Why are the Browns the sexy pick?

On 3/14/2019 at 6:49 PM, CaptnCoke11 said:

There’s a separate forum for non Bills news

there is?  Huh.

(no)

On 3/14/2019 at 6:50 PM, The Red King said:

Thanks for that helpful tidbit, except this post is questioning why the Browns are given a free pass while the Bills have to prove themselves, so it is Bills' relevant. ?

No such place.

The Browns are being pumped up because their roster is incredible. They have great lines, a shut down corner, one the best play makers in the league, and a young QB who looks like a perennial all pro. I’d put them below NE and KC but they’re definitely in that next tier IMO. 

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah well I’m pretty sure everybody understands that the question is being asked without yet seeing the product on the field. 

Is it really a stretch to ask, after NE and KC, who might be the next best team in the AFC....and that that team certainly could be the Browns at this point?  Who else would it be?  Steelers are falling out.  Chargers are a culture of chokers.  Texans?  Indy?

I would say Indy. If their defensive acquisitions along with Parris Campbell work out, they could actually overtake KC or NE.

The Browns are definitely in the conversation. If Josh Allen makes a quantum leap, the Bills could be in that 2nd tier as well. 

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/14/2019 at 7:47 PM, The Red King said:

Following free agency, I hopped over to nfl.com and saw an article on whether or not the Patriots were still the favorites.  Poking through the comments though, I saw no mention of the improvements the Bills and Jets have made, most noting the AFC East will be a cakewalk for the Pats.  Okay, I get it, improvements on paper are one thing, but you gotta show improvement on the field.  At the same time, one analyst mentions the Chiefs and Browns as competition.  And the official website poll asks which team is the best in the AFC.  The options are the Pats, the Chiefs, and the...Browns? ?  Not the Chargers, not the Steelers, not the Ravens...the Browns.

Yes, the Browns have improved since last year, but they went 7-8-1, a losing record.  How do they get included in "best of the AFC" discussions without having to prove anything?  Last year was no different, despite going 0-16, some people were picking them to make and even go deep in the playoffs!  I guess I'm just wondering why teams like the Bills and Jets have to prove themselves and the Browns, who have been categorically/historically worse then them get a free pass and become the sexy favorite?

It's the same reason the Redskins were the media darlings years ago when they signed a bunch of big name free agents. It didn't work out as planned.

34 minutes ago, Nester said:

If you cant see why the browns look amazing on paper this year, you don't know football.

It's less not knowing football and much more simple homerism that refuses to acknowledge that any team except the Bills can turn around long-term crappiness. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’ll wait and see on this one.

It’s typical of the fans and media to cream over a NEW ”toy” team because they all want a fresh face, even though the fresh face has a disastrous recent history with nothing to suggest that they will make this quantum leap.

Telling us the Browns are a step below last seasons AFC Championship game participants is just laughable right now.

Let the Browns prove something first before we anoint them anything.

It’s fun and perfectly reasonable to speculate upon which teams will contend next year. Such speculation would logically center around teams who made “splashy” acquisitions in the offseason or who finished the previous year on a high note. 

It’s not at all surprising to see Cleveland at the top of that list. What is mildly surprising to me is the lack of consideration given to how Buffalo finished the 2018 season, combined with all of their offseason acquisitions. Gil Brandt is the first national media member I’ve seen call the Bills a playoff team. 

On 3/14/2019 at 6:50 PM, The Red King said:

...wish I was making it up.

Poll.jpg

Thanks for that helpful tidbit, except this post is questioning why the Browns are given a free pass while the Bills have to prove themselves, so it is Bills' relevant. ?

Free pass to what.  

Stop worrying about the media, they don’t play the games. 

On 3/14/2019 at 7:54 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

Isn’t it obvious why people are expecting them to be good? They have the most talented roster in the AFC. Maybe they don’t get there this year but they are loaded.

After two decades of top 5 talent (due to drafting top 5) masked by horrid coaching and management they’re due ? 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

On 3/14/2019 at 9:40 PM, Chill said:

The Browns are last years Vikings... they’ll never be good, regardless of talent. 

If anything, they’re more like the Rams. Supplement a a group of promising young players with impact players with red flags.

This shouldn’t be shocking to anyone. NE, KC, and Pittsburgh aren’t going to rule the AFC forever and the changing of the guard has already begun. I expect the Browns to take over Pittsburgh’s perennial AFC North spot. That almost seems like a given (which would make them, one of the best 4 teams in the AFC). 

The question for all of us is, who is going to take the AFC East from the Pats? Or are we just going to let them run with it forever...

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/14/2019 at 7:54 PM, The Red King said:

Yeah, but best in the entire AFC?

If they win that division they're arguably one of 3 in the discussion. I'm not sure what your problem is with this? Rivers has constantly struggled in the playoffs since LT left.

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

The Browns are no better then the Bills. The Browns will screw it all up, never fails

If we were Pitsburgh or the Ravens I'd agree. This franchise and its fans have no right to look down anyone. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Alright, since some are still missing the point, lemmie try again...

I am not saying the Browns can't be a better team.  I'm not saying they can't possibly end up as good as the Pats or Chargers.  Not saying that at all.  My problem is, they went 7-8-1 last season, a losing record.  They made some changes that make them look good on paper alone.  Yet, despite all that, people are already willing to put them on par with the Pats and Chargers before a single snap is played.  That's where I take issue.  The potential is there, yes, but maybe wait and see how all the parts actually work together for a game or two before crowning them best of the AFC.

The Browns are a sexy pick because it gives sports reporters an excuse for some mental m*sturb*tion

Until they prove otherwise, the Browns are a third place team

*edit, really?  m*sturb*tion is blocked?

Edited by /dev/null

On 3/14/2019 at 8:02 PM, NewEra said:

Superstars.  They have 3-4 potential. We have 1 potential and another that’s considered old

Shady the old superstar

Josh Allen can be a superstar

ed Oliver can be a superstar

I wouldn’t say 1 potential 

20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Shady the old superstar

Josh Allen can be a superstar

ed Oliver can be a superstar

I wouldn’t say 1 potential 

We didn’t have Oliver in March when this was posted.  Minus 1.  Shady is old and not a superstar anymore.  Minus 2.  Allen?  Potential.  

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We didn’t have Oliver in March when this was posted.  Minus 1.  Shady is old and not a superstar anymore.  Minus 2.  Allen?  Potential.  

Well I wasn’t looking at the date it was posted   

So Oliver and Allen still have that potential 

i wasnt taking a shot at your post