Buffalo's Draw for Free Agents

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Did Beasley really choose us over NE?

Playing behind Edelman for less money on a team who's QB might be playing his last season?  Yes, he did pick us over them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jletha said:

Winning will change the culture. We still were spurned by AB and the poll came out very recently that had us as the least favorable destination. So while I am happy with the FA class we brought in and I think the whole "Nobody wants to go to Buffalo" is overblown I wouldnt say we have removed the stigma. We are still a 6 win team and our QB, while exciting, is raw and far from a guarantee. But ultimately winning will remove any stench.

There isnt much difference between Green Bay, Buffalo, Cleveland Green Bay has never had the same stigma as the other two because theyve been consistent winner. Cleveland was coming off a run of 1-31 a year ago, now theyre a desirable destination.

We have to win. If we go 6-10 again and Josh doesnt improve then we will be back to laughing stocks with a bad QB situation.

I am aware. In these types of situations I operate under the concept that there are three sides to every story: My side, their side and then the truth.

Nobody really knows what went down between us and AB but Id guess that a part of it was that AB didnt want to come here. And several reports confirm that. Of course Beane and AB wont say that directly though.

And you just assume which side it the truth.  Here's another just as likely take infact I'd argue more likely.  Buffalo didn't want to re-do his contract or at least not anywhere to the level of money the Raiders gave him.  Then could say Beane spurned AB.

Beasley said he had offers, or atleast interest from Buffalo, New England, and the Cowboys. I dont recall any details of the other offers, but the Cowboys seem to have been already out in his opinion as he had already commented this last year about being frustrated with his role in their offence. With NE, all I had heard was they were interested, but no details on if an offer was made and for what.

From what I can tell of him, he was looking for somewhere that he can expand his role and get more touches, something that wasnt going to happen in Dallas, and probably not in NE with Edelman already there.

3 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

It’s nice hear players say they chose Buffalo over this or that that team but It’s still about the money. Id imagine Buffalo was offering the most money for each of those guys signed.  

Most money didnt matter to Brown last year.

Winning will change the culture. We still were spurned by AB and the poll came out very recently that had us as the least favorable destination. So while I am happy with the FA class we brought in and I think the whole "Nobody wants to go to Buffalo" is overblown I wouldnt say we have removed the stigma. We are still a 6 win team and our QB, while exciting, is raw and far from a guarantee. But ultimately winning will remove any stench.

There isnt much difference between Green Bay, Buffalo, Cleveland Green Bay has never had the same stigma as the other two because theyve been consistent winner. Cleveland was coming off a run of 1-31 a year ago, now theyre a desirable destination.

We have to win. If we go 6-10 again and Josh doesnt improve then we will be back to laughing stocks with a bad QB situation.

Cole Beasley would like you to watch the tape.?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, umang_a_desai said:

I think the front office and culture (in addition to the fact that we finally have identified a franchise quarterback) that have been built in Buffalo has had a great influence in drawing free agents this year... Case in point Beasley choosing Buffalo over NE and Dallas. What do you think fellow Bills fans. Has the FO successfully changed the way Buffalo as a city and team are viewed around the league and especially in the eyes of free agents?

Yes they have. It’s called NINETY MILLION DOLLARS IN CAP SPACE.

presto chango.... 

3 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Most money didnt matter to Brown last year.

Cole Beasley would like you to watch the tape.?

Great response by him.  He didn’t hesitate with that answer not for a microsecond. 

• Like (+1) 1

I suggest this Fairborn article on the athletic:

https://theathletic.com/870418/2019/03/15/it-takes-a-village-behind-the-scenes-of-bills-free-agency-with-brandon-beane/

The results showed when the negotiating window opened at noon on Monday, the time when the chaos reaches its peak in free agency. Before that, Beane had already divided the targets among the staff based on who had the best relationship with a particular player’s agent. For one agent, it may be executive Jim Overdorf or Beane himself, but it could be a pro scout who knows someone well from a previous job. Nobody is left out of the mix, and Beane tries to stay off the phone as much as possible so he is free to roam from room to room or handle calls that come in on potential trades.

The Bills’ staff is divided up into different offices so that a dozen people aren’t shouting with agents on the phone at once. Schoen and Morgan are in the draft room with Boyd. Overdorf and Kevin Meganck, who are the lead negotiators and salary cap managers, are in their respective offices hammering out contract details. When Beane and the staff set the free agency board, they also put a price line on each player.

“That’s so we knew when to bail,” Beane said. “You do have to know when to bail because you don’t want to miss the next guy. It’s a fine line. You’re also trying to have that backup plan.

“I think overall, we hit a lot of our targets,” Beane said. “There’s some we didn’t hit. People outbid us or wanted to go there for a fit or a coach. I know this: We didn’t lose out because we’re Buffalo. That’s such a crock.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

But there also comes a point when you trust the culture to absorb the occasional exception, Beane explained, depending on the situation and the price tag.

“You can’t have a lot of that, but if you have a strong culture you can,” Beane said. “I’m not going to say whether ours is or not. I really like our culture. It’s not perfect, but I think it’s heading in the right direction and much stronger than when we got here. We’re not looking for all choir boys here. We’re looking for team guys, guys that do care about the team. Sometimes guys are going to be a little outspoken. That doesn’t mean they’re not a team guy. Some guys we’re going to bring in here we think are about team, and if we find out they’re not and they’re not our kind of guy, you’ll see them at some point work their way out of here. We’re not going to bat 1.000.

9 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yes they have. It’s called NINETY MILLION DOLLARS IN CAP SPACE.

presto chango.... 

1. Cap room

2. Some promise at QB

Everything else is a distant consideration unless you are a guy like Kevin Johnson who is on his last chance...........one stretch of missed games from the AAF.