NZ Mosque shooting *GRAPHIC* (50 dead) (1 shooter arrested)

1 minute ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

This is something different though.

This isn’t a “news piece” which is actually a fictional accounting designed to drive a narrative; which is where we have traditionally disagreed.

This is an opinion piece.

Are you now saying you wish to criminalize or censor opinion pieces you disagree with?

I don't really differentiate between "news" and "opinion" much anymore.

It's a pointless errand.

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I don't really differentiate between "news" and "opinion" much anymore.

It's a pointless errand.

So, to be clear, you not only want to criminalize misreporting; but also simply the holding of opinions you deem to be “improper”.

Do I have you correctly here?  You’re advocating the implementation of thought crime?

Just now, TakeYouToTasker said:

So, to be clear, you not only want to criminalize misreporting; but also simply the holding of opinions you deem to be “improper”.

Do I have you correctly here?  You’re advocating the implementation of thought crime?

I believe that "journalistic" institutions should be held to a standard of, at a bare minimum, honesty.

I believe that any institution that is proven to be otherwise should have their access to the government revoked.

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I believe that "journalistic" institutions should be held to a standard of, at a bare minimum, honesty.

I believe that any institution that is proven to be otherwise should have their access to the government revoked.

Who determines “honesty”?  The Federal Ministry of Truth?  Is there due process?  Can you appeal?  What would this Ministry of Truth look like under the Obama Administration?

But moving on, we aren’t talking about “news” right now.  We’re talking about an OpEd published by Slate in which the author states her opinion.  Should this be censored?

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

1 minute ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Who determines “honesty”?  The Federal Ministry of Truth?  Is there due process?  Can you appeal?  What would this Ministry of Truth look like under the Obama Administration?

But moving on, we aren’t talking about “news” right now.  We’re talking about an OpEd published by Slate in which the author states her opinion.  Should this be censored?

In an ideal world? I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

To be clear: most opinions *I* hold would be censored already, anyway. So it's not like *I* would experience any loss as such.

Edited by Joe in Winslow

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

In an ideal world? I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

To be clear: most opinions *I* hold would be censored already, anyway. So it's not like *I* would experience any loss as such.

Then you have no ground to argue against the censorship of conservatives and conservative viewpoints by Big Tech.  You support the weapon, and have thereby legitimized it.  You’re honestly not much different than Mao, or Stalin, or Castro in your views.

Then you have no ground to argue against the censorship of conservatives and conservative viewpoints by Big Tech.  You support the weapon, and have thereby legitimized it.  You’re honestly not much different than Mao, or Stalin, or Castro in your views.

That's exactly my complaint. Conservative voices are *ALREADY* shut out. Why shouldn't we want the same of progressive voices?

There's two remedies.

1) Allow us in. Unlikely to happen

2) Silence them.

Agree with that basic premise?

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

That's exactly my complaint. Conservative voices are *ALREADY* shut out. Why shouldn't we want the same of progressive voices?

There's two remedies.

1) Allow us in. Unlikely to happen

2) Silence them.

Agree with that basic premise?

3) Shoot at both groups of tyrannical autocrats when the inevitable revolution comes.

Joe, I’m not willing to live in a world that believes oppression, real oppression, is a legitimate function of government.

7 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

3) Shoot at both groups of tyrannical autocrats when the inevitable revolution comes.

Joe, I’m not willing to live in a world that believes oppression, real oppression, is a legitimate function of government.

I'm trying to understand what you're saying here.  Are you saying it's not real oppression when it's oppressing conservative viewpoints but it is when it's oppressing liberal view points? 

Just trying to follow your logic given the conversation you're having with Joe. 

5 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

I'm trying to understand what you're saying here.  Are you saying it's not real oppression when it's oppressing conservative viewpoints but it is when it's oppressing liberal view points? 

What?

That’s not what I’m saying at all.  You’re clearly unfamiliar with this several year long discussion between Joe and myself; and of my posting history. (There are nearly 20,000 of them advocating for classical liberalism)

My argument is, and has always been, that the Freedom of Speech and of the Press is paramount, and that the suppression of speech of any kind, especially political speech, is the antithesis of a free society; and that I will not draw distinctions between individuals advocating for fascism.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

8 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

What?

That’s not what I’m saying at all.  You’re clearly unfamiliar with this several year long discussion between Joe and myself; and of my posting history. (There are nearly 20,000 of them advocating for classical liberalism)

My argument is, and has always been, that the Freedom of Speech and of the Press is paramount, and that the suppression of speech of any kind, especially political speech, is the antithesis of a free society; and that I will not draw distinctions between individuals advocating for fascism.

That's why I was clarifying.  We're on the same wavelength on this one.  I am a free speech absolutist, along the lines of, I may not believe in what you're saying but will fight to the death for your right to say it.  Let all ideas out into the market place of ideas and the good ones will rise the bad ones will go to the wayside.  That's how I see it too.  Joe is right though, the censure is happening from the left, though I do not agree that we should silence them, we should just not allow the censure to happen anywhere.  I think that is what he was trying to indicate on his A) and B) choices above.  I don't agree with him that all is lost though.  It does not matter where you land on the political spectrum, everyone should fight for free speech.  The problem is, people on the left seem to think they are winning the battle of ideas and are trying to censor others, but they are short sighted.  One day, it will come back to bite them in the form of censorship of their ideas if they're not careful (sadly).  

43 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

Just trying to follow your logic given the conversation you're having with Joe. 

looked that way to me as well....

On 3/15/2019 at 7:54 PM, The_Dude said:

Well I wrote this driving so I’m not looking at my phone. Gotta keep eyes on the road. But it’s imprtanylt for you to know you’re a douche. Your points are all *****. 

Hard to believe a man with an undergrad degree and a library could think that anyone would believe this. You ***** up some grammar, we all do it, admit it. 

Without touching the content of your views or anyone else's, anyone as sure of themselves as you has nothing of value to give. I've never learned a thing from somebody who tries as hard as you do to project intellectual depth. 

38 minutes ago, arcane said:

Hard to believe a man with an undergrad degree and a library could think that anyone would believe this. You ***** up some grammar, we all do it, admit it. 

Without touching the content of your views or anyone else's, anyone as sure of themselves as you has nothing of value to give. I've never learned a thing from somebody who tries as hard as you do to project intellectual depth. 

He's been banned.

He's been banned.

I'm now reading a few pages back into the forum and have a better idea of his history. 

The guy is a faker who isn't aware enough to realize he's faking. 

I don't even have anything to offer on the nature of his views or anyone else's. Probably shouldn't have said anything since that's the case, but I couldn't help it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, arcane said:

I'm now reading a few pages back into the forum and have a better idea of his history. 

The guy is a faker who isn't aware enough to realize he's faking. 

I don't even have anything to offer on the nature of his views or anyone else's. Probably shouldn't have said anything since that's the case, but I couldn't help it. 

And that's more than fair.

Given that I hadn't seen your handle here before, I thought I'd alert you so you didn't start an argument with someone who isn't here.

Cheers.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, arcane said:

we fully understand.