A trade down is now off the table.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

With so many FA signings I doubt that trading down in round one is an option (unless it's combined with later trade ups).  

However, say hello to trading up if McBeane see a player that they want.

They can sit tight and get the 3rd best edge rusher, 2nd-3rd best DT, over draft a TE or they can go get their guy.  They will go get their guy.

I think the whole theme of this FO is: Nothing is off the table. Shocking that’s not obvious to everyone. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nothing is off the table. Moreover, Beane seems like he is trying to move that pick. Not straight away, but for a player and then swap 1sts with the other team.

that said I prefer they just stay at 9 unless they are getting some elite, proven talent like Clowney, Julio etc. in the swap. I just think they have done a nice job with filling holes in a strategic way in FA with solid vets at starter and depth spots and now need to draft some elite young talent as high as possible . Trading down adds quantity but lessens the chance of that. 

I am sure Beane would like to make a trade like that, but what makes you think he’s trying to get something done?

This team has signed 10 FAs. They have 10 draft picks. Do you really believe that they want more picks? More picks equals more roster turnover. Think people.

Just now, BarleyNY said:

I am sure Beane would like to make a trade like that, but what makes you think he’s trying to get something done?

Because it fits the narrative. Trading out first for a proven commodity equals a trade up.

With so many FA signings I doubt that trading down in round one is an option (unless it's combined with later trade ups).  

They can sit tight and get the 3rd best edge rusher, 2nd-3rd best DT, over draft a TE or they can go get their guy.  They will go get their guy.

There's almost no legitimate reason to NOT trade back in the NFL Draft... it's just too rewarding! The only thing that trumps trading down is your guy being there, the guy you've coveted since day 1, actually being there ?

14 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

The draft is a fluid process and ALL options are on the table.

Exactly! 

Edited by Scorp83
Typo

Whether they trade down or not, I still have a feeling we will trade back up into the bottom of the first or top of the second.  Beane seems to like to use his draft capital to target specific players and move up to get them if he doesn't think they will drop to our pick.

• Like (+1) 1

The roster is never full - if you can add a better player then you let the worst guy go. Example: if they draft an edge rusher/DE instead of Hughes, Lawson, Murphy and maybe Yarborough, Eddie's gone and draft pick sticks. Positional upgrade.

Nothing's off the table. I also like the idea of trading down and getting picks in future drafts. Conventional thought is that a 2020 2nd round pick is worth a 2019 3rd. If #9 rolls around and there's 8 players they really like then trade down as far as 16 and pick up a future asset. Maybe you get a 2020 2nd and a 2019 3rd. Nothing wrong with that. New England has done that for years that's how they always seem to have 10-12 picks (plus they get compensatory picks a lot). 

I know the draft is still a couple months away, so it's a little silly to try to guess what Beane is thinking.  I think common sense dictates that he'll either stay put at 9, trade up or trade down.  Trading up might get us more picks later in the draft, so I think that's what he'll end up doing.

25 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

This team has signed 10 FAs. They have 10 draft picks. Do you really believe that they want more picks? More picks equals more roster turnover. Think people.

Because it fits the narrative. Trading out first for a proven commodity equals a trade up.

Taking a difference maker at 9 fits the narrative too though.  Just was wondering if Yolo knew more than that. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

We don’t need anymore 5th-7th Round Picks, but I guarantee you Beane would think about moving back if netted him a later 1st and an extra 2nd/3rd. 

I disagree.  All this means is that the Bills may sign less UDFA in the days after the draft.  Who would you rather have in camp...

5th and 6th rounders or UDFA’s?

I also think they could trade down to trade up like in 2017. (Yeah I know it was Whaley, but it really wasn't). They moved down for Tre White and then got themselves 2 second round picks in Dion and Zay. They did not pick again until the 5th where they had two picks and once in the sixth. So six picks overall. Last year they wound up trading up a couple of times to get Josh and Edmunds. Then they had no second rounder and didn't pick again until the end of the third. They had 8 picks, 1 of whom (Proehl) they had to cut and 1 (Ray Ray) who did absolutely nothing and probably gets cut this year. The there was Neal and Teller, who are both development pieces. And ofcourse 2 UDFAs who made a huge impact in Foster and Wallace. Now the team is so much better, and there is no chance ten draft picks make this team. I think Beane understands that he can package assets to get the picks that he wants. 

So I think we could see a big trade down, then a trade up. Ideally, in this draft, you want to get up for 1 of the three elite players, or you want to find a way to pick 3 guys in the top 40 or so. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

2 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

What kind of dumb statement is this? If what a team offers them to trade down is more valuable than whats available at 9 in their mind they would still do it.

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...EXACTLY......McBeane now has more options and trading down for an extra 2nd is STILL one of them IMO..............

It's actually a great option if there is a team that wants to move up.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Ever check out Funk N Waffles in Syracuse? So good. 

https://www.funknwaffles.com/

That place looks awesome! Is this a franchise? 

I’m really bummed ihop is closing so many places. Every time I go, there’s at least an hour wait. So the demand is still very high.

I don’t get it.

If I were Brandon Beane, I'd be shopping number 9 for a lower first rounder this year and a first rounder next year. (try to get a 2 for 1 somehow) - the opposite of what the Bills did for Sammy Watkins.  That way, let's say the Josh Allen experiment goes awry and the kid goes off the rails in year 2 -  he has 2 first round picks next year (much like last year when he landed Edmunds and Allen).