One player who is most responsible for Bills franchise history

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I mean the sad part is that it’s probably Norwood. If he makes the kick he’s never thought of as the reason we won a super bowl. But because he missed the kick...he’s the closest thing to being individually responsible. That kick changes every narrative about the Bills. If we make it, the next 3 Super Bowls don’t even have to happen or matter. That team would be remembered as it should be be and the Bills wouldn’t be a team that never won but lost 4 straight.

Sad to say, you nailed it.

LT was a generational player who defined the Giants for a short period of time. I could argue that Eli had a bigger singular impact on that franchise's history than LT despite being a far inferior player. It's before my time, but Y.A. Tittle might be the titular holder of the crown for the Giants.

28 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I mean the sad part is that it’s probably Norwood. If he makes the kick he’s never thought of as the reason we won a super bowl. But because he missed the kick...he’s the closest thing to being individually responsible. That kick changes every narrative about the Bills. If we make it, the next 3 Super Bowls don’t even have to happen or matter. That team would be remembered as it should be be and the Bills wouldn’t be a team that never won but lost 4 straight.

18 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It's Norwood and it's not even close.  If he makes that FG the entire history of the Bills and Buffalo is different.  The miss is more famous than any other play in Buffalo sports history and has defined the franchise for 3 decades ever since.

Back then a 47 yard FG was less than a sure thing.  I hear what you say but he was asked to do the improbable. 

I mean all told, everyone from the past is done. They didn’t deliver what we all still hope for. So it could be Josh Allen. His story isn’t written yet and he hasn’t fallen short yet. He represents hope and if he turns into what he should be...he might give us 9 or 10 looks at it before it’s all over.

Doug Flutie.  Lagging sales of luxury suites and Ralph Wilson's ultimatum (maybe only a phony one--but we really do not know) had the franchise here in doubt.  Flutie as a starting QB injected energy into the team and spurred demand for luxury suites and they were able to hit the threshold (it was $9 million--maybe?)   Anyways, that's what is deposited in my memory bank which often has insufficient funds, much like my other bank accounts.  Anyways, enthusiasm for the franchise was waning at a critical juncture in franchise history and Flutie was the dose of prednisone they needed at the time.

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Kelly is the obvious answer.

Captain Hindsight would say Blesode.  If Bledsoe pays better in '03 we don't draft Losman and '04 and likely wait a year.  The 2nd best rated quarterback on the board was Aaron Rodgers in '05.

You don't know me ?

I'd say Reggie Williams. Who the Jaguars just had to have instead of trading with us to aquire Roethlisberger 

One could say OJ; picking him was the impetus to the new stadium and kept the team in Buffalo.  And of course Kelly.  I'll throw Mike Stratton out there.  His hit in Keith Lincoln paved the way for their first AFL championship which in turn solidified the fan base.