Time to think About Suh?

32 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I keep seeing people stating that McDermott rotates the DTs more than others as a reason FOR drafting one at 9. I saw the number around 40% of snaps for each DT. Even if the new guy gets more snaps it's a bad use of assets to use a top 10 pick on a guy that gets 40 or even 60 percent of snaps. Rahter sign a guy like Suh to fill that role and use such a high pick on someone who is on the field every snap or close to it.

See above. And Star was a bad signing. We drafted Harrison to be Kyle's replacement. Kyle is gone and we added Jordan Phillips.If we need another DT get a free agent draft one later since this class is so deep apparently.

I disagree on use of assets for spending #9 on a DT.  It’d be an excellent use if they get a quality player who can get pressure up the middle and play around 2/3rds of the snaps.  It’s the World Theory.  There are only so many people on the planet with that size, speed and mentality who can do that job.  That’s a guy who will be on the field when the game is non the line.  Now, I am open to other positions too.  We could get a pass rusher or impact player at another position. 

Yeah. I don’t love the Star contract, but it’s not the end of the world. 

Edited by BarleyNY

1 hour ago, Chemical said:

I keep seeing people stating that McDermott rotates the DTs more than others as a reason FOR drafting one at 9. I saw the number around 40% of snaps for each DT. Even if the new guy gets more snaps it's a bad use of assets to use a top 10 pick on a guy that gets 40 or even 60 percent of snaps. Rahter sign a guy like Suh to fill that role and use such a high pick on someone who is on the field every snap or close to it.

See above. And Star was a bad signing. We drafted Harrison to be Kyle's replacement. Kyle is gone and we added Jordan Phillips.If we need another DT get a free agent draft one later since this class is so deep apparently.

Well if thats your expert opinion color me unimpressed.  What Star got paid was market value.  The DT youre looking for gets 16-20 mil not 10mil (Unless you draft him).  If you think he is overpaid then you havnt been paying attention to the contracts that have been getting handed out the last few years.

As for drafting Harrison to be Kyle's replacement, he actually plays the same position as Star but thank you for showing us how much you pay attention to DL play.  That shows us how qualified you are to evaluate such things.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

Well if thats your expert opinion color me unimpressed.  What Star got paid was market value.  The DT youre looking for gets 16-20 mil not 10mil.  If you think he is overpaid then you havnt been paying attention to the contracts that have been getting handed out the last few years.

Sheldon Richardson got 10mil/yr only 3 years. Part of what makes Stars contact bad is flexibility. We can't cut him without serious dead cap until after 2021 (after 2020 it's still 5.2 dead cap).

He's the highest paid player on a team that uses him 40% of snaps and he can only really be used effectively on run plays, leaving the defense open to coordinators seeing him on the field and calling a pass play.

Star is the 9th highest paid DT in the entire league.

Impressed yet?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

I don’t want to understate this....

He’s a human piece of *****.  I don’t want that turdburger with his clown shoes on this team.    He’s dirty AF

This coming from a fan base that loved having Richie Incognito and even wanted him back last offseason.........

1 hour ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Does not fit our mold.

Like Brown or Bell did?

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Sheldon Richardson got 10mil/yr only 3 years. Part of what makes Stars contact bad is flexibility. We can't cut him without serious dead cap until after 2021 (after 2020 it's still 5.2 dead cap).

He's the highest paid player on a team that uses him 40% of snaps and he can only really be used effectively on run plays, leaving the defense open to coordinators seeing him on the field and calling a pass play.

Star is the 9th highest paid DT in the entire league.

Impressed yet?

Was Sheldon Richardson a FA last offseason?  Like I said he got market value.  I will admit I would have prefered Richardson, but he wasnt available that Im aware of and I would have prefered less gauratees and length.

10 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

This coming from a fan base that loved having Richie Incognito and even wanted him back last offseason.........

Like Brown or Bell did?

Although I agree that posters overplay the characted card.  I agree that if he wasnt full go then he doesnt fit our mold.  However at this point that is just hearsay.

11 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Was Sheldon Richardson a FA last offseason?  Like I said he got market value.  I will admit I would have prefered Richardson, but he wasnt available that Im aware of and I would have prefered less gauratees and length.

Although I agree that posters overplay the characted card.  I agree that if he wasnt full go then he doesnt fit our mold.  However at this point that is just hearsay.

Sheldon Richardson played for the Vikings on a one year, $8M contract last season.  Pretty sure he’d have come here for $10M. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/sheldon-richardson-12293/cash-earnings/

Edited by BarleyNY

10 hours ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

He signed 1 year deal for $14M last year and played well.   If we can't get A top end edge rusher in FA or via a trade, Would it be a good idea to sign Suh to a 2 year deal and Draft a edge rusher like Sweet?  We can easily give Suh 2 years $22M. He is a serious player and I think would actually fit in Well here

I don't see it happening

Suh has actually been a very good player the last few years. He was hardly the reason the Miami defense struggled, and I have no idea why Gase got rid of him.  He was the best player on that unit in 2016, his last year there, although Wake had a good season too.  He also mostly dominated the o-linemen facing him in the playoffs this past season.

Not sure what games folks are watching with regard to Suh. When he faced off against the Bills while in Miami, he was rag-dolling the man across from him regularly. 

10 hours ago, Magnum Force said:

Ok don't laugh....What about Clay Matthews if the price is low....our LBs could learn a lot from him...I know he is older and not what he once was but if the price was right ...would he be a fit?  He would sell a lot of jerseys.  He probably wouldn't come here anyways...I assume if GB or maybe a Superbowl contender like NE doesn't sign him he will retire.

Doesn't fit our scheme IMO.

3 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

You do know we rotate our DTs right?  If we dont sign or trade for someone then expect a DT in the first.

Yeah I expect us to add more, but no guarantees it'll have to be in the first (DE would be more than welcome as well). A lot of what I was saying was in regards to why we don't need Suh in particular - his asking price, age  and "DNA" don't fit the team. He's better of going to an established contender or the biggest offer, which won't be us, if we're even interested in the first place.