Time to think About Suh?

Ok don't laugh....What about Clay Matthews if the price is low....our LBs could learn a lot from him...I know he is older and not what he once was but if the price was right ...would he be a fit?  He would sell a lot of jerseys.  He probably wouldn't come here anyways...I assume if GB or maybe a Superbowl contender like NE doesn't sign him he will retire.

Edited by Magnum Force

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You are going to get flack for this I am sure, but its honestly not a bad idea, its just not very likely. 

I don't actually think Beane sees DT as a need right now.  People are grossly over looking both Jordan and Phillips.  Jordan is better than people think because they forget he joined the team mid season and we already had Kyle and Star as starters.  He is also on a 1 year prove it deal and will be hungry to prove he is a starter.  Phillips is also a guy they drafted to be a potential Kyle replacement and who they seem to like a lot who didn't see the field a lot with guys like Kyle, Star, and then Jordan.  

So, I actually do not think they will sign another DT like a Suh for instance nor do I really think they will draft one.  A guy like Oliver is hard to pass up, but honestly, Bills haven't been looking at any DT's in FA or trade, but have been looking around for pass rushers.  So I think come draft time we are going to draft an EDGE rusher (if we dont sign one in FA still or trade for one) or a TE...possibly Metcalf (although I think with Cole and Brown, they will wait until 2nd or 3rd round to grab a WR).

They don't really know what they have in Jordan and Phillips, so I think they are going to let those guys battle out for the starter job and see how they do this year and then if neither cease control they will look at DT in next years draft or free agency.  

Jordan is depth...period. Harry may become an OK DT, but he certainly isn't there yet. DT is most definitely a need and there's bound to be a good one at the #9 spot.

2 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Jordan is depth...period. Harry may become an OK DT, but he certainly isn't there yet. DT is most definitely a need and there's bound to be a good one at the #9 spot.

And how do you know this?  Jordan played a partial year here.  And they liked what they saw and made him a priority to keep him.  Given his lack of time to prove his worth, they agreed on a 1 year prove it deal and he will be hungry and seems to want to earn a long term deal in Buffalo.  

How do you know Phillips isn't there yet?  Thats easy to say, but really you have no information to say that.  We aren't at practices, we don't see him in the meetings, we don't know how he has progressed because he was behind Kyle and Star last year.  They didn't draft him to sit on the bench for 5 years, they drafted him to hopefully succeed Kyle.  And he was one of the big favorites all through camp last year with coaches and teammates raving about him.  

So I have a hard time believing they are not going to give the 2nd year DT they just drafted a shot to win the job before investing a high pick in another DT.  And especially since they also have Jordan who at the very least will compete with Phillips to push each other.  

7 hours ago, MJS said:

He's overrated and over paid.

I don't think he's overrated, he just lacks motivation. He only plays when he wants to and that is unacceptable on this team. You'd think playing with Donald would motivate him to have a monster year. NOT! He's just out for a paycheck and is trying to remain on the West Coast.

7 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

He was a beast in the playoffs but coasted in the regular season, and he's looking to get paid above anything else. He won't be fully motivated or fit our team well whatsoever. Star, Phillips, and Phillips are enough at the moment, and our DL will more than likely improve via the draft. 

You do know we rotate our DTs right?  If we dont sign or trade for someone then expect a DT in the first.

7 hours ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

You really think he's not worth what we pay Star?  And how do you know he's over payed? He hasn't signed yet. What if he was only like $8-9M a year. 

I don’t see Suh signing for $8-9M/yr.  Heck, we gave Star 5/$50M.   I’d rather have paid a little more and gotten Suh (on a shorter deal) though. 

13 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

You do know we rotate our DTs right?  If we dont sign or trade for someone then expect a DT in the first.

It’s a very good bet. 

8 hours ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

He signed 1 year deal for $14M last year and played well.   If we can't get A top end edge rusher in FA or via a trade, Would it be a good idea to sign Suh to a 2 year deal and Draft a edge rusher like Sweet?  We can easily give Suh 2 years $22M. He is a serious player and I think would actually fit in Well here

Google "Suh dirty stomp". And erase this notion that we should sign him. 

Not a chance in Hell

9 minutes ago, Chemical said:

a rotational player in the 1st?

Yup?  We have a rotational player getting 50 mil over 5 years?  Or do you think we should draft a bunch of 7th rounders since we use line rotation.  You ppl are way to hung up on starter /non starters in a D that has line rotation and an offense that will have WR packages based on route concepts Lol.

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Youd expect him to start, but DTs are almost always rotated a lot.  Besides, it’s not like you’d want Star in on passing downs 

I keep seeing people stating that McDermott rotates the DTs more than others as a reason FOR drafting one at 9. I saw the number around 40% of snaps for each DT. Even if the new guy gets more snaps it's a bad use of assets to use a top 10 pick on a guy that gets 40 or even 60 percent of snaps. Rahter sign a guy like Suh to fill that role and use such a high pick on someone who is on the field every snap or close to it.

3 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Yup?  We have a rotational player getting 50 mil over 5 years?  Or do you think we should draft a bunch of 7th rounders since we use line rotation.  You ppl are way to hung up on starter /non starters in a D that has line rotation and an offense that will have WR packages based on route concepts Lol.

See above. And Star was a bad signing. We drafted Harrison to be Kyle's replacement. Kyle is gone and we added Jordan Phillips.If we need another DT get a free agent draft one later since this class is so deep apparently.

Edited by Chemical

8 hours ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

He signed 1 year deal for $14M last year and played well.   If we can't get A top end edge rusher in FA or via a trade, Would it be a good idea to sign Suh to a 2 year deal and Draft a edge rusher like Sweet?  We can easily give Suh 2 years $22M. He is a serious player and I think would actually fit in Well here

what do you mean by he's a serious player?