A trade down is now off the table.

If this were the case, you'd never see the Patriots trading down. Which we often do - even after they win a Super Bowl with the roster they have.

The best teams often cut good players. Sometimes even draft picks or free agents from that very year. And it's a good thing. It means they had good competition/depth across the board and were able to weed out the very best fits for their team.

This is a luxury we're not used to around here. As a matter of fact, we're generally one of the teams going after the good cut players. So the idea of having an abundance of players seems wasteful to some. But if we were to have too many free agents and Draft Picks - that's a very good thing come Training Camp.

So, no, it's never off the table. Especially when you consider we may want to pick up picks in later years. Or may need to recoup a pick/picks that may be traded away for a player in the coming weeks.

2 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

With so many FA signings I doubt that trading down in round one is an option (unless it's combined with later trade ups).  

However, say hello to trading up if McBeane see a player that they want.

They can sit tight and get the 3rd best edge rusher, 2nd-3rd best DT, over draft a TE or they can go get their guy.  They will go get their guy.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

With so many FA signings I doubt that trading down in round one is an option (unless it's combined with later trade ups).  

However, say hello to trading up if McBeane see a player that they want.

They can sit tight and get the 3rd best edge rusher, 2nd-3rd best DT, over draft a TE or they can go get their guy.  They will go get their guy.

Are you actually complaining about the quality of talent that will be on the board?  LOL.  

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Imo there are 3 positions where the Bills are focused on drafting high OR making a trade to build their young core. So far they have drafted CB, QB, MLB, LT. They are going to go pass rusher, 3 tech, WR next. From all the rumors I think they do want a #1 WR though I’m far from convinced they will do that at 9 because I just don’t think any of the WRs in this draft are top 10 players overall this year. I think they want an established guy first but could take one in the 2nd if the right one is sitting there. They are also heavy after a pass rusher and 3 tech is a very important part of McD’s Defense. I think at 9 they go BPA on DL. 

If a certain elite level player falls due to QBs, unlikely but possible, such as Bosa, Allen or Williams - Beane has the stones to go get him and will swing imo. I agree the only way I see us moving down from #9 is a pick swap for a marquee player or based on other signings/trades that makes BPA at that point sensible to slide down a few slots

12 minutes ago, Billzfan23 said:

If I were Brandon Beane, I'd be shopping number 9 for a lower first rounder this year and a first rounder next year. (try to get a 2 for 1 somehow) - the opposite of what the Bills did for Sammy Watkins.  That way, let's say the Josh Allen experiment goes awry and the kid goes off the rails in year 2 -  he has 2 first round picks next year (much like last year when he landed Edmunds and Allen).

Really? Josh endures a sophomore slump and we kick him to the curb? What exactly have you seen from him to even suggest he wouldn’t be worth a 3rd year??

44 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Ever check out Funk N Waffles in Syracuse? So good. 

https://www.funknwaffles.com/

38 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

That place looks awesome! Is this a franchise? 

I’m really bummed ihop is closing so many places. Every time I go, there’s at least an hour wait. So the demand is still very high.

I don’t get it.

A few years back (5-6), I saw this place on Man Vs. Food.  Our local high school football team was playing in the Dome for the state championship (they won), so we went out to watch the game.  Going to Funk-n-Waffles was on my list of things to do.  We went ... super cool atmosphere .... I was gonna get the waffles they make out of stuffing and serve with turkey and gravy.  When we went down/inside, my son didn't want to eat there.  We went to Chipotle instead.

Luckily, his bruises didn't last long.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think trading is a possibility.  Say LB White is available.  The Steelers NEED an ILB.  They would likely swap 1st and give us a 2nd or 3rd.  That'd be hard to pass-up, esp. if we think one of the Iowa TE's is available at 20, and get an Edge before the draft. 

ON THE OTHER HAND:

Say something crazy happens like Bosa, Williams, or Allen is available at say 4.  I could see a trade-up.  The Raiders are crazy?  Perhaps Zay Jones and our 1st to trade up. 

Most likely: we stay where we are and choose between White and Oliver.  A great problem to have, IMO!   Then trade back into the first and grab an OT. 

21 minutes ago, Billzfan23 said:

If I were Brandon Beane, I'd be shopping number 9 for a lower first rounder this year and a first rounder next year. (try to get a 2 for 1 somehow) - the opposite of what the Bills did for Sammy Watkins.  That way, let's say the Josh Allen experiment goes awry and the kid goes off the rails in year 2 -  he has 2 first round picks next year (much like last year when he landed Edmunds and Allen).

There is no Josh Allen experiment.  Hes a bonified QB.

22 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If this were the case, you'd never see the Patriots trading down. Which we often do - even after they win a Super Bowl with the roster they have.

The best teams often cut good players. Sometimes even draft picks or free agents from that very year. And it's a good thing. It means they had good competition/depth across the board and were able to weed out the very best fits for their team.

This is a luxury we're not used to around here. As a matter of fact, we're generally one of the teams going after the good cut players. So the idea of having an abundance of players seems wasteful to some. But if we were to have too many free agents and Draft Picks - that's a very good thing come Training Camp.

So, no, it's never off the table. Especially when you consider we may want to pick up picks in later years. Or may need to recoup a pick/picks that may be traded away for a player in the coming weeks.

How often does NE has a top 10 pick

The most likely reason there won't be a trade down is because by #9 the guys that the trade up people are speculating the Bills will trade down to a team that wants them will have already been traded up for.  Anyone who really wants their guy at QB and are picking below us will be trying to jump up earlier than 9th.  The main reason: there are at least 5 teams ahead of us set at QB and the QB hungry teams won't be waiting until pick 9 to make their move.  It's too bad the draft isn't in NYC, because I'd love to see the Giants fans reactions when they don't pick a QB at 6.  They'll sit back and wait for their QB at 17-Daniel Jones.  

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

This year no massive holes. Not unless someone like Bosa falls to sixth or seventh or something wild like that.

I'd argue our pass rush has been below average to bad for the last two seasons now. If someone told me the lack of pass rush was a massive hole I wouldn't argue with that. Whether that means going after an elite pass rushing DE or DT, doesn't matter to me but we should be looking for someone that can create that pressure consistently. Like the OP, I feel a trade up is a more likely than a trade back. But you never know. 

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

Saying anything is off the table would be a mistake with this GM, he is just as likely to trade down as he is to trade up. 

from what I get on WGR - everything is on the table. They try to fill most holes to go after true BPA throughout the whole draft. If draft is thin in an area, they go hard after FA to not get stuck