Feels strange to have a FO with a specific plan

I think we really just feel that way b/c most of us think Josh had a good enough rookie season and may have a future. Some decent moves this offseason but honestly (I know it's crazy to say it) Doug had some decent moves as well ... we just never really liked the QB situation. 

Edited by dayman

23 hours ago, blacklabel said:

It's good stuff. It's nice to hear from players how respected and taken care of they feel being on this team. Beane said it yesterday during the presser, it's a business first but that doesn't mean business has to be conducted in a cold manner. Even if they have to cut a guy, it sounds like both Beane and McDermott have some parting words for the guys on their way out. It's good not to burn bridges like that and those type of things get talked about in league circles. "Yeah, Buffalo may not have a lot to do but that franchise will really take care of you and the fans will love you." 

And I had a thought yesterday about this whole "Buffalo is an undesirable FA destination" stuff. Yeah, it's true, there isn't a crazy amount of things to do up here and it's a smaller city but that's what makes the Bills so special to us. There isn't a whole lot here BUT the Bills, so that makes them the "it" thing of the region. No other teams to draw attention away (well, Sabres but this season...yeesh) so the focus is all on them. You got kids waiting at the airport with a bucket of wings to welcome these guys. How cool is that? So yeah, you can go to cities where the nightlife is better, the weather is better, more stuff to do, etc. but you come to Buffalo and you're gonna be celebrated by one of the best fanbases in sports. I love that a lot of players that play here talk about how New Era Stadium is one of the only places in the NFL that feels like a college atmosphere. And I was also glad to see Beane say he was straight up pissed off at the crap being slung around about this area. Good to see him just take a stand instead of dance around the topic and give a stock answer.

This dude/dudette is quickly becoming one of my favorite posters around here. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

To have a Front office and coaching staff that seem to be more than competent with a specific plan on how to build and develop a club for sustained success. 

Having lived through the 90s greatness and all the pitfalls we have seen since with coaches, front office personnel...it seems like the sun may be finally rising for us Bills fans!

Its nice to not be scratching my head at moves made and thinking wtf....

Sustained success is a real possibility

Go Bills

I think there headed in the right direction . But the real work begins with these 2 upcoming drafts . We need Game changers on offense and defense.  It's easy to find complementary pieces and we have done a great job doing this but we need those difference makers if we are to become contenders. Right now we got 3 guys that need to grow into those roles Allen,  Edmunds and Tre White. 

....as I posted elsewhere and according to what I've read, McBeane's "Gang of 17+" staff is significantly comprised of many VP of Player Personnel &Director of Pro Player Personnel types from around the league.....I'd bet the payroll (including McBeane) is north of $5 mil., ALL out of Pegula's check book.....pretty fortunate to have owners willing to spend like that for a top notch staff...this is their 2nd draft together with McDermott (3rd).......I'd venture this is the best gang in the last decade+ versus the "F Troop" misfits who ran the show for 17 years since the Polian.....and I'd even go out on a limb to say potentially better than the Polian era.....so stay tuned..........

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/15/2019 at 11:52 AM, blacklabel said:

It's good stuff. It's nice to hear from players how respected and taken care of they feel being on this team. Beane said it yesterday during the presser, it's a business first but that doesn't mean business has to be conducted in a cold manner. Even if they have to cut a guy, it sounds like both Beane and McDermott have some parting words for the guys on their way out. It's good not to burn bridges like that and those type of things get talked about in league circles. "Yeah, Buffalo may not have a lot to do but that franchise will really take care of you and the fans will love you." 

And I had a thought yesterday about this whole "Buffalo is an undesirable FA destination" stuff. Yeah, it's true, there isn't a crazy amount of things to do up here and it's a smaller city but that's what makes the Bills so special to us. There isn't a whole lot here BUT the Bills, so that makes them the "it" thing of the region. No other teams to draw attention away (well, Sabres but this season...yeesh) so the focus is all on them. You got kids waiting at the airport with a bucket of wings to welcome these guys. How cool is that? So yeah, you can go to cities where the nightlife is better, the weather is better, more stuff to do, etc. but you come to Buffalo and you're gonna be celebrated by one of the best fanbases in sports. I love that a lot of players that play here talk about how New Era Stadium is one of the only places in the NFL that feels like a college atmosphere. And I was also glad to see Beane say he was straight up pissed off at the crap being slung around about this area. Good to see him just take a stand instead of dance around the topic and give a stock answer.

I just never understood the whole "there isn't a lot to do" narrative that people keep talking about. I mean there is constantly something going on in this area no matter what time of year, and it seems like more and more things are being added every year.

Granted we might not have as many places to go as bigger cities but there is no shortage here either...all 4 seasons...skiing, sledding, hiking, kayaking, canoeing, white water rapids, fishing, etc...

It's awesome to see the FO having a plan

But it's WAY better watching them execute it, almost to absolute perfection. That's the biggest thing. I feel like the FO always "has a plan" but execution is a different story.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Whaley defenders will disagree

..not going to defend Whaley nor use him as the convenient "whipping boy"......we'll NEVER know the extent of his horsepower as GM and I doubt he had the full fledged, GM like authority......he was a personnel guy labeled "GM" who was more of a gopher..."here's what we want now go find 'em".......coaches, Overdorf, etc were the final decision makers....what bonafide GM would overload a club with multiple one year deals so they would be faced with 23 UFA's the following year?...not a good one IMO.......

On 3/15/2019 at 10:38 AM, TBBills Fan said:

To have a Front office and coaching staff that seem to be more than competent with a specific plan on how to build and develop a club for sustained success. 

Having lived through the 90s greatness and all the pitfalls we have seen since with coaches, front office personnel...it seems like the sun may be finally rising for us Bills fans!

Its nice to not be scratching my head at moves made and thinking wtf....

Sustained success is a real possibility

Go Bills

To be fair, I think Whaley had little control over coaches and by proxy over the long term plan. He was just stocking the shelves. Typically the moves made sense in that context.

we still have to see if the plan works. 

25 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I just never understood the whole "there isn't a lot to do" narrative that people keep talking about. I mean there is constantly something going on in this area no matter what time of year, and it seems like more and more things are being added every year.

Granted we might not have as many places to go as bigger cities but there is no shortage here either...all 4 seasons...skiing, sledding, hiking, kayaking, canoeing, white water rapids, fishing, etc...

I suspect some 22 year olds from Texas that finally are realizing their dreams with a 6-7 figure salary may be less excited about sledding than you are 

I think the important part is they share the same plan as the coaching staff.

37 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Whaley defenders will disagree

No I think Whaley would have been better than he was if he was able to pick his own staff.  However I believe this is probably the best FO we have ever had.  Remember that the Coach had heavy input if he didnt hand pick the GM.  This is a very important detail.  I dont think Whaleys FO would have been this good either way.

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

To be fair, I think Whaley had little control over coaches and by proxy over the long term plan. He was just stocking the shelves. Typically the moves made sense in that context.

we still have to see if the plan works. 

I suspect some 22 year olds from Texas that finally are realizing their dreams with a 6-7 figure salary may be less excited about sledding than you are 

Maybe but that doesn't mean therr isn't anything to do, it just means you are shut off to it and only interested in experiencing half of what there is to offer

6 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..not going to defend Whaley nor use him as the convenient "whipping boy"......we'll NEVER know the extent of his horsepower as GM and I doubt he had the full fledged, GM like authority......he was a personnel guy labeled "GM" who was more of a gopher..."here's what we want now go find 'em".......coaches, Overdorf, etc were the final decision makers....what bonafide GM would overload a club with multiple one year deals so they would be faced with 23 UFA's the following year?...not a good one IMO.......

This is one of the great fallacies in Bills history.  People say “Whaley didn’t get to pick his coaches.”  That’s probably a good thing.  His rumored choice to replace Doug Marrone was Hugh Jackson, quite possibly one of the most unsuccessful coaches of all time.

Also, what did Whaley do to really deserve the right to hire his head coach in 2015?  He should have lost his job in 2015 over the Doug Marrone situation.  Yet for some reason the Pegulas kept him and Russ.  Still, if you are an owner who contemplates firing an employee the last thing you are going to do is to empower him to make one of the most important decisions for your team.  

Also look at the front staff that hired under Whaley:

Jim Monos:  out of the NFL.  I believe I read he was in sales.  Now working for the collegiate bowl 

Kelvin Fisher: went back to Pittsburgh as a scout.  

Not exactly the most stellar group of leaders in the football department.  Now compare the group he put together vs Beane’s:

Brian Gaine (current Texans GM)

Malik Boyd (contender for a future GM spot)

Dan Morgan (contender for a future GM spot)

Joe Schoen (former director of pro personnel)

Bottom line....Beane has a vision and some idea how to carry out that plan.  Whaley was clueless.   I’ll never understand the support he gets from some Bills fans

7 hours ago, NoSaint said:

The same people hailing McBeane's plan were loving the Shaq and Ragnuts picks because they were off-the-bus-starters!

It made so much sense!

Finally a plan!:flirt:

The memories of some people on TSW are sofa king short.

EVERYONE has a plan.........

On 3/16/2019 at 1:12 PM, matter2003 said:

Not enough to do with for players with lots of dollars and bling to show off.