What is fair trade value for Clowney?

On 3/15/2019 at 6:56 AM, chris heff said:

That is interesting and probably true, but wouldn’t that increase the value of a good pass rushing DT? Shortest distance is a straight line.

Yes I think penetrating pass rushing DTs are going to become more valuable in the quick release NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 months later...

If the Texans and Clowney continue to be at an impasse, the value will be going way down.

If any team waits it out, it could be a third rounder at most.

I don't know if the Bills will be in on it, but Clowney's skill set is a perfect fit for McDermott's D.

We shall see.

16 minutes ago, njbuff said:

If the Texans and Clowney continue to be at an impasse, the value will be going way down.

If any team waits it out, it could be a third rounder at most.

I don't know if the Bills will be in on it, but Clowney's skill set is a perfect fit for McDermott's D.

We shall see.

Texans are in win now mode. They are trying to make a super bowl run with the squad and Clowney helps that. They can always tag him again next year at 19 mil or so

14 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Texans are in win now mode. They are trying to make a super bowl run with the squad and Clowney helps that. They can always tag him again next year at 19 mil or so

Can't keep tagging players. Eventually something has to give.

How good do you think Buffalo is going to be?  If they have plans of a playoff run you offer a 1 for Clowney.  Assuming that's a percieved high pick and you feel it's a late first rder.

5 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

How good do you think Buffalo is going to be?  If they have plans of a playoff run you offer a 1 for Clowney.  Assuming that's a percieved high pick and you feel it's a late first rder.

If you have to pay him 20 mill a year and have to give up a first rounder to boot.......................... it's a no go for Beane.

slam dunk for a 3rd.  possibly 3rd and shaq.

clown houghs oliver and star is a monster monster front 4.  w the LBs we have behind them we'd do as well as we did last year in terms of yardage (#2) and allow way fewer red zone conversions, along w more sacks and turnovers.  that kind of talent lets you be scheme diverse on D and actually be at an advantage (or not at a disadvantage) when facing the pats and other smart teams.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I would not be against having him.....but the production numbers dont match the perceived value imo

...and I'd bet he's looking north of $20 mil/yr with a huge chunk guaranteed.....which is probably why "Texans talks have stalled".....don't see it in McBeane's wheel house.....

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I would not be against having him.....but the production numbers dont match the perceived value imo

Unfortunately his athleticism and versatility allow him to impact more than just sack numbers 

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

So much like Hughes.....who I love....

Well, I meant he can drop into zones, or occupy multiple blockers and anything in between.

honestly, a lot of people will think this is a knock but it’d be shades of Mario. Just a big hulking athletic dude that doesn’t need to sell out on a pass rush to be impactful rushing. But can also drop in space too.

What is funny though is I’ve never been around folks that care more about a RB pass blocking or wr run blocking but post Rex it’s almost bannable to say clowney can also hang in coverage 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, njbuff said:

Maybe his personal production doesn't match the contract he wants, but what is his impact on the other 10 defenders on the field?

i do not disagree overall but do you think he continues his impact without Watt and all his money in hand? i think he will impact us less and likely get lazy.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

i do not disagree overall but do you think he continues his impact without Watt and all his money in hand? i think he will impact us less and likely get lazy.

Couldn’t tell you.

I bet you McBeane already knows the answer to it.