA never thought to pick up.

Mitch Morse should be key for a lot of this. A high IQ Center can really help a quarterback out, and they should be able to develop a long term chemistry you want to see like the famous C/QB pairings we've seen in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Before watching Allen play, I was firmly on the "stats dont lie" camp. 

Watching him develop, I've changed my mind. I can see the places where bad penalties, drops and an in general lack of talent killed drives when he was on a roll or killed what would have been a big play.

That is not to say that he is without flaws, but a lot of the criticism is made without watching the play.

Good post...however I would add that in the NFL, stats very much do lie.  Does not mean its always the case, but of all team sports, following the stat sheet to evaluate a player can lead to fools gold conclusions.

The problem is that no other sport is as dependent on team, so the stat sheet lack context that makes it hard to rely as a sole point of evaluation.  Don't get me wrong, there is still value in analyzing stats, but if its ever used as the core barometer then you are left vulnerable to inaccurate assessments.