Clayborn to Atlanta

11 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

In what crazy world are you a free agency winner when you let your LT and Edge walk? Even if they were overpaid, New England got worse by letting them walk. What a homer article. 

New England Spa journalism.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Isiah Wynn will be an upgrade at LT if anything like healthy. Trent Brown had 3 great games in the playoffs but he was bang average in the regular season. Flowers I think they will miss more - but this is a really good class for edge rushers and they may well be in a position to find a guy who can have an impact early. Equally as mentioned above they have Derick Rivers in the system already. That is why the Patriots can let guys walk and not miss a beat. They generally have some solutions in house already. I do think pass rush is a need for them though. Flowers has been their only consistent pressure guy over the last three seasons.

I'd worry more about their defensive interior if I were a Pats****** fan.

I think they're down to Lawrence Guy and a bunch of bottom-of-the-roster dudes at DT after losing Brown and letting Shelton walk.

But again, that plays into the strength of the 2019 draft class. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see them move up for a Dexter Lawrence or Jeffrey Simmons type in round 1. And don't count them out of making a trade for a guy like Grady Jarrett either.

58 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I'd worry more about their defensive interior if I were a Pats****** fan.

I think they're down to Lawrence Guy and a bunch of bottom-of-the-roster dudes at DT after losing Brown and letting Shelton walk.

But again, that plays into the strength of the 2019 draft class. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see them move up for a Dexter Lawrence or Jeffrey Simmons type in round 1. And don't count them out of making a trade for a guy like Grady Jarrett either.

They already traded for Michael Bennett, and their run defense is usually will with "no names" players, the QB pressure is a constant problem that they solve in imaginative ways during season

1 minute ago, poblano said:

They already traded for Michael Bennett, and their run defense is usually will with "no names" players, the QB pressure is a constant problem that they solve in imaginative ways during season

Bennett is fine for an interior option on passing downs, but make no mistake: they're going to miss Malcom Brown and Danny Shelton's snap counts from 2018.  They played 43% and 31% of their defensive snaps, respectively. Adam Butler showed flashes, but again, not as much a run defender.

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Bennett is fine for an interior option on passing downs, but make no mistake: they're going to miss Malcom Brown and Danny Shelton's snap counts from 2018.  They played 43% and 31% of their defensive snaps, respectively. Adam Butler showed flashes, but again, not as much a run defender.

Yes, but again their run defense always seems to work with plug and play players. 

3 minutes ago, poblano said:

Yes, but again their run defense always seems to work with plug and play players. 

They ranked tied for 27th in the NFL last year with 4.9 yards/carry allowed.  Actually only 2 teams had a worse run defense on a YPC basis: KC & LAR.

16 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Brow and shelton both sucked last year. Lawrence Guy was the only good interior lineman. Butler was getting better as the year progressed

Edited by Chris66

They ranked tied for 27th in the NFL last year with 4.9 yards/carry allowed.  Actually only 2 teams had a worse run defense on a YPC basis: KC & LAR.

But you said they will miss the players that take them to those stats

1 minute ago, Chris66 said:

Brow and shelton both sucked last year. Lawrence Guy was the only good interior lineman. Butler was getting better as the year progressed

1 minute ago, poblano said:

But you said they will miss the players that take them to those stats

Yes, I said that they'll miss the snaps that those guys contributed.  Brown played over 40% of the team's defensive snaps, and Shelton played 30%. Now, they brought in Pennel, who can probably take Shelton's snaps, but we aren't talking about a world-beater there...and Butler showed some ability to rush the passer, but his run D was an abomination for the most part.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes, I said that they'll miss the snaps that those guys contributed.  Brown played over 40% of the team's defensive snaps, and Shelton played 30%. Now, they brought in Pennel, who can probably take Shelton's snaps, but we aren't talking about a world-beater there...and Butler showed some ability to rush the passer, but his run D was an abomination for the most part.

My guess is that they will struggle early on and at some point around mid to late season they will find something that works.  That has been their M.O over the past few years.

1 minute ago, Magox said:

My guess is that they will struggle early on and at some point around mid to late season they will find something that works.  That has been their M.O over the past few years.

The more things change the more they stay the same

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

I'm sure that there will be some measure of that. The way to beat them is to stay ahead of their adjustments...you almost need to have one person on your staff that dedicates his entire career to Patriots-based QC.

• 4 weeks later...