Feels strange to have a FO with a specific plan

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Donahoe still had Ralph's henchmen Littman and co around though didn't he? I just think this is clearest and cleanest command structure we have had for some time and it is no surprise to me that is leading to a more obviously coherent plan.

Yes as I said "Ralph's people in organization".  Jim Overdorf, one who I consider major cause of cap and contract issues, is still employed although Beane supposedly has ability to consult with him rather than him writing and approving contracts as was under Whiley.

Just now, DCbillsfan said:

How about rattling off some of your favorite non Asian places?  I'm over at Tysons surrounded by chains.

Will send PM.  My wife is Chinese and most of the women in her employee work it for benefits because they or their family own restaurants.

They always have a plan.......not all plans are as good as others and not all good plans work out.  Ultimately this whole things boils down to Josh Allen developing as a passer or not.  If not, it will just be another crew who got 2-5 years and failed.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Donahoe still had Ralph's henchmen Littman and co around though didn't he? I just think this is clearest and cleanest command structure we have had for some time and it is no surprise to me that is leading to a more obviously coherent plan.

You got that right. I think we finally have the right people at the top to build this team into a consistent contender again once the evil empire finally crumbles.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

However it has taken the Pegula's a few years to finally get their finger on the pulse they were looking for from day 1, but yes I do believe we have arrived. It wil be weird seeing a GM and coach tandem together in year 4

On 3/16/2019 at 3:43 PM, LabattBlue said:

Not to rain on what "appears" to be a somewhat positive off-season so far, but at this point "the plan" means nothing until we see results on the field.

It's hasn't cumulatively "rained" boatloads of quality FA's like this over at OBD to address glaring needs in one offseason, in...I don't even know how long, so forgive me for being more optimistic that usual during the off-season. That said, I 100% agree that we need to translate this into on field results...it's just that for the first time in a long time, I have more confidence in the way that this front office goes about its business. Am totally trusting the process right now. 

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Every regime had a plan.  The problem was the qb’s were major failures. If Josh Allen flops all of this is pry for nothing.

I don't disagree with you--but Allen is well on his way to living up to the hype, imho. Just wish the season was getting ready to start next week. 

5 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I don't disagree with you--but Allen is well on his way to living up to the hype, imho. Just wish the season was getting ready to start next week. 

Can't wait to see if he's made that 'leap.' If he improves like Trubisky from Year 1 to Year 2 we're a playoff team. If it's more than that then watch out.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Every regime had a plan.  The problem was the qb’s were major failures. If Josh Allen flops all of this is pry for nothing.

Yep. It is always easier to call the present a success and the past a failure (when it was a failure). We could just as easily be looking back 5 years from now with a new GM and Coach saying the exact same thing. 

I am going to look forward to seeing how this plays out. The offense does still lack star power. Allen cannot carry the team with his legs etc like last season. We have seen that with every young athletic QB that their legs can help in the early years but not long. McCoy must rebound off a awful season and the OL will need to gel together fast. The bet is a group of decent WR is better than a star WR is yet to be seen. All in all - more experienced Allen, better OL, WR - should be better, TE and RB is a question = better offense. Good enough to get to 7-9 wins is my bet. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Can't wait to see if he's made that 'leap.' If he improves like Trubisky from Year 1 to Year 2 we're a playoff team. If it's more than that then watch out.

Beane has literally bent over backwards to dole out enough of KTP’s money to shore up Allen’s supporting cast so that exactly this can happen. It’s all on the young pup’s shoulders (and legs) now. One of the reasons I’m already sold though, is that Allen didn’t fold up like a cheap suit or start the blame game/deflection theme when few of us could’ve blamed him considering what he was working with, and behind, all year. That kind of survival of baptism by fire in year one has to count for something now, no?

5 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Yep. It is always easier to call the present a success and the past a failure (when it was a failure). We could just as easily be looking back 5 years from now with a new GM and Coach saying the exact same thing. 

I am going to look forward to seeing how this plays out. The offense does still lack star power. Allen cannot carry the team with his legs etc like last season. We have seen that with every young athletic QB that their legs can help in the early years but not long. McCoy must rebound off a awful season and the OL will need to gel together fast. The bet is a group of decent WR is better than a star WR is yet to be seen. All in all - more experienced Allen, better OL, WR - should be better, TE and RB is a question = better offense. Good enough to get to 7-9 wins is my bet. 

How many times during the Patsies run have they had a true “star” WR headlining the group outside of a back end Randy Moss? Also, look at the Lions with Megatron who never busted loose as 2 quick examples of this theorem in action. Don’t get me wrong, I’d always love to have a bit of star power where I can get it, but I’m certainly not sold on it being a prerequisite for long term

success, imho. Having not one but multiple guys who can get open and have good hands/speed to boot, and thus can’t all be double covered from the LOS? Yes please! 

It's all about quality drafting and getting that qb.  If we have another draft or two like we have the past two years look out man. If Allen is the guy we are on our way to some real longterm success.  Great defense and a nice offense will result in wins. 

9 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

How many times during the Patsies run have they had a true “star” WR headlining the group outside of a back end Randy Moss? Also, look at the Lions with Megatron who never busted loose as 2 quick examples of this theorem in action. Don’t get me wrong, I’d always love to have a bit of star power where I can get it, but I’m certainly not sold on it being a prerequisite for long term success, imho. Having not one but multiple guys who can get open and have good hands/speed to boot, and thus can’t all be double covered from the LOS? Yes please! 

Well having Tom Brady doesnt hurt. Obviously its not all or nothing. But having a star WR helps a QB big time. No question - you have a guy that can bail you out and make everything easier. You can still be successful without that but the margin of error is impacted. And Stafford and Megatron - 2011, 2012 and were ridiculous...

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

TD also had the worst owner in the NFL micro-managing his every move. That would give anyone a bad attitude. 

So Whaley has no plan?  TD didn’t?  It’s real easy to look back now and say it didn’t work out but there were points where the Bills looked like they were headed the right.  

And I realize that the national media said something nice about Beane so we like them now, but let’s see how this plays out before we anoint the guy.  

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't disagree that this is the most coherent plan the Bills have followed in a long time. What I will say is that it is no coincidence in my mind that it coincides with the clearest organisational structure we have had in some time. A Head Coach and a General Manager joined at the hip, in total lockstep without interference from ownership and/or other senior management.

Doug Whaley had his strengths and he had his weaknesses but what he (and Buddy Nix and pretty much all of their predecessors over the past 2 decades) never had was circumstances so conducive to success. Fair play to the Pegulas - they deserve some credit for this. Their first 3 years as Bills owners were a bit of a mess but they learned their lessons they have hired serious, process driven football guys in the two key positions who are absolutely aligned in vision and then they have backed off and left them to it.

Part of my issue with the McBeane regime is that how does Beane ever get the final say over McDermott? 

• Like (+1) 1

I like the moves that the Bills have made this offseason. I think last years draft class was a success. If the Bills can get the same production our of this years draft class, I think they are building a solid team. What I also like is that the Bills are signing guys to contracts that are not going to put them in cap trouble 3 or 4 yrs down the road. 

35 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Part of my issue with the McBeane regime is that how does Beane ever get the final say over McDermott? 

That worried me at the start too.... but I think what has become clear is with this pair lock-step really does mean lock-step. They are of the same mind.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

That worried me at the start too.... but I think what has become clear is with this pair lock-step really does mean lock-step. They are of the same mind.

There's some decent insight here, as to how the hiring process went down and who has say in what ....

Brandon Beane Discusses How He Was Hired

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

What do you think the personnel department thinks about never-done-much coaches like Bobby Johnson being given such significant say/influence in UFA personnel decisions?

Now hopefully it's more a case of exhaustive research from scouts yielding lists that just happen to have so many guys that formerly played with Bills coaches...........but that seems less likely than the team sorta' throwing ***** at the wall based on old intel and seeing what sticks.    

In any failed Bills regime there is usually a clear head scratcher............like Marv DECLARING that he was drafting for need.........or Rex drafting Shaq and Ragnuts specifically because they were ready to start at positions of need.......or to a lesser extent of course, Ralph insisting on making the first draft pick himself every year(:flirt:)............ya' know.....things that look critically flawed from the start.

I know the argument.........who would know them better than former coaches?..........the answer to which is hopefully a good, objective scouting staff.

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What do you think the personnel department thinks about never-done-much coaches like Bobby Johnson being given such significant say/influence in UFA personnel decisions?

I suspect Beane is on board with the influence that McDermott gives to his position coaches. Whether everyone below Beane in the FO is would be a different question. But I absolutely believe Beane and McDermott are of one mind when it comes to building this thing.