NZ Mosque shooting *GRAPHIC* (50 dead) (1 shooter arrested)

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

14 minutes ago, Justice said:

Trust me bro, this place is best in very small doses and that’s what I recommend to you, because we shouldn’t tell ppl how to think and what to say. This place isn’t about censorship nor should it be. Open dialogue can help and in some cases be hurtful. Just like in society.

The dude is scary though. I’m the Muslim here and I’d bet anything if people had to bet on who’s most likely to go on a violent rampage it’d be him by a mile. I hope he gets help. 

9 minutes ago, Justice said:

Don’t want to go back and find the post about America being a salad bowl instead of a melting pot, but I’d still like to reply. I can’t disagree more. As a first generation American, as are all my cousins, we have assimilated into American culture rapidly and my kid’s even more so. Assimilation is an unstoppable force. I can’t speak for everyone so maybe I’m wrong but in my experience I don’t see it. 

I think it depends on if immigrants settle in a ghetto (ghetto meaning the traditional definition of a ghetto - people of the same ethnic group settling in the same area). My great-grandparents did. My great-grandmother died at 93 speaking almost no English after being in this country for nearly 80 years (she could understand though).  My great-grandfather spoke and understood English very well.  

My in-laws came over from Africa. They assimilated very well even though originally they did settle with "like people". My MIL never lost her accent. My FIL spoke a buncha languages (including English and Arabic) before arriving, so he had an easier time of it.  My BIL sounded like a Chicago dockside worker even though English was not his first language. (My husband's first language at home was English.)

I can't help but wonder if it was more on the person than even the family unit? 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I think it depends on if immigrants settle in a ghetto (ghetto meaning the traditional definition of a ghetto - people of the same ethnic group settling in the same area). My great-grandparents did. My great-grandmother died at 93 speaking almost no English after being in this country for nearly 80 years (she could understand though).  My great-grandfather spoke and understood English very well.  

My in-laws came over from Africa. They assimilated very well even though originally they did settle with "like people". My MIL never lost her accent. My FIl spoke buncha languages (including English and Arabic) before arriving, so he had an easier time of it.  My BIL sounded like a Chicago dockside worker even though English was not his first language. (My husband's first language at home was English.)

I can't help but wonder if it was more on the person than even the family unit? 

This only proves my point. Your BIL assimilated far more than his parents and them more than your grandparents. Over time we all assimilate. No choice. It’s unstoppable. 

4 minutes ago, Justice said:

Don’t want to go back and find the post about America being a salad bowl instead of a melting pot, but I’d still like to reply. I can’t disagree more. As a first generation American, as are all my cousins, we have assimilated into American culture rapidly and my kid’s even more so. Assimilation is an unstoppable force. I can’t speak for everyone so maybe I’m wrong but in my experience I don’t see it. 

See, assimilation is what those of us whose families may have been here for a much longer time want to see from new citizens. It doesn't mean we want you to erase your heritage, it means we don't want you to try to force your heritage or beliefs on us. We have certain traditions that are important to us and you have no right to demand the removal of things like nativity scenes or have us adhere to your religious holidays. What is unacceptable to us is the introduction of practices like Sharia Law and no-go zones like what's happening in Europe.

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

See, assimilation is what those of us whose families may have been here for a much longer time want to see from new citizens. It doesn't mean we want you to erase your heritage, it means we don't want you to try to force your heritage or beliefs on us. We have certain traditions that are important to us and you have no right to demand the removal of things like nativity scenes or have us adhere to your religious holidays. What is unacceptable to us is the introduction of practices like Sharia Law and no-go zones like what's happening in Europe.

100% in a agreement. 

24 minutes ago, meazza said:

My wife is Muslim. 

I hope some dumb ***** on here doesn't call you racist because you brought this up.

I wouldn't be able to read his posts if he did, anyway.

2 of my close friends would be "forced out of home and property" if the Dude got his way and and all Muslims were exiled from the US.

For the other responses to what I said, if the Dude has been banned (didn't look like he has been, but maybe he was), then I'm a little less disgusted with this place.

He's a pretty damn long time poster here, though and he had to know the norms. And if discussion remotely similar to what he was advocating--sympathizing with a White Nationalist murderer, which he was. Advocating the exile of all Muslims from our Country, which he was. Saying that there are too many Muuslims out there in the world to try to kill them all, which is really why the exile option is the best, which he did--is viewed as acceptable here, then it's a good thing I only poke my head in here once in awhile, because every time I decide to do it, I still feel a bit dirty hours after I leave.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

Just now, Justice said:

This only proves my point. Your BIL assimilated far more than his parents and them more than your grandparents. Over time we all assimilate. No choice. It’s unstoppable. 

No, my in-laws all assimilated very well, my BIL's big difference (from his parents) was the lack of accent. It could be that their origins were European, even though they came over from Africa. ?‍♀️

In my family, the assimilation on my mother's side was much better than on my father's side (same ethnic background), although when you start tracing the family tree, my father's side of the family has been much more economically successful over the last 100+ years. 

Again, I cannot help but wonder if it is on the person, rather than the family unit? My grandparents (and their siblings, on both sides) were desperate to "be American".  

11 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I hope some dumb ***** on here doesn't call you racist because you said this.

2 of my close friends would be "forced out of home and property" if the Dude got his way and and all Muslims were exiled from the US.

For any other responses, if the Dude has been banned (didn't look like he has been, but maybe he was), then I'm a little less disgusted with this place.

He's a pretty damn long time poster here, though and he had to know the norms. And if discussion remotely similar to what he was advocating--sympathizing with a White Nationalist murderer, which he was. Advocating the exile of all Muslims from our Country, which he was. Saying that there are too many Muuslims out there in the world to try to kill them all, which is really why the exile option is the best, which he did--is viewed as acceptable here, then it's a good thing I only poke my head in here once in awhile, because every time I decide to do it, I still feel a bit dirty hours after I leave.

one poster provided comments yesterday that stretched the limits of decency and demands for censorship

nobody else was in agreement with these posts, many expressed very strong views against them

sorry if the reality doesn't fit your determined narrative to point your ***** finger at everyone else

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I hope some dumb ***** on here doesn't call you racist because you said this.

For any other responses, if the Dude has been banned (didn't look like he has been, but maybe he was), then I'm a little less disgusted with this place.

Just about everything you have stated above is wrong and you have come here just to create havoc. Till the next time.

10 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Just about everything you have stated above is wrong and you have come here just to create havoc. Till the next time.

i'm not sure if we should be surprised?

Just now, row_33 said:

one poster provided comments yesterday that stretched the limits of decency and demands for censorship

nobody else was in agreement with these posts, many expressed very strong views against them

And he was banned.

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I hope some dumb ***** on here doesn't call you racist because you brought this up.

For the other responses to what I said, if the Dude has been banned (didn't look like he has been, but maybe he was), then I'm a little less disgusted with this place.

Oh, you really are just here to grandstand.  

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

And he was banned.

Are you sure he was banned? He was on an hour ago.

He's got more issues than National Geographic, but I am not certain censorship is the way to go. (The man needs medical help if you ask me, but what do I know?)

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Point out what was wrong.

Please do.

Just about everything. I will not discuss or argue with you because you're posting stuff that is slanted or flat out wrong, so I have determined that you aren't worth my time.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Are you sure he was banned? He was on an hour ago.

He's got more issues than National Geographic, but I am not certain censorship is the way to go. (The man needs medical help if you ask me, but what do I know?)

He has certain points but he doesn't know how to articulate them and was unwilling to cease with the shock comments. No one was going to discuss his legitimate points when he was simultaneously talkingbadshit.

• Thank you (+1) 1