Why are the Browns the sexy pick?

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Dave Njoku or Kroft/Croom

Njoku's really the talent on the Browns everybody is overlooking. He's going to be very good. And Baker has shown he likes throwing the TE routes.

There's not many elite TE's in the league that are capable of the production Njoku can develop into and that creates matchup nightmares.. next to already elite pass catchers as well. It'll be a pick your poison passing offense.

Those saying the egos make the Browns boom or bust.. I don't get it. They can already do without a few of their new acquisitions if they need to.. and they're much better with them. And how many times do we say this about teams. It just takes strong coaching and leadership.. the Rams stacked the deck with questionable character players. Teams make this play all the time and it pays off just as often as it doesn't. Can't see them getting worse with the acquisitions but they can obviously be much better if coached right.

OBJ flaming out won't make competitors on the team play worse. They're success just depends on if everybody on the team wants to win.

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

That isn’t true. They were saving for this, but they actually kept their active spending and cash spending up in recent years. It was a function of horrible drafting and losing.  They did not have many second contracts to give out and they had to overpay dearly for free agents.

What looked like a massive amount of cap space was due to carryover from many seasons. The Bills looked to have similar cap space this season, but the reality was very different.  The Bills has very little carryover.  Their space was a function of having had spent up to the cap recently and, after cutting ties with many players and taking a lot of dead money last season, having relatively little cap space dedicated to contracts.  It’s the difference between having $60M in the bank and being set to spend $60M less than your budget annually. 

IIRC in 2017 the Browns played EVERY one of their draft picks in lieu of chasing Free agents and ended up with ZERO wins.

They got what they planned for .  Suckitude 

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

IIRC in 2017 the Browns played EVERY one of their draft picks in lieu of chasing Free agents and ended up with ZERO wins.

They got what they planned for .  Suckitude 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/cap/2017/

I’m sure they did plan to tank, but their cap number that season was less than $10M under the allocated cap (see link above).  They carried over $50M into the 2017 season though so their available cap space looked really good - almost $60M.  They also had a ton of dead cap due to cutting ties with a bunch of draft busts and underperforming FAs - and buying a pick with the Osweiler trade.  And that last one shows you how desperate (and not cheap) they were.  They bought a second round pick by eating Osweiler’s guaranteed salary. 

Now scroll back back through all of the years on Spotrac and look at the NFL salary cap amounts and the total cap expenditures for the Browns. In only two seasons are their cap expenditures more than $10M below the NFL Cap - 2011 and 2015.  In some of the other season they were at or over the NFL Cap for the season. I noted this when other Browns fans saw their available cap space and accused them of not trying and trying to make money.  No.  It was worse than that.  They were spending.  That was their trying. 

So yeah, leading up to 2017 they ate a ton of dead money and tanked. They got their QB and have money to spend again and they’re doing it.  They amassed a lot of picks and drafted extremely well. That’s been huge. And now maybe they do well.  What was wrong with that plan?

The Browns are a sexy pick because:

1.)  They seem to have added talent to a team that last year was on the rise.  They might be legit good.

2.)  They have added a lot of the 'big name' players.  They are putting together the type of team that most causual fantasy football players would want. Once again, it may not work, or it very well may work.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 months later...

Bills, Jets, Dolphins, and Browns are most dependent on the progress of their young QBs. Browns probably have the best defense and on paper the best collection of offensive skill players. 

I think OBJ is overrated but I think the Browns pass rush is going to get even better. 

It's all about Mayfield though.  

Baker had one of the best rookie seasons in a long time. The team won 7 games and a tie, the team acquired a big name player in Odell (as well as Hunt) and some defensive talent of note (Vernon, Richardson, and Greedy.) Overall I think it is understandable to think a QB who had success as a rookie will have more success with greater skill position players around him and the defense which was decent in 2018 could be improved given the talent acquisitions. 

The Jets acquired some sexy players but they had a horrid record and their roster has more questions. The Bills acquisitions were more wide spread but less top heavy and the national media doesn't pay attention to the Bills much let along a Bills team coming off of 6 wins. 

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Bills, Jets, Dolphins, and Browns are most dependent on the progress of their young QBs. Browns probably have the best defense and on paper the best collection of offensive skill players. 

I think OBJ is overrated but I think the Browns pass rush is going to get even better. 

It's all about Mayfield though.  

Their defense has some talent, but it’s a giant question mark to me with the new scheme. It was bad overall with Gregg, but got a ton of turnovers which made it look better. They should have a good Pass rush but they really need to get better vs the run. Steve Wilkes is the DC so the scheme should be similar to what the Bills run. I’m interested to see those players in that scheme. Gregg had some questionable strategies. I think it should be more solid/consistent on a week to week basis.

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Baker had one of the best rookie seasons in a long time. The team won 7 games and a tie, the team acquired a big name player in Odell (as well as Hunt) and some defensive talent of note (Vernon, Richardson, and Greedy.) Overall I think it is understandable to think a QB who had success as a rookie will have more success with greater skill position players around him and the defense which was decent in 2018 could be improved given the talent acquisitions. 

The Jets acquired some sexy players but they had a horrid record and their roster has more questions. The Bills acquisitions were more wide spread but less top heavy and the national media doesn't pay attention to the Bills much let along a Bills team coming off of 6 wins. 

I feel like the Bills have been getting a TON of love nationally, actually! 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/15/2019 at 2:48 PM, Augie said:

How on earth is Haslam supposed to mess this up? 

...and how the hell could Augie UNDERESTIMATE "Rebate Jimmy"?.....plenty of talent and egos for a greenhorn HC to try and control...stay tuned.......

On 3/14/2019 at 8:03 PM, The Red King said:

Again, this isn't about whether or not Cleveland could be good.  It's about the media already putting them on par with NE and KC with nothing being proven.  Yes, they have a roster that could go to the big game, no doubt.  Don't think I'm quite ready to say with certainty already that they're as good as NE and KC.  Not without seeing a bit of the product on the field.

Yeah well I’m pretty sure everybody understands that the question is being asked without yet seeing the product on the field. 

Is it really a stretch to ask, after NE and KC, who might be the next best team in the AFC....and that that team certainly could be the Browns at this point?  Who else would it be?  Steelers are falling out.  Chargers are a culture of chokers.  Texans?  Indy?

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1