Clowney/Franchise Tag question

Virgil

If we offered Clowney a deal after the draft, would we owe the Texans a first round pick next year?   

Can we wait until after the draft to do that?

If it costs a 1st next year, I’m in 

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

If we offered Clowney a deal after the draft, would we owe the Texans a first round pick next year?   

Can we wait until after the draft to do that?

If it costs a 1st next year, I’m in 

Why couldn’t we offer them that now? No need to wait til the draft for that right?

4 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Why couldn’t we offer them that now? No need to wait til the draft for that right?

I think if we sign him now, they automatically get our first this year.  

They’d have to agree to take next years first.  But why would they if they get this years automatically?

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

They’d have to agree to take next years first.  But why would they if they get this years automatically?

For the same reason they would want to trade a franchised player, so they don’t let a good player go for nothing.

17 minutes ago, Virgil said:

If we sign him now they get our next 2 firsts.  Im not sure if there is a deadline to make an offer sheet.

The best bet would be to work out compensation with the texans and sign him after the trade. Signing him to an offer sheet would be dumb

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Something about Clowney doesn't feel right to me. Don't know why. 

My issue with Clowney and I realize this may rub some folks the wrong way is that to me, he hasn’t lived up to his overall draft status. This guy was a number 1 overall pick IIRC and quite honestly, I’m not so sure he’d be worth surrendering a high pick for

Is he designated "non-exclusive"?  If he is designated exclusive you can't make him an offer at all.  But they can trade him to you for whatever compensation you negotiate like a regular trade.  If he's non-exclusive then you can, but if he signs an offer sheet you have to give up compensation.

Looks like he was designated non-exclusive after looking it up.  Signed offer sheets require 2 first round picks as compensation if not matched.  So if done after draft it would be 2020 and 2021.  Hard pass on that.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Clowney's TFL and pressures are very impressive. He is easily a top 10 pass rusher, if we could get him for a 2rd and a 4th I would do it in a heartbeat if his contract demands are reasonable. The Texans don't have the cap space to re-sign Clowney so they have very little leverage in a trade.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

My issue with Clowney and I realize this may rub some folks the wrong way is that to me, he hasn’t lived up to his overall draft status. This guy was a number 1 overall pick IIRC and quite honestly, I’m not so sure he’d be worth surrendering a high pick for

I agree. He has not lived up to the hype. Don't get me wrong, he' good, just not the dominant player many thought he would be. Mack was the best player in that draft. When the Bills moved up in the draft that fateful night, I was sure they did it to pick Mack. But of course, I put too much faith in Whaley as he took  Watkins. ?

18 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Clowney's TFL and pressures are very impressive. He is easily a top 10 pass rusher, if we could get him for a 2rd and a 4th I would do it in a heartbeat if his contract demands are reasonable. The Texans don't have the cap space to re-sign Clowney so they have very little leverage in a trade.

The demands wont be.  He will want Von Miller money.  He impacts a game without always getting the sacks.  Something many edge rushers cannot say.  Watt gets half as many sacks last year if Clowney is not on the field.  Clowney beats his man, disrupts the play, Qb scrambles right into Watt.  Clowney plays like he is the Tazmanian Devil.  Maybe over aggressive at times but an element lacking on defense.  

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

they have to cap space to franchise him...   they can structure that a million way to cost less than the cap hit they are taking now.  I really just depends on if they want to keep him or not. 

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Clowney was 24th in the NFL in sacks, so he isn't close to top 10. He is still a great player, and worth a 2nd and 4th as you listed depending on his contract. Some were saying he wanted to be the highest paid defender .

2 hours ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

He's been living off of one remarkable hit in college, and people think he's that player 24-7.

The hit wasn't even that great. 275lbs DE hitting a 160lbs RB unblocked.