What is fair trade value for Clowney?

It is usually a bad idea to give up significant draft compensation and cap space for a player (of course there are exceptions like the Mack trade which work out for the team trading for the big name player.) But I would imagine that the Texans are probably going to want significant compensation and Clowney is going to want an extension or wind up a pricy rental. I think it would take the Bills 2ndand 4thround picks or a 2ndplus a swap of first round picks. Which isn’t super steep like the Odell trade but hardly a buy low situation either. 

I wouldn’t want Clowney unless the draft compensation was limited to a 3rdplus a mid-rounder. Cap wise the team has about 10-20 million to play with after you factor in rookie contracts and emergency money. There is also some fat they can cut on the roster like Ivory, DiMarco, and Vlad who could free up about 5 million dollars in space if needed. So the cap in this situation shouldn’t be an issue to make another significant trade/signing. 

I think it wouldn’t be in the Bills best interest to pull off such a trade for Clowney. I do like Clowney and I think in a 4-3 he could be an absolute beast. But I also think he is injury prone and can be a bit volatile personality wise. I think getting Ziggy on a one year deal would be a nice cherry on top of a good free agency period (I also wouldn’t mind seeing them sign EJ Gaines on the cheap too) it would add one needed piece to the defense and make the draft come from an even stronger position of strength. 

10 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

NFL's quick release offense it going to make it harder and harder to justify paying top money for pass rushers IMO.  

Perhpas so. It's why INTERIOR rushers are starting to be just as important. Aaron Donald is arguably worth more in terms of what he brings to a team than any edge rusher would be.

• Like (+1) 2

Having Clowney in a rotation and drafting Oliver at DT would fix the pass rush instantly. So many different ways the FO could go, it’s exciting to be relevant again.

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Perhpas so. It's why INTERIOR rushers are starting to be just as important. Aaron Donald is arguably worth more in terms of what he brings to a team than any edge rusher would be.

QB’s like Brees, Brady and Rivers all like to step up into a clean pocket to make accurate passes. They really don’t like DT’s like Donald. It’s why the Saints and Patriots had all pro interior O-Line man back in their hay day.

• Like (+1) 1

Im not very high on trading for Clowney.  Will he better than what we have, sure.  But at what cost is the issue.  Plus, I don't think there is any truth to our interest, I mean just some twitter rumor that has shown no legs so far. 

Its bad enough he is going to likely get a contract thats inflated above what his on field play has been.  We have room, so I can live with that.  But, to over pay him and also send assets back, thats when I get uncomfortable with a trade for him.  

The only thing I would consider is a swap of first round picks.  If we have to do that and also send another decent pick or better like a 3rd or something, then I hope we pass. 

Clowney is a good player, but he is also not so good we can't find a similar guy some other way (FA, draft, etc).  So the idea of a big contract and losing valuable assets makes me not to keen on going after him.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im not very high on trading for Clowney.  Will he better than what we have, sure.  But at what cost is the issue.  Plus, I don't think there is any truth to our interest, I mean just some twitter rumor that has shown no legs so far. 

Its bad enough he is going to likely get a contract thats inflated above what his on field play has been.  We have room, so I can live with that.  But, to over pay him and also send assets back, thats when I get uncomfortable with a trade for him.  

The only thing I would consider is a swap of first round picks.  If we have to do that and also send another decent pick or better like a 3rd or something, then I hope we pass. 

Clowney is a good player, but he is also not so good we can't find a similar guy some other way (FA, draft, etc).  So the idea of a big contract and losing valuable assets makes me not to keen on going after him.  

I just want to find a creative way to get both Hockenson and Oliver lol

22 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Having Clowney in a rotation and drafting Oliver at DT would fix the pass rush instantly. So many different ways the FO could go, it’s exciting to be relevant again.

QB’s like Brees, Brady and Rivers all like to step up into a clean pocket to make accurate passes. They really don’t like DT’s like Donald. It’s why the Saints and Patriots had all pro interior O-Line man back in their hay day.

Indeed. And it's why, in my mind, a penetrating defensive tackle is the most likely pick at 9 for the Bills. No part of me believes they want to count on Jordan Phillips to be "the guy" at that position.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

He's yet to reach double digit sacks (despite being on the same line as Watt) and he wants Donald and Mack type money.  We'd have to give up a decent draft pick on top of that.  He's great against the run, but you need consistent double digit sack seasons to justify that big of a contract.  There are more cost efficient options.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He's yet to reach double digit sacks (despite being on the same line as Watt) and he wants Donald and Mack type money.  We'd have to give up a decent draft pick on top of that.  He's great against the run, but you need consistent double digit sack seasons to justify that big of a contract.  There are more cost efficient options.

I agree. He doesn’t dominate and take over a game like some of these highest paid guys do. Mack, Donald, Lawrence, guys like that completely take over a game at certain points and can’t be blocked. I’ve never seen Clowney even come close to that kind of consistent pressure 

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I agree. He doesn’t dominate and take over a game like some of these highest paid guys do. Mack, Donald, Lawrence, guys like that completely take over a game at certain points and can’t be blocked. I’ve never seen Clowney even come close to that kind of consistent pressure 

This is certainly true but equally you have to look at how he has been used in Houston. Their bounty of pass rushing options does mean Clowney is not sent Quarterback hunting every time he lines up. Now the question (especially given the news that Houston isn't seeking a long term deal) is whether their evaluation is just that he isn't that good as a pass rusher or whether it is purely a numbers game.

Essentially despite him being a number 1 pick and playing at a high level in the league for 5 years you are still having to do some projection about his ceiling as a pass rusher and that will make any team thinking of spending $18-20m a year on him nervous. 

Conditional 7th.  

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yup, that’s where I’m at too.  His name is bigger than his game.  He is a better version of shaq Lawson.  That’s not worth $20 million.  Plus, he strikes me as a guy who would coast after getting a big deal, especially in Buffalo.  He’s the not as good Mario Williams. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This is certainly true but equally you have to look at how he has been used in Houston. Their bounty of pass rushing options does mean Clowney is not sent Quarterback hunting every time he lines up. Now the question (especially given the news that Houston isn't seeking a long term deal) is whether their evaluation is just that he isn't that good as a pass rusher or whether it is purely a numbers game.

Essentially despite him being a number 1 pick and playing at a high level in the league for 5 years you are still having to do some projection about his ceiling as a pass rusher and that will make any team thinking of spending $18-20m a year on him nervous. 

Agree. He is currently an elite edge run defender. Had 60 pressures last year. I understand some will balk at the money he wants and he won’t be able to live up to it. Kind of similar to the Mario situation but I definitely would not be opposed to the move but would want to swap firsts or something like next years 2nd and this years 3rd. 

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Conditional 7th.  

Yup, that’s where I’m at too.  His name is bigger than his game.  He is a better version of shaq Lawson.  That’s not worth $20 million.  Plus, he strikes me as a guy who would coast after getting a big deal, especially in Buffalo.  He’s the not as good Mario Williams. 

Shaq Lawson? Don’t see it

Edited by ChanticleerBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1