Feels strange to have a FO with a specific plan

On 3/16/2019 at 1:29 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..not going to defend Whaley nor use him as the convenient "whipping boy"......we'll NEVER know the extent of his horsepower as GM and I doubt he had the full fledged, GM like authority......he was a personnel guy labeled "GM" who was more of a gopher..."here's what we want now go find 'em".......coaches, Overdorf, etc were the final decision makers....what bonafide GM would overload a club with multiple one year deals so they would be faced with 23 UFA's the following year?...not a good one IMO.......

Agree... Not only do.we have a plan but a clear understanding of The pecking order and a staff on the same page

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TBBills Fan said:

Agree... Not only do.we have a plan but a clear understanding of The pecking order and a staff on the same page

If that’s true... who did Whaley never get another shot in the NFL?  He’s working in the “island of misfit toys” known as the XFL.  Pretty sure there’s a reason for it

5 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

If that’s true... who did Whaley never get another shot in the NFL?  He’s working in the “island of misfit toys” known as the XFL.  Pretty sure there’s a reason for it

...QUITE shocking...yet ANOTHER  "White Shoes Quip"....YAWN.....go figure.........

On 3/15/2019 at 4:38 PM, oldmanfan said:

I live outside Indy now, but grew up in Tonawanda and have lived in or spent lengthy time in big cities like NYC, Chicago, Houston. And what I don't get is this idea that a city like Buffalo doesn't have what big cities have and therefore isn't as attractive a destination.

So what exactly is needed?  Professional athletes have pretty involved professional lives and in their free time they do what onther young men do.  They'll want some night life, places to eat, etc.  Well,  you can find all that in Buffalo, right?  Some nice bars, plenty of unique places to eat.  I know it's been a while since I've been back but everything I read and everything relatives tell me is that the city is revitalized.

I mean, you can only eat in one place and party at one bar at a time, right? 

I live in Northern Virginia.  Almost all the restaurants and bars here are franchises and chains.  I love going to the Buffalo area for their bars and restaurants.  Small business type places.  Buffalo is a cool place.  Don't change a thing except the Bills record.

On 3/15/2019 at 4:04 PM, Mark92 said:

I actually understood the title because...... It does feel strange.  It seems weird to think we could have a winning record next year and actually mean it.  Good times in Buffalo ?.  

I did as well. I feel strange and I also feel a sense of relief. oh sure, the real serious skeptics, believe until the wins and division titles and beyond happen, we ain't seen nothing yet.

I agree, wins are everything and lead to the promise land. I believe the direction this team seems to be going and shaping up, those wins will happen. what makes it strange is that after being mediocre for far too long, there is that sense of (relief) change, like somebody actually does know what the hell their doing...!!

building a team, right before our eyes

GO BILLS!!

On 3/15/2019 at 8:38 AM, TBBills Fan said:

To have a Front office and coaching staff that seem to be more than competent with a specific plan on how to build and develop a club for sustained success. 

Having lived through the 90s greatness and all the pitfalls we have seen since with coaches, front office personnel...it seems like the sun may be finally rising for us Bills fans!

Its nice to not be scratching my head at moves made and thinking wtf....

Sustained success is a real possibility

Go Bills

I think the previous regimes did have a plan. It was called "Let's find a quarterback". Now that a regime here has a QB, developing a team, and implementing a plan is possible.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:16 PM, BmarvB said:

They have a plan, and they're executing it the way it should be executed

This wacky plan may just end in their execution. -Figuratively speaking of course.

• Haha (+1) 1

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:05 PM, BillyWhiteShows said:

Whaley defenders will disagree

I don't disagree that this is the most coherent plan the Bills have followed in a long time. What I will say is that it is no coincidence in my mind that it coincides with the clearest organisational structure we have had in some time. A Head Coach and a General Manager joined at the hip, in total lockstep without interference from ownership and/or other senior management.

Doug Whaley had his strengths and he had his weaknesses but what he (and Buddy Nix and pretty much all of their predecessors over the past 2 decades) never had was circumstances so conducive to success. Fair play to the Pegulas - they deserve some credit for this. Their first 3 years as Bills owners were a bit of a mess but they learned their lessons they have hired serious, process driven football guys in the two key positions who are absolutely aligned in vision and then they have backed off and left them to it.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't disagree that this is the most coherent plan the Bills have followed in a long time. What I will say is that it is no coincidence in my mind that it coincides with the clearest organisational structure we have had in some time. A Head Coach and a General Manager joined at the hip, in total lockstep without interference from ownership and/or other senior management.

Doug Whaley had his strengths and he had his weaknesses but what he (and Buddy Nix and pretty much all of their predecessors over the past 2 decades) never had was circumstances so conducive to success. Fair play to the Pegulas - they deserve some credit for this. Their first 3 years as Bills owners were a bit of a mess but they learned their lessons they have hired serious, process driven football guys in the two key positions who are absolutely aligned in vision and then they have backed off and left them to it.

For a Whaley supporter this is a pretty fair take.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I live in Northern Virginia.  Almost all the restaurants and bars here are franchises and chains.  I love going to the Buffalo area for their bars and restaurants.  Small business type places.  Buffalo is a cool place.  Don't change a thing except the Bills record.

You do not seem to have a good grasp of math.  I live in Northern Virginia and while there are lot of chains which is expected in high population areas easy to penetrate with franchises but more than half of the restaurants are certainly not chains.  Almost every shopping center has at least one ethnic restaurant and almost none of them are chains.  We know at least 30 independent owner restaurants and the competition is fierce. There are plenty of independent bars, a friend of mine has owned one for over 20 year and he has lots of competition from independent bars in area.

Now if you are talking about pizza joins it does not compare to Buffalo.

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Tom Donahoe had the closest to power as current management team with Ralph choosing to step back and give him the full power, power Butler did not want.  He still did need to deal with Ralph's people in organization however. Unfortunately it went to his head IMO and then when it did not work out he went postal in defending himself which resulted in a lot of issues with fans.   This resulted in Ralph calling Marv Levy to take over as only person he could trust and someone to repair fanbase.

It all comes down to QB. It always has. We’re all hoping against hope that Allen is the One we’ve been waiting for. I can tell you it’s a welcome relief not to be worrying about that position for a change...either in free agency or the draft, or late in preseason, or early in the season (just look at the last year’s.....yikes!). Having a QB makes a lot of other things look like a “plan”.

21 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Tom Donahoe had the closest to power as current management team with Ralph choosing to step back and give him the full power, power Butler did not want.  He still did need to deal with Ralph's people in organization however. Unfortunately it went to his head IMO and then when it did not work out he went postal in defending himself which resulted in a lot of issues with fans.   This resulted in Ralph calling Marv Levy to take over as only person he could trust and someone to repair fanbase.

Donahoe still had Ralph's henchmen Littman and co around though didn't he? I just think this is clearest and cleanest command structure we have had for some time and it is no surprise to me that is leading to a more obviously coherent plan.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

You do not seem to have a good grasp of math.  I live in Northern Virginia and while there are lot of chains which is expected in high population areas easy to penetrate with franchises but more than half of the restaurants are certainly not chains.  Almost every shopping center has at least one ethnic restaurant and almost none of them are chains.  We know at least 30 independent owner restaurants and the competition is fierce. There are plenty of independent bars, a friend of mine has owned one for over 20 year and he has lots of competition from independent bars in area.

Now if you are talking about pizza joins it does not compare to Buffalo.

How about rattling off some of your favorite non Asian places?  I'm over at Tysons surrounded by chains.