One player who is most responsible for Bills franchise history

I am watching “A Football Life - Lawrence Taylor” and tt makes me think that a once in a generation player changed the course of Bills history.  The Giants likely would have lost to the 49’rs in the NFC game had it not been for LT.  Who knows what would have happened had the bills faced the Niners instead of the Giants.

What is most impressive about LT is that he may well be the most dominant player to ever play football.  He was without doubt a game changing player.

I see two "most notable" items and therefore notable faces in Bills post merger NFL history.  Those would be:

1. The four straight Super Bowl appearances & losses - the faces of the franchise there were Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, & Bruce Smith.  You might say the single memorable event there was "wide right" so you could say Scott Norwood.

2.  The first 2000 yard rusher - the face there is OJ.  

Take your choice between them.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Only two choices....     O.J. Simpson or Jim Kelly.  

The answer in large part depends on how old you are.  I was just a little kid when the Juice was Loose.  Kelly is more my era so I vote Jimbo.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I see most people didn't understand the point of this thread....

OP, there is one man....

Ralph Wilson.

Interesting thought thought, I did say player.  I brought up LT because had the Bills won the first SB who knows what their legacy would be.  It is a matter of conjecture.  But an interesting thought is that had the Bills won and then fallen apart maybe the result would be fewer HOF careers. 

Kelly is the obvious answer.

Captain Hindsight would say Blesode.  If Bledsoe pays better in '03 we don't draft Losman and '04 and likely wait a year.  The 2nd best rated quarterback on the board was Aaron Rodgers in '05.

Edited by Doc Brown

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Kelly is the obvious answer.

Captain Hindsight would say Blesode.  If Bledsoe pays better in '03 we don't draft Losman and '04 and likely wait a year.  The 2nd best rated quarterback on the board was Aaron Rodgers in '05.

Interesting... less than obvious...

I mean the sad part is that it’s probably Norwood. If he makes the kick he’s never thought of as the reason we won a super bowl. But because he missed the kick...he’s the closest thing to being individually responsible. That kick changes every narrative about the Bills. If we make it, the next 3 Super Bowls don’t even have to happen or matter. That team would be remembered as it should be be and the Bills wouldn’t be a team that never won but lost 4 straight.